Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 08:21 AM)
I feel like the Redskins dump a bunch of money on people with no plan and have it blow up repeatedly. I feel like the raiders dump money on people in a deliberate effort to end those players careers. Doesn't it have to be on purpose at this point with them?

If you factor in Al Davis being completely bats*** crazy and still making all of the decisions, yes, it seems like it is completely on purpose at this point.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Raiders will continue to suck as long as Al Davis is alive. As a fan, I'd love to see a competent QB in the backfield to at least pull off an occasional upset against division rivals. It's all I have to look forward to. *sigh*

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 08:39 AM)
The Raiders will continue to suck as long as Al Davis is alive. As a fan, I'd love to see a competent QB in the backfield to at least pull off an occasional upset against division rivals. It's all I have to look forward to. *sigh*

I am not fully convinced he is still technically alive. I think he may be a zombie at this point, especially given his recent photos

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 02:42 PM)
JaMarcus don't care if he gets cut. I guarantee he'll be broke and bankrupt within the next 5 years. He's not only stupid when it comes to his NFL career, but he's also stupid in terms of how he spends his money. Making stupid personalized diamond incrusted chains like every week, buying a private jet, and hiring modeling photographers for pictures of him in front of his jet with his fur coats.

Sharing a cardboard box with "Buster" Douglas.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 07:03 PM)
So the Bears decided to get rid of Alex Brown and keep Tommie Harris. So f***ing dumb. Brown has been one of the most consistent players on the entire team and you want to keep a lazy overpriced injury prone waste?

I don't get why they want to trade Alex Brown. He could be huge with Peppers on the other side of the line. I also think Tommie could be a beast again with those 3 together.

I think they are looking at it two ways. One, they have a glut of DE's and they dont have as many talented(so they say) DTs. They would rather give Mark Anderson a chance and hope that he benefits the same way Brown would.

Two, they feel that Tommie Harris would benefit more on the inside next to Peppers than Brown would on the outside on the other side of the line from Peppers.

JMO

They are moving Idonije to DE... I think Anderson should be out of anybody's mind by now as a starter, he's had a while now to prove he wasn't a one-year flash in the pan that benefited from Harris's pre-suckage beastliness.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 07:44 PM)
They are moving Idonije to DE... I think Anderson should be out of anybody's mind by now as a starter, he's had a while now to prove he wasn't a one-year flash in the pan that benefited from Harris's pre-suckage beastliness.

Lovie keeps talking about him in every offseason interview I have heard. I dont like it, but I think they are planning on giving Anderson every opportunity to take the job

With Alex Brown due $5 million next season, I could see why they would be thinking about dumping him. Hes a decent player, but nothing special. His highest season sack total is only 7.0. That being said, the options to replace him only have one advantage over him, and of course thats $$$$$$. Idonije is probably my favorite player on the team, but hes only a special teams beast with part-time experience at DT, not really even at DE. Mark Anderson already had the starting job and proved that he cant play every down causes hes worthless against the run. Since his hotshot rookie season, he has less than 10 sacks total in 3 seasons. Then again, stubborn Lovie thinks that Rob Marinelli can turn anyone into a stud DE, so who knows what is going on.

I think the Bears are looking at it as this. They believe both Anderson and Idonije can give the same production with the same amount of snaps as Brown for one eighth of the price.

Alex Brown: 722 total snaps, 39 tackles (One tackle for every 18.5 snaps), six sacks (One sack for every 120 snaps), five tackles-for-loss, one quarterback hit, two pass breakups and one fumble recovery.

Mark Anderson: 507 snaps, 25 tackles (One tackle for every 20.3 snaps), 3½ sacks (One sack for every 144.9 snaps), two tackles-for-loss.

Israel Idonije: 319 snaps, 20 tackles (One tackle for every 15.9 snaps), 2½ sacks (One sack for every 127.6 snaps), one tackle-for-loss, one forced fumble.

