Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

I was telling anyone who would listen that Seattle would win that one. A combination of New Orleans' injuries, underperformances by reigning Super Bowl winners the following year (not named the Patriots), the overall parity in the league this year, going out west to play at Qwest Field, and really, just probably taking the Seahawks lightly was as sure a bet as I could imagine for Seattle. I don't gamble, but that game made me wish I did. Lots of unrealized profit would have been had on Saturday.

I didn't post any picks for last week but here is what I had:

Seahawks

Packers

Colts

Ravens

I felt good about all of them. I thought Peyton would manage to overcome his team's injuries.

Here is who I tentatively have this week:

Patriots over Jets

Ravens over Steelers*

Seahawks over Bears*

Packers over Falcons

I'm comfortable with Packers and Patriots taking care of things (GB/NE is my Super Bowl pick going into the postseason).

*I still have to ruminate a bit over CHI/SEA and PIT/BAL. Chicago *should* win, but their bye week and general history have me uncertain. Seattle probably thinks it could beat anyone at the moment. I may flip on this one yet.

PIT/BAL could simply go either way. Ben Roethlisberger is a piece of s*** human being so I'd like to see Ravens pull it off (and I think BAL would give a better game against NE), but I'm still torn on this one.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 10:00 AM)
People are way to concerned about the Packers running game. It's not 1976. You don't need to run the ball. If the Packers picked up 75 yards rushing on Saturday I would be happy.

Of course they don't have to run the ball to win, they have proven that. But if teams have to worry about the running game as well, that makes Aaron Rodgers that much more dangerous.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 10:00 AM)
People are way to concerned about the Packers running game. It's not 1976. You don't need to run the ball.

I can tell your a Packers fan, but did you see what the Bears offense looked like earlier in the year before they were running the ball? It pretty much consisted of Cutler eating dirt and throwing the ball to the other team (which I know he has done a lot in his career, but not since the bye week) The Packers would have made it into the playoffs much easier if they had Ryan Grant this season as well.

I can't see one game where a lack of a running game was the obvious reason we lost.

The Bears and Packers run completely different offenses.

If I had to have one injured player back this year it wouldn't be Grant, it would be Finley. Its not even close.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)
I still like a tall, fast WR....not sure if he was hurt or they just don't like him anymore. He had a couple catches the first couple games then never saw him again.

He dropped a couple easy ones at the beginning of the season and that was it for him it seemed.

Hub Arkush basically called the Starks story sorry grapes on the part of Greg Gabriel and then went into how he and the other guy the Bears fired are viewed in NFL circles. Gabriel went to Buffalo and was an RB same as Starks and they had a relationship that Gabriel was hoping to carry into the NFL. Hub pointed out that Gabriel can not get a simple scouting job in the NFL.

Now you know the rest ofthe story.

Aromashadu has bounced around and it appears the Bears are not high on him so there must be a reason. Not sure the Bears though are running better guys out there.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)
I can't see one game where a lack of a running game was the obvious reason we lost.

The Bears and Packers run completely different offenses.

If I had to have one injured player back this year it wouldn't be Grant, it would be Finley. Its not even close.

Being able to run the football is a huge asset to a football team, and if you can't run the football, you will become one-dimensional and teams will sit back in coverage and get pressure on the QB. If the Packers didn't believe they needed to run the ball, then they would simply throw the ball 100% of the time.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)

I don't watch most Packers games, but I'm sure that defenses not having to worry about you guys running the ball has cost you some offensive production and a game or two. Hell, if Starks didn't show up in that playoff game it might have been an Eagles W.

When you have a great passing game, you only need to have an average running game. Sure you don't want to average 1.9 yards per carry, but anything around 3.5 will do. Look at the Arizona Cardinals from two years ago. They were ranked what 31st in the league in rushing. They got to the Super Bowl against a great defense and ran the ball 9 times.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
When you have a great passing game, you only need to have an average running game. Sure you don't want to average 1.9 yards per carry, but anything around 3.5 will do. Look at the Arizona Cardinals from two years ago. They were ranked what 31st in the league in rushing. They got to the Super Bowl against a great defense and ran the ball 9 times.

Yeah and the opposite is often true as well. The more balanced team is the one that will usually win it all though.

