• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Trent Dilfer loved Cam Newton workout:

PFT link

That was phenomenal,” ESPN’s Trent Dilfer reports via Bruce Feldman. “If scouts saw this they’d have been slobbering.”

“His mechanics are so sound,” Dilfer said. “The ball just jumps off his hands. He made 30 big-time throws.”

In the past, Dilfer has said:

About Sam Bradford

With all indications pointing to Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford being the first overall pick in the 2010 draft, not every voice is trumpeting the case for Bradford.

In a recent appearance on ESPN Radio’s St. Louis affiliate, ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer gave a candid assessment of the 2008 Heisman winner: “In my opinion, he’s not even close to the best player in this draft.”

Wow. Trent, please elaborate.

“I think he has major, major challenges ahead of him,” Dilfer said. “Sam Bradford is not Mark Sanchez. He is not Matthew Stafford. He is not Matt Ryan. I would say he’s not even Joe Flacco.”

Dilfer explains that, in his view, Bradford hasn’t been “challenged” in the college game, and that selecting Bradford could end up being a “catastrophic” mistake for the Rams.

So who does Dilfer like? He thinks that Jimmy Clausen is the best

prepared to make an immediate impact, but that Colt McCoy will be the

best of the bunch four years from now. Dilfer acknowledges, however, that all three players are “projects.”

Dilfer could end up being right about Bradford; if Dilfer is, he’ll be able to say he’s one of the only ones who saw the potential problems with Bradford being the first pick.

UPDATE: As it turns out, Dilfer is represented by David Dunn’s Athletes First firm, which also represents Colt McCoy. We’ll leave it to others to decide whether this may have influenced Dilfer’s assessment of McCoy, Bradford, and Clausen.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
Trent Dilfer loved Cam Newton workout:

PFT link

In the past, Dilfer has said:

About Sam Bradford

So who does Dilfer like? He thinks that Jimmy Clausen is the best prepared to make an immediate impact

I want to know why this man is paid.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 05:58 PM)
One thing that Dilfer said about Newton that I agree with is how the ball seems to just fly out of his hand. After watching Locker in some of these workouts, Newton is far and away a better pick, IMO, than Jake.

I think Newton has the best potential by far. He is a major work in progress but I'd take him over the other QBs because of the potential and because I dont think see the others as surefire franchise QBs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 04:58 PM)
One thing that Dilfer said about Newton that I agree with is how the ball seems to just fly out of his hand. After watching Locker in some of these workouts, Newton is far and away a better pick, IMO, than Jake.

I haven't seen anything to like about Jake Locker. He's got a strong arm and can move a little, but he hasn't made good decisions about where to throw, his balls sailed when I saw him, and he hasn't really had any good production numbers.

I remember thinking Stafford looked shaky coming out too because he only completed like 55% of his passes in his final season, but he had a YPA of like 8.2, so all he was doing was throwing the ball down the field. Locker had 6.8 YPA, so it's better, but I can see why it was like that. He definitely needs some work.

I can definitely see the Bills reaching for Newton. They showed last year that they aren't afraid to take a (dumb) risk, Gailey loves QBs that can move, and they can sit him on the sidelines for a year while Fitzpatrick starts again.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 04:58 PM)

Newton has terrible mechanics, i don't understand how anyone can think they are good. He holds the ball low like Tebow and sidearms it while taking a hop.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 06:11 PM)
Newton has terrible mechanics, i don't understand how anyone can think they are good. He holds the ball low like Tebow and sidearms it while taking a hop.

This. I think the only reason why people think he can be a QB in progress is because he can't play another position other than maybe TE in which is value immediately drops. With there not being too many good QB's this year, someone's going to take a risk on him because he's a leader and then 3 years down the line, they'll be dissapointed that he's a bust like Reggie Bush. Then everyone will wonder what happened.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 07:37 PM)
This. I think the only reason why people think he can be a QB in progress is because he can't play another position other than maybe TE in which is value immediately drops. With there not being too many good QB's this year, someone's going to take a risk on him because he's a leader and then 3 years down the line, they'll be dissapointed that he's a bust like Reggie Bush. Then everyone will wonder what happened.

Well, if I'm a team in need of a QB, I look at a guy who has all the raw talent to succeed at the position, and just put him in a room and have him learn mechanics for 3 years.

Sadly, the NFL today rarely allows for the classic treatment of QBs where they learn on the bench for multiple seasons. Everyone is rushed, but when they aren't sometimes you get a God like Aaron Rodgers...

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
Well, if I'm a team in need of a QB, I look at a guy who has all the raw talent to succeed at the position, and just put him in a room and have him learn mechanics for 3 years.

Sadly, the NFL today rarely allows for the classic treatment of QBs where they learn on the bench for multiple seasons. Everyone is rushed, but when they aren't sometimes you get a God like Aaron Rodgers...

My brother in law is a big 49ers fan, and he was talking about the what-if of the 49ers taking Rodgers instead of Smith. I basically dismissed it and said that Rodgers wouldn't be nearly as good as he is now because he would have been expected to man the ship right away.

I would be really excited if the Bills took Cam Newton. Quite frankly, he has all of the intangibles of a Tim Tebow, he just wasn't as outspoken or as loved as Tebow. I also think he's more physically gifted than Tebow as well - seems to me that he is faster and has a stronger arm. The Bills can roll with Fitzpatrick for this year, let Cam learn on the sidelines for a year (or even two), and then let him start. I also really like the idea of Chan Gailey working with Cam Newton, as he really does a great job of getting the most out of all of his QBs.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
My brother in law is a big 49ers fan, and he was talking about the what-if of the 49ers taking Rodgers instead of Smith. I basically dismissed it and said that Rodgers wouldn't be nearly as good as he is now because he would have been expected to man the ship right away.

I would be really excited if the Bills took Cam Newton. Quite frankly, he has all of the intangibles of a Tim Tebow, he just wasn't as outspoken or as loved as Tebow. I also think he's more physically gifted than Tebow as well - seems to me that he is faster and has a stronger arm. The Bills can roll with Fitzpatrick for this year, let Cam learn on the sidelines for a year (or even two), and then let him start. I also really like the idea of Chan Gailey working with Cam Newton, as he really does a great job of getting the most out of all of his QBs.

Exactly.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 15, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)

Rodgers could easily be just as good right now if he was with the 49ers as he is with the Packers. Plenty of QBs have stepped in and been the man from day 1 without it hurting their development.

John Fox said Orton will be his starting QB, not Tebow. Early for this type of statement, but I wonder if at least some of it has to do with the possibility of a lockout, and a vet like Orton would be more prepared with limited or no offseason workouts and training camp

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 24, 2011 -> 06:48 PM)
John Fox said Orton will be his starting QB, not Tebow. Early for this type of statement, but I wonder if at least some of it has to do with the possibility of a lockout, and a vet like Orton would be more prepared with limited or no offseason workouts and training camp

Or it's "You have to trade us enough to give up our starting QB" talk.