Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 09:28 AM)
Theyve been talking about the Bears game all morning on ESPN. I guess you need to play an east coast team to get that kind of coverage. I was at the game yesterday and a few things that caught my attention were, the Jets pass rush or lack thereof. I was shocked to see how much time Jay was getting to throw behind our line.

The Jets secondary is brutal. Revis had Bennett covered pretty well but Knox and company torched the rest of the secondary, especially Cromartie.

Its also amazing to see what Cutler can do when he has time to throw. When he steps into his throws theyre basically always right on target. He also did a good job moving around and giving his receivers time to get open.

Despite the big day from our passing game we still have issues at WR. Lots of dropped passes and giving up on routes.

Julius Peppers is big.

It was funny listening to Phil Simms talk about how the Bears haven't seen a pass rush like the Jets (hello Giants game), and then seeing the Bears line just man-handle the Jets D.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 09:30 AM)
That damn Tom Brady has only 4 picks this year. He hasn't had one since week 6. Thats just silly.

Simply a result of being really good and lucky at the same time. He's thrown a couple of balls right at defenders and they just straight up dropped them.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 11:07 AM)
Simply a result of being really good and lucky at the same time. He's thrown a couple of balls right at defenders and they just straight up dropped them.

The Patriots have turned the ball over 9 times this season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 10:04 AM)
It was funny listening to Phil Simms talk about how the Bears haven't seen a pass rush like the Jets (hello Giants game), and then seeing the Bears line just man-handle the Jets D.

I seriously do not think Phil Simms watches the game. He called a Sanchez pass that was ovthrown a perfect pass than he says Holmes slows up on a route when the ball was behind him.

He is a disaster.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
I seriously do not think Phil Simms watches the game. He called a Sanchez pass that was ovthrown a perfect pass than he says Holmes slows up on a route when the ball was behind him.

He is a disaster.

He also has no idea what a freaking pass interference looks like. He complained about every PI call/non-call the entire game.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
He also has no idea what a freaking pass interference looks like. He complained about every PI call/non-call the entire game.

To be fair...with the way it's been called this year, I don't think anyone knows what actual pass interference looks like any more.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 09:28 AM)
Its also amazing to see what Cutler can do when he has time to throw. When he steps into his throws theyre basically always right on target. He also did a good job moving around and giving his receivers time to get open.

Despite the big day from our passing game we still have issues at WR. Lots of dropped passes and giving up on routes.

I agree on both counts. I want to see the Bears invest (either a FA or Draft Pick) in the WR position. I think we have found two nice players in Knox and Bennett that can play the slot or the off position. I still think we need to get Jay a guy who will actually a) get open consistently (our guys don't) and B) make a play on a the ball (our guys don't). Ideally I'd like to see Angelo or Ruskell bring in a Aromashodu type, a big body who can run, jump, and go up for the jump ball.

Acquiring better WRs is still secondary to improving the OL.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 11:25 AM)
I agree on both counts. I want to see the Bears invest (either a FA or Draft Pick) in the WR position. I think we have found two nice players in Knox and Bennett that can play the slot or the off position. I still think we need to get Jay a guy who will actually a) get open consistently (our guys don't) and B) make a play on a the ball (our guys don't). Ideally I'd like to see Angelo or Ruskell bring in a Aromashodu type, a big body who can run, jump, and go up for the jump ball.

Acquiring better WRs is still secondary to improving the OL.

I have no idea what will happen in FA next year, whether or not there will be a next year, etc., but there are legit options without contracts for next year at both of those spots (and no, I'm not referring to Moss or Owens).

Vincent Jackson and Ochocinco could be legit WR options with stuff left, and Logan Mankins at guard has really been key for the 2nd half Pats surge.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 10:17 AM)
To be fair...with the way it's been called this year, I don't think anyone knows what actual pass interference looks like any more.

Agree. Am I the only one who thinks the NFL should adopt the college rule and get rid of PI as a spot foul? Refs call PI so inconsistently that it shouldn't be such a game-changing penalty. I also think this would shift some tactical weight back to the defense. This probably won't get any serious attention until there is an egregious game-changing PI call in an important game.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 11:32 AM)
Agree. Am I the only one who thinks the NFL should adopt the college rule and get rid of PI as a spot foul? Refs call PI so inconsistently that it shouldn't be such a game-changing penalty. I also think this would shift some tactical weight back to the defense. This probably won't get any serious attention until there is an egregious game-changing PI call in an important game.

I like how the NFL does it personally, because you see times when easy 40 yard catches are genuinely prevented by a defender just smothering a WR.

