Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)
I agree with what you're saying there, and Cutler deserves a lot of the criticism he gets. I just think Trent has some vendetta against him, but maybe it's just hyperbolic ESPN statements.

A few weeks ago on B & B's Who Ya Crappin, someone called out Dilfer for one of his ridiculous comments. I don't remember it exactly, but he was basically saying that in order to win a Super Bowl, a QB needs to make several big plays a game, his defense can't do it alone, and Cutler is not good enough to make those plays and win it all.

Um, Trent, you won a Super Bowl because your defense gave up 23 total points in four playoff games, while you averaged under 150 passing yards a game in those playoffs. You did absolutely nothing to help your team win it, other than not fumbling the snap or handoff.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
Um, did you miss the drives following that leading up to his injury?

Yep...not much happened. The tipped pass by Melton and pick by Peppers. Great defensive play.

Other than that, they ran the ball alot. I suppose you can blame Favre for the shotgun snap 3 feet over his head. He was 3-4 for 29 yds. That current Vikes team is better with Favre than without. That's all. I hate to defend the guy...I really do. I grew up watching him kill my favorite team time and time again. I hate the media hype over him and the oh look how he just loves the game crap. But he's a tough SOB and can throw the ball. He's no longer a big time threat, but he's better than fricken Webb.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)
I suppose you can blame Favre for the shotgun snap 3 feet over his head.

That snap was not 3 feet over his head. It was at his helmet and bounced off his hands. It was high, but he could have had it.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
When Cutler wins a single playoff game in the NFL, he will start getting more respect from these types -- and not until. I love Cutler, he plays hard and takes risks, and he's fun to watch because of these things...but in the NFL, he's proven absolutely nothing yet, to pretend or to say otherwise is false.

This has always been my problem with Bears fans and their general arrogance that they get from who knows where. They're so easy to dislike because they have that "Cub" like mentality that they're the most awesomeist thing ever when in fact, they aren't. They want praise for everything their team does, but don't like to give praise to anyone else. When they win on a fluke play, it's part of the game, when they lose, it's not because the other team beat them, it's because they didn't show up, or some other such nonsense.

I don't apply this mentality to all Bears fans, either...but there are the many, as I like to put it, 'Da Bers" fans...and this is directed at you if you're amongst them.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 01:59 PM)
Jokes aside, and I'm sure many Bears fans are happy to see Favre go, making fun of or hoping for a person to get/become physically injured is never...funny.

This is exactly what I'm talking about with Bears fans acting their finest. It's not enough that they beat Favre the majority of the end of his career, it's not enough that they beat Favre 40-14 yesterday...it's picking this as their favorite moment, or wishing injury upon him that makes me dislike Bears fans. Those other things should be enough...but they aren't. I despise that mentality in sports.

It embodies everything we learned to NOT do in sports as kids...and doing it as an adult...and laughing about it.

Thank you!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
how is breaking him in half a life-altering injury? They could have stitched him back together.

I have to say that I thought about my post directed at you on the way home -- and thinking about you (who I do not know) for that long covers my quota for the next 30 decades. :P

Jokes aside, I didn't mean to call you a piece of trash, because although I don't know you, I don't believe you are one. I stand by what I said however, that sports making you say things like, "I hope he gets hurt/broken in half", brings the worst out in you and makes you something you aren't...which was my intended point to begin with.

Sports should bring the best out in us...but sadly that's not the case most of the time, and it goes against everything I ever learned growing up about sports.

That's all I meant to convey...and I know I failed in trying to do so...so I wanted to clear it up. :P

Also, about following your team blindly. That's different than listening to valid criticisms regarding your team. Steve Young, Trent Dilfer, and Matt Hasselbeck all gave valid criticisms of the Bears. And they're not buying the Bears as being real.

Let's put it this way. We all root for the Sox blindly. No matter who's our GM, owner, manager, players, we're going to support them. At the same time, a guy like Mark Teahan, who we support and hope the best for him, kind of stinks. He has holes in his swing and he's not great defensively. Now though we'll cheer him and root for him as hard as we can, we all know his criticisms are valid.

For whatever reason, 95% of Bears fans don't act like that when it comes to the Bears. Only Lovie Smith for some dumb reason.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 11:23 AM)
I also liked when he was commenting on a Bears impressive drive "that started darn-near on their goal line....well, at the thirty or forty after the nice return, and have really taken it to this Vikings defense..."