That Starks story is complete garbage. Gabriel trying to throw stones since he can't get a job in the NFL. Oh my goodness he ran the ball 29 times for 101 yards in the regular season and then had one big playoff game. However will the Bears survive without this surefire super star?

The 6th round of the draft is a crapshoot. It's almost comical that he was clearly just waiting for one good game to publish that piece...and it came in the 18th week of the season. Good job Greg Gabriel...have fun ever getting a NFL GM or executive to ever trust you.

Edited by WHarris1

I don't think the Bears will take the Seahawks lightly, they were beaten by them earlier this season so hopefully the Bears will want some payback.

I'm predicting a big game by Forte, BTW.

Last week I had the Saints, Jets, Ravens and Packers...3/4 not bad.

This week...Ravens, Packers, Bears and Jets.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
I don't think the Bears will take the Seahawks lightly, they were beaten by them earlier this season so hopefully the Bears will want some payback.

I'm predicting a big game by Forte, BTW.

Last week I had the Saints, Jets, Ravens and Packers...3/4 not bad.

This week...Ravens, Packers, Bears and Jets.

The Bears didn't have Briggs the first time they played the Seahawks. They also don't play til Sunday. So if the Packers win on Saturday - I gotta imagine they'd be really pumped up knowing that if they beat the Seahawks they will host the packers at home with the winner going to the superbowl.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
The Bears didn't have Briggs the first time they played the Seahawks. They also don't play til Sunday. So if the Packers win on Saturday - I gotta imagine they'd be really pumped up knowing that if they beat the Seahawks they will host the packers at home with the winner going to the superbowl.

Do you really think that matters?? If the Bears have to play in Atlanta with the winner going to the Super Bowl, instead of Chicago, you think they won't be as pumped up? And wouldn't Seattle be just as pumped up to play the NFC Champ. game in front of their home crowd, which just carried them to two straight playoff wins?

If Seattle beats the Bears, Seattle has a home game against the Pack if the Pack beats Atlanta. I am sure the NFL is liking how that could work out.

In reality if the Pack wins, the NBA fix should be thought of as a Pack/Bears NFC Championship game would be quite the story. The refs can give the Bears the old home court advantage in the name of NFL prosperity.

On the other side of the docket all four teams are a good draw.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 03:11 PM)
If Seattle beats the Bears, Seattle has a home game against the Pack if the Pack beats Atlanta. I am sure the NFL is liking how that could work out.

In reality if the Pack wins, the NBA fix should be thought of as a Pack/Bears NFC Championship game would be quite the story. The refs can give the Bears the old home court advantage in the name of NFL prosperity.

On the other side of the docket all four teams are a good draw.

Really, there's no reason for the NFL to care about how games turn out like the NBA does. They get their contracts nonetheless. The Super Bowl will be the top TV draw in this country no matter who is in there. Their playoff games will sell out. They don't need to sell their stars like the NBA does; they sell the games.

Their small-city ticket sales and revenue issues are a much greater concern than whether it's Bears/Packers or Packers @ Seahawks.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)
He dropped a couple easy ones at the beginning of the season and that was it for him it seemed.

Apparently Aromashadu has sat in Martz's doghouse for two reasons, 1: he doesnt block, and 2: he refuses to learn any other WR position other than the 1. He fancies himself as the number one guy and doesnt feel the need to learn the rest.

And those big drops in game 1 just doomed him

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)
Apparently Aromashadu has sat in Martz's doghouse for two reasons, 1: he doesnt block, and 2: he refuses to learn any other WR position other than the 1. He fancies himself as the number one guy and doesnt feel the need to learn the rest.

And those big drops in game 1 just doomed him

There's a reason Devin Aromashodu is on his third team, and it's because he just isn't very good.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 03:11 PM)
There's a reason Devin Aromashodu is on his third team, and it's because he just isn't very good.

I hear it's about him not being able to fit into what the team wants him to do. He's probably just lazy. He is pretty talented.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 12, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
Do you really think that matters?? If the Bears have to play in Atlanta with the winner going to the Super Bowl, instead of Chicago, you think they won't be as pumped up? And wouldn't Seattle be just as pumped up to play the NFC Champ. game in front of their home crowd, which just carried them to two straight playoff wins?

you're right. I was just babbling. :) Pumped for playoff football in Chicago and it was only Wednesday. :)

Edited by buhbuhburrrrlz