Personally, I think the answer is to make PI a reviewable penalty.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)
I have no idea what will happen in FA next year, whether or not there will be a next year, etc., but there are legit options without contracts for next year at both of those spots (and no, I'm not referring to Moss or Owens).

Vincent Jackson and Ochocinco could be legit WR options with stuff left, and Logan Mankins at guard has really been key for the 2nd half Pats surge.

Brandon Marshall might be available via trade, given his so-so season in Miami. I know the Dolphins just acquired him but I think Sparano might be gone and Parcells might leave too. Depending on the new regime, the Fins might be willing to part with Marshall for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I know he might be a serious headcase, but Cutler has undeniable chemistry with him.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 11:40 AM)
Brandon Marshall might be available via trade, given his so-so season in Miami. I know the Dolphins just acquired him but I think Sparano might be gone and Parcells might leave too. Depending on the new regime, the Fins might be willing to part with Marshall for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I know he might be a serious headcase, but Cutler has undeniable chemistry with him.

That would be a good option too, but yeah, I have zero idea of what Miami will do this offseason now. Trading away Marshall simply doesn't make them better.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)

Marshall makes a lot of sense because of Cutler.

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 04:10 AM)
Philly has two easy games at home. Against 3rd string QB Joe Webb and the Vikings, and then the Cowboys the final week.

It's a shame if we lose to the pack we'll drop to the #3 seed and then host them a week later. :(

Gonna be an epic game at Lambeau.

I've heard that Favre may go.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 12:52 PM)
I've heard that Favre may go.

Favre told Kremer the postponement doesn't change his playing status.

"The best thing for me is not to play," said Favre. "Why play? What for?" "There's a fine line between being tough and stupid. I finally need to think about my future life."

Also the latest reports are that he hasn't even passed his initial concussion test.

Webb looked so awful against the Bears. Will take a miracle for him to pull off a win.

Also the Cowboys will sign quarterback Chris Greisen today to the practice squad but in all likelihood he will be Stephen McGee’s backup Sunday at Philadelphia because of Kitna’s injury. Greisen will have six days to learn enough of the offense to play if something were to happen to McGee.

Edited by buhbuhburrrrlz

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)
I dunno. Marshall will cost a lot in price and draft picks whereas V-Jack and Ocho (likely) will be free agents and not require a pick.

For the Bears sake, I think it would be smarter to go after Ocho or Vjack. Much smarter. With that said, I don't see them getting either one.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 12:27 AM)
As much as I love the guy, it's the right move for the 49ers going forward.

I was shocked at how emotionally volatile Singletary was in his tenure there. I assumed he would be much more stoic in his approach, but clearly he's a guy who wears his emotions on his sleeve.

The instability at the qb position really hurt them, and that is trickling down to the rest of their offense with the failure to really develop Crabtree and Vernon Davis much more this season.

There is no reason this team couldn't have been a "Jets-lite" sort of team this season, and yet they have been difficult to watch and atrocious more than not.

I'm sure Mike will catch on somewhere else, although I doubt as a coordinator. Probably going to have to go back to a linebacker's coach somewhere, unless he wants to drop down to the college ranks.

Come to think of it, maybe that would be where he was better off anyways...where he could really have an impact on young kids before they get spoiled and corrupted by all the money and the NFL lifestyle.

I agree it was the right move. And they really need a QB, badlyyyyy. Without one, they're delaying the development of both Crabtree and Davis as you stated. They have talent all around.

The Jets might be the most overrated team in NFL history. ESPN declared them Super Bowl favorites for adding half of the 2002 Pro Bowl roster. It's f***ing ridiculous. The Bears HORRID offensive line demolished the Jets. Revis is legit though.

And if I'm the Bears, I'd drool at the chance to add Marshall, Jackson or Ochocinco this offseason.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 04:12 PM)
The Jets might be the most overrated team in NFL history. ESPN declared them Super Bowl favorites for adding half of the 2002 Pro Bowl roster. It's f***ing ridiculous. The Bears HORRID offensive line demolished the Jets. Revis is legit though.

And if I'm the Bears, I'd drool at the chance to add Marshall, Jackson or Ochocinco this offseason.

I think as others have stated, the O-Line needs to be addressed first. Almost a complete overhaul.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
I think as others have stated, the O-Line needs to be addressed first. Almost a complete overhaul.

Absolutely agreed, 10000%. If I'm the Bears, I'd use 1/2 my picks on the o-line, grab a LB, a CB, and a DT.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 07:23 PM)
I don't want Ochocinco.

I'd rather have him than T.O.

Ocho is just a free spirit. But he's never in real trouble and wants to win. He would be a great guy with the fans and charities in Chicago.