Meanwhile, the drive had started on the Bears 47 after the Daniel Manning kickoff return.

Hahahaha I remember that I was thinking WTF? Did I miss something? Goal line? I KNOW I saw the ball pass the 40...

Cutler has bad footwork and throwing mechanics. Those are valid criticisms.

He threw an absolutely boneheaded INT last night. Valid criticism.

But he also fit two balls into really small windows last night for TDs. The pass to Davis was a laser and I don't think many QBs in the league could make that throw. Young and Dildo only mentioned his bad throw for an INT and mentioned none of the good stuff.

I don't have a problem with Dildo criticizing Cutler for the bad as long as he recognizes the good. I rarely, if ever, hear Dildo praise Cutler's positive plays.

That annoys me.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 20, 2010 -> 04:30 PM)
Well, yeah, and wasn't it responsible for a bunch of injuries?

Yes, I was just saying they had been playing on field surfaces like that in the past

aside from it not feeling great when you get tackled on that crap, if you slide you get an awesome carpet burn as well

BTW Re: Cutler criticism, the thing with me is that Dilfer especially goes out of his way to criticize anything Cutler does. I'm not sure if anyone noticed but Cutler had a... umm pretty good game last night but they railed on his footwork for like 5 minutes. We know Cutler has s***ty mechanics, and yes that criticism specifically is valid, but he's in his 3rd offense in 3 seasons (is there even another QB in the NFL that's had this happen?) and for a large part of this year has carried the entire offense on his back (with some help from Forte). This offseason, when he's in his second season in the same system for once, he's going to have more time to work with Martz on his footwork.

To me it's just really irritating, when the Bears lose a game Cutler blows and it's "I-told-you-so" from the same crowd whether it was his fault or not, when they win and he dominates the same crowd find specific reasons to not give him any credit. Most of it is just dumb. Cutler says he's concerned that players might get injured on a frozen field and someone writes a whole article about how he's not a leader. People talk about how many interceptions he throws when he's not even in the top(bottom) 10 in that category. Granted, to some degree this is expected, Aaron Rodgers was taking completely-undeserved s*** from people for absolutely no reason in his first year starting (who, btw, hasn't "won" any playoff games either). I manage to ignore this most of the time but it ends up in front of my face pretty often and me, and others, responding to it is what you see.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)

But he also fit two balls into really small windows last night for TDs. The pass to Davis was a laser and I don't think many QBs in the league could make that throw. Young and Dildo only mentioned his bad throw for an INT and mentioned none of the good stuff.

I don't have a problem with Dildo criticizing Cutler for the bad as long as he recognizes the good. I rarely, if ever, hear Dildo praise Cutler's positive plays.

That annoys me.

Last night right after the game ended I thought I heard him say "Cutler was brilliant" but that's about it. The rest of it was basically "why Jay Cutler will never amount to s*** as a QB in the NFL" (exaggerating, but only a little)

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)

That annoys me.

Selective hearing. Both mentioned, especially Dilfer how he can fit it through tight windows, how he's able to make throws in any weather and has elite ability. Young went on to say "Don't listen to me, look at the greats" and started mentioning Brady and a bunch of other great QB's with good mechanics. One of them stated Cutler can be in that category if he ever works on it.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 05:06 PM)
Last night right after the game ended I thought I heard him say "Cutler was brilliant" but that's about it. The rest of it was basically "why Jay Cutler will never amount to s*** as a QB in the NFL" (exaggerating, but only a little)

By alot. It was said, until Cutler gets consistent with his mechanics, he'll never reach the elite level or reach his peak.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
BTW Re: Cutler criticism, the thing with me is that Dilfer especially goes out of his way to criticize anything Cutler does. I'm not sure if anyone noticed but Cutler had a... umm pretty good game last night but they railed on his footwork for like 5 minutes. We know Cutler has s***ty mechanics, and yes that criticism specifically is valid, but he's in his 3rd offense in 3 seasons (is there even another QB in the NFL that's had this happen?) and for a large part of this year has carried the entire offense on his back (with some help from Forte). This offseason, when he's in his second season in the same system for once, he's going to have more time to work with Martz on his footwork.