Now do I necessarily agree with it? By all means no, but can both guys step up and bring it? Sure they can. I actually like Anderson. Young guy, good potential, has shown he can be very good (IF Tommie is Tommie again creating mismatches), etc.. but as lost said, e looks like a one year fluke so far and it's up to him to prove people wrong. Idonije is always solid, but the Bears always changes him around from a DT to DE not to mention I don't believe he'll be as solid as Brown playing more snaps. But the Bears are REALLY gambling on both guys to step up. Brown is a bigger loss than I think they will realize unless one (or both) can be very good.

Unsuccessful in their attempts to trade DE Alex Brown, the Bears are expected to release the pass rusher on Thursday afternoon.

Brown was deemed no longer worthy of his $5 million salary when Lovie Smith announced that Israel Idonije would move from tackle to end. The team also wants to get youngsters Jarron Gilbert and Henry Melton into the rotation. Expect Brown to draw plenty of interest on the open market. Apr. 1 - 11:21 am et

-----------------------------------------

I'm not happy.

Edited by Brian

It stinks but the Bears are diong the right thing cutting him as opposed to dragging it out. Brown has been a class act and I wish him the very best.

He'll be missed, but I have no problem with Anderson taking over the job and given the money the Bears spent I just hope the new money saved goes into Atogowe.

Everyone was so amazed when the Bears actually spent a whole bunch of $$$$ on free agents. With the loss of FA Ogunleye and the releasing of Vasher (deservedly) and Brown, thats about $15-16 million right there they cut from last year's payroll. Turns out they weren't such free spenders as we thought.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
I think Brown was consistently undervalued by the Bears. Id rather them find other ways to cut 5mil, but life goes on.

i have almost the complete opposite opinion of brown....I think Brown was consistently OVERvalued by fans

above average against the run...but a poor pass rushing DE. and lets be frank...if you aren't getting to the QB as a DE in the 4-3 tampa 2....you are hurting your team. Hes been a nice guy and a good sport, but he has never really been all that good IMO

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
Of the Bears line, Brown was the most consistent in backfield penetration (thats what she said).

I think with Peppers lining up opposite of him, he would have put up 5mil worth of stats.

This is what I believe, and with an uncapped year, the money doesn't hurt for the Bears to pay.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
Unsuccessful in their attempts to trade DE Alex Brown, the Bears are expected to release the pass rusher on Thursday afternoon.

Brown was deemed no longer worthy of his $5 million salary when Lovie Smith announced that Israel Idonije would move from tackle to end. The team also wants to get youngsters Jarron Gilbert and Henry Melton into the rotation. Expect Brown to draw plenty of interest on the open market. Apr. 1 - 11:21 am et

-----------------------------------------

I'm not happy.

Once again proving the Bears arent really sure what they are doing.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 1, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
Once again proving the Bears arent really sure what they are doing.

The quote the Trib had from an NFC scout was pretty telling. It was along the lines of "good, he's one of there best players". The quote was in reference to Brown being cut.

One of the best players on a bad defense isnt really glowing praise. Brown was a nice player and all, but lets be honest, in his best season he had 7 sacks. In 04 he had that crazy game against the giants where he had 4 sacks(which got him paid) and he ended up that season with 6 sacks. 2 more sacks in 15 more games. Thats the kind of thing we saw from Alex Brown, spurts where we thought he was amazing, and times when he absolutely disappeared. The times he was amazing makes us think this loss is huge, but it really isnt.

And daa is right. An end that is not getting consistent penetration in the 4-3 defense is not helping, he is hurting those CBs who are getting burned while the QB picks apart the gaps. I would have liked to see him in a rotation this year opposite of Peppers, but not for the money he was getting paid. Especially when that money can help address the lack of secondary, especially at the safety position

If Alex Brown's sack production wasnt enough, then your most likely going to be disappointed with any player at the position.

The Bears for most of Brown's career have brought 4 man rushes, those arent going to bring big sack numbers for any player. Even going up against 5 offensive linemen either Brown would be facing the teams best tackle, or would be likely double teamed.

I think there is going to be a lot of disagreement on this topic, but in my opinion Brown will be missed.