Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 06:02 PM)
From that list, the Raiders, Dolphins, and 49ers have been on hard times compared with the mid-90's, while the Iggles and Patriots have had such long streaks that htey've moved up.

The Colts were barely a thought then, other than the fact that the store was in Indiana.

The Raiders stuff always sells - especially to non-fans.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 years ago the Patriots were nobodies, and the bandwagon didn't really get off to the races until about 2002 or so. They had to have been the 4th most popular team before the Super Bowl in '01. Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, then Patriots.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 07:51 PM)
I'd dispute the statement that the Dolphins aren't popular.

Their clothing is easily the most popular in the AFC East if they even sniff the playoffs.

But it's no where close to where they were in the Marino years.

Hey Knight, who you like tonight?

I'm thinking Carolina +14.5 and over 37.

The Steelers are not the same without Polamalu and Jonthan Stewart has been running the ball with some effectiveness recently. I think they'll be able to score some points tonight, although not a ton...maybe 17 or so.

The Steelers have been unable to score much at all recently. I think they'll have some more success tonight because Carolina has no pass rush, and Mendenhall should be able to run the ball well, but I don't expect an offensive explosion or anything.

I am thinking 24-17 or something along those lines.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)
Hey Knight, who you like tonight?

I'm thinking Carolina +14.5 and over 37.

The Steelers are not the same without Polamalu and Jonthan Stewart has been running the ball with some effectiveness recently. I think they'll be able to score some points tonight, although not a ton...maybe 17 or so.

The Steelers have been unable to score much at all recently. I think they'll have some more success tonight because Carolina has no pass rush, and Mendenhall should be able to run the ball well, but I don't expect an offensive explosion or anything.

I am thinking 24-17 or something along those lines.

Carolina's offense has been getting better and Pittsburgh has been iffy health-wise. 14.5 is a lot of points to cover.

If I had to pick, I'd say that your thoughts are as good as any on this game.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 01:29 PM)
Carolina's offense has been getting better and Pittsburgh has been iffy health-wise. 14.5 is a lot of points to cover.

If I had to pick, I'd say that your thoughts are as good as any on this game.

I concur as well. CAR+14.5, over 37 would be my move.

The Panthers lost 31-10 to Atlanta, 31-14 to Seattle, 31-13 at Baltimore, 31-16 against Tampa, and 31-3 against NOLA since November, while they played close games against Cleveland and then beat the Cardinals last week.

Pittsburgh is playing at home. There's a chance of some precip tonight but it decreases as the day goes on.

I'm not a gambler, but I wouldn't have any confidence putting money up saying that Carolina won't be blown out by a good team coming off a tough loss.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 01:40 PM)
The Panthers lost 31-10 to Atlanta, 31-14 to Seattle, 31-13 at Baltimore, 31-16 against Tampa, and 31-3 against NOLA since November, while they played close games against Cleveland and then beat the Cardinals last week.

Pittsburgh is playing at home. There's a chance of some precip tonight but it decreases as the day goes on.

I'm not a gambler, but I wouldn't have any confidence putting money up saying that Carolina won't be blown out by a good team coming off a tough loss.

Have you watched Pittsburgh's offense recently though, Balta? They've been horrendous as of late. They were mediocre against the Jets, they were downright horrible against Cinci, awful against Baltimore, and awful against Buffalo. They have been bad in the red zone.

Obviously anytime you bet a team getting 14.5 points, there is a potential for a blowout, and that is the risk you run if you bet Carolina. But I just think two touchdowns is too much considering they don't have Polamalu or Heath Miller. Their working with a beat-up offensive line as well.

The Steelers beat the Bengals 23-7 on the road 2 weeks ago (which would cover that spread). The struggled more against Baltimore and the Jets, but those are 2 actual good defenses. They didn't blow Buffalo out, but nobody's blowing buffalo out lately; they're playing too hard. Before that they dropped 35 on the Raiders, and put up 26 in a losing effort against the Pats, albiet with more health there.

I think most teams would come out of a 3 game stretch at Baltimore, then home vs. Cinci (in Pittsburgh's weather) and home against the Jets (in Pittsburgh weather) thinking their offense was struggling a little.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
The Steelers beat the Bengals 23-7 on the road 2 weeks ago (which would cover that spread). The struggled more against Baltimore and the Jets, but those are 2 actual good defenses. They didn't blow Buffalo out, but nobody's blowing buffalo out lately; they're playing too hard. Before that they dropped 35 on the Raiders, and put up 26 in a losing effort against the Pats, albiet with more health there.