To me it's just really irritating, when the Bears lose a game Cutler blows and it's "I-told-you-so" from the same crowd whether it was his fault or not, when they win and he dominates the same crowd find specific reasons to not give him any credit. Most of it is just dumb. Cutler says he's concerned that players might get injured on a frozen field and someone writes a whole article about how he's not a leader. People talk about how many interceptions he throws when he's not even in the top(bottom) 10 in that category. Granted, to some degree this is expected, Aaron Rodgers was taking completely-undeserved s*** from people for absolutely no reason in his first year starting (who, btw, hasn't "won" any playoff games either). I manage to ignore this most of the time but it ends up in front of my face pretty often and me, and others, responding to it is what you see.

The people who are attacking Dilfer, Young and any other ESPN columnist with valid criticism are the same people who criticize Cutler. But since the Bears just won the game, injured Brett Favre, and won the division, the fans don't want to hear anything negative. 5 bucks says if the Bears do something positive and Dilfer and Young praise them, you guys will say "Too late ahats, we don't need no credit from you anyway" or "Now, you're jumping on the bandwagon, huh".

I liken it to Adrian Woj and LeBron James. He tells it like it is. People take that as hate to LeBron when it's not. Then when Woj writes a positive article about LeBron then he's criticized for jumping on his coattails.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 06:15 PM)
The people who are attacking Dilfer, Young and any other ESPN columnist with valid criticism are the same people who criticize Cutler. But since the Bears just won the game, injured Brett Favre, and won the division, the fans don't want to hear anything negative. 5 bucks says if the Bears do something positive and Dilfer and Young praise them, you guys will say "Too late ahats, we don't need no credit from you anyway" or "Now, you're jumping on the bandwagon, huh".

I liken it to Adrian Woj and LeBron James. He tells it like it is. People take that as hate to LeBron when it's not. Then when Woj writes a positive article about LeBron then he's criticized for jumping on his coattails.

Bears fans are also ridiculously bipolar about Cutler anyway although it's usually the same fans that are prone to overreact about s***.

so if we are pissed at Dilfer for calling the bears and cutler pathetic, when we all heard it, we should accept that as valid criticism otherwise we follow the team blindly? This is valid criticism in your world nite?

In case you havent noticed throughout the course of this argument, everyone is conceding that Cutler still is not a polished quarterback and has issues. We recognize that, and nobody is ripping on Young and Dilfer for pointing those issues out. The problem is that their criticisms were overwhelming their praises, and this was after Cutler had another 100+ QB rating game with 3 touchdowns and 1 boneheaded INT, which very well could have been negated with a helmet to helmet hit by the CB. It wasnt selective hearing by me. I heard the praises as well, but I also heard about how bad Cutler was and how brave Favre was the entire postgame. If i just listened to them and didnt know the score I would have thought the bears lost the game.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 05:51 PM)
so if we are pissed at Dilfer for calling the bears and cutler pathetic, when we all heard it, we should accept that as valid criticism otherwise we follow the team blindly? This is valid criticism in your world nite?

In case you havent noticed throughout the course of this argument, everyone is conceding that Cutler still is not a polished quarterback and has issues. We recognize that, and nobody is ripping on Young and Dilfer for pointing those issues out. The problem is that their criticisms were overwhelming their praises, and this was after Cutler had another 100+ QB rating game with 3 touchdowns and 1 boneheaded INT, which very well could have been negated with a helmet to helmet hit by the CB. It wasnt selective hearing by me. I heard the praises as well, but I also heard about how bad Cutler was and how brave Favre was the entire postgame. If i just listened to them and didnt know the score I would have thought the bears lost the game.

If it's valid criticism, it's valid criticism, no matter what the source is. It's no longer valid if it's untrue. Did Young or Dilfer say anything last night that is untrue?

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 05:59 PM)
If it's valid criticism, it's valid criticism, no matter what the source is. It's no longer valid if it's untrue. Did Young or Dilfer say anything last night that is untrue?

I thought calling the bears pathetic was untrue and uncalled for. So yes. And again, I didnt mention anything in regards to the source. If anyone said it, I would be pissed.

By the way, do you have the video for the postgame? You seem to know exactly what was and was not said for the entire postgame, I am going off of what I watched over 12 hours ago. Please post the video if you have it