I think most teams would come out of a 3 game stretch at Baltimore, then home vs. Cinci (in Pittsburgh's weather) and home against the Jets (in Pittsburgh weather) thinking their offense was struggling a little.

Did you watch the game against the Bengals, Balta? The Steelers defense had 2 pick 6's, one by Polamalu. I know they covered because I bet them that week. Their offense was terrible in the red zone, and their defense will likely not be anywhere near as dominant without Polamalu (or at least less-likely to score points).

Btw, Cinci's secondary is absolutely horrific right now. They're basically signing guys off the street because of all the injuries they've had. There was no reason to be shut down by them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
To answer, no I didn't watch that game.

Anywho, this is why I'm not a gambler. At least you've defended your position well.

Well, to be honest, you certainly could be right. I don't usually bet games with huge spreads in the NFL because I usually like to have at least some level of trust in the team I am betting, and I also don't like laying more than 12 points, ever.

However, after watching the Steelers struggle offensively lately, and with Polamalu out, and the fact that the public is always betting the Steelers and driving their line up, and it's the Thursday night game...well, you get my point :)

We'll probably be back here tonight though with you posting "I have the incredible urge to say 'I told you so' again."

:)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
We'll probably be back here tonight though with you posting "I have the incredible urge to say 'I told you so' again."

:)

I plan to take the wife out to dinner tonight then head home and enjoy the fact that I'm not yet out of whiskey, so who knows.

I think this is a Steelers or no play pick tonight regarding the sides. I'm not confident in Carolina getting more than 10 points.

If I took the game I would probably take the under. I could see a Pittsburgh winning a 24-7, 24-10 type game.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)
I think this is a Steelers or no play pick tonight regarding the sides. I'm not confident in Carolina getting more than 10 points.

If I took the game I would probably take the under. I could see a Pittsburgh winning a 24-7, 24-10 type game.

You may be right....I guess I saw a very average NYJ offense put up some points last week against Pittsburgh, so I think the Panthers may be able to put up a few too...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
You may be right....I guess I saw a very average NYJ offense put up some points last week against Pittsburgh, so I think the Panthers may be able to put up a few too...

I know this is a fantasy playoff question but figured I'd get the quickest input here, got a little dilemma

my lineup as it is now

RB-Turner (not moving)

RB-Mendenhall (not moving)

RB/WR - LT

WR-Vincent Jackson (not moving)

WR-Mike Wallace (not moving)

WR-Sidney Rice

on my bench currently that can fill the RB/WR slot - Jonathan Stewart, Steve Smith (Carolina), Percy Harvin

I was 13-2 this year and this is the first round of the playoffs and now have a pretty good sized dilemma with some injuries going on. Do I go with the hot hand in Stewart against the best Run D in the league while there may be a good chance that they will be throwing all game from behind? If that might happen, should I plug in Steve Smith in place of Sidney Rice, since him and Percy Harvin may be catching Joe Webb throws (but with a chance that Favre may be back AGAIN, I'd have to play one of them), or should I stick with LT (who I have not played in forever because of obvious fantasy reasons) who may be taking alot of dumpoffs with from whoever is playing QB (Brunell or a hurt Sanchez)?

I don't know why but I just cannot get LT out of my head even though he's been on my bench the second half of the year. Any suggestions?

Or I can just eat the $5 and pick up a Tashard Choice, Michael Bush or a Rashad Jennings (if MJD can't go)

Edited by Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
Shack, what are the odds the Raiders pull off the upset at home vs a banged up Colts team?

I think they have a pretty good chance. Somehow the Colts managed to shut down MoJo last week, but that was probably more due to them jumping out to a quick lead, and the Jags being able to move the ball through the air fairly easily.

I expect McFadden to run all over the Colts, and the Colts to struggle a bit offensively again now that Austin Collie is out for the season. I wouldn't be at all surprised by a Raiders victory, although it is always difficult to bet against Peyton Manning, especially since he can smell the playoffs now.

However, Asomgha should take Reggie Wayne out of the picture for the most part, and Garcon and Tamme have had cases of the dropski's all year long, especially Tamme, since he knows he is usually about to get blown up down the middle of the field on those seam routes Manning loves so much.

I probably will bet the Raiders, like Knight said, and I sort of expect the Raiders to win outright. Although, as I said, it's just always a bit difficult to count Manning out. But the bottom line is, the Colts are very average this season, and without Collie, they are actually below-average.