Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 06:25 PM)
I'd rather have him than T.O.

Ocho is just a free spirit. But he's never in real trouble and wants to win. He would be a great guy with the fans and charities in Chicago.

It would be interesting to see how Lovie and that lockeroom could handle him. The Bears typically don't have guys who chirp like he does.

I'd like to think Lovie could handle him.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 07:32 PM)
It would be interesting to see how Lovie and that lockeroom could handle him. The Bears typically don't have guys who chirp like he does.

I'd like to think Lovie could handle him.

I think Ocho is has probably seen his best days come and go. He'd be a nice possession receiver at this point in his career, but I don't think he's adding a whole lot that our current corps couldn't already accomplish.

What they need is to find a talent in the draft that slips because of a past injury or some kind of lame personal issues and bursts onto the scene. Of course Brandon Marshall would be a wonderful fit, but I don't see that happening.

The other real issues I see right now is...pretty much every one of the primma donna receivers has wound up on a sucky team this year where the QB has wound up struggling, questioned, and publicly bashed. It's really been quite remarkable. Marshall, Moss, Owens, Ochocinco, they've all been losers.

Wrote this on Facebook after reading too many meathead comments this morning:

I don't get Bears fans sometimes. Mike Singletary was a flaming, miserable failure as a HC, the only thing he knew how to do was yell, but he otherwise didn't know what he was doing, and unless it's as a LB coach I don't want Halas Hall touching him with a 10 foot pole. And don't say he needed help on offense or handling his QBs... he fired the guy that knew how to do that (Mike Martz) so he doesn't get that excuse

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 09:30 PM)
Wrote this on Facebook after reading too many meathead comments this morning:

I don't get Bears fans sometimes. Mike Singletary was a flaming, miserable failure as a HC, the only thing he knew how to do was yell, but he otherwise didn't know what he was doing, and unless it's as a LB coach I don't want Halas Hall touching him with a 10 foot pole. And don't say he needed help on offense or handling his QBs... he fired the guy that knew how to do that (Mike Martz) so he doesn't get that excuse

Pete Prisco wrote a really scathing article about Singletary last night, saying players have told him he is as unprepared as any coach they have ever played for on any level, including high school, and that his game plans were extraordinarily simple and naive. He simply didn't have the understanding of the intricacies of an offense or defense in today's NFL to be a head coach. I was pretty surprised, as I would have thought Singletary would have been a very good student of the game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 09:18 PM)
The other real issues I see right now is...pretty much every one of the primma donna receivers has wound up on a sucky team this year where the QB has wound up struggling, questioned, and publicly bashed. It's really been quite remarkable. Marshall, Moss, Owens, Ochocinco, they've all been losers.

Yeah, we don't need that on our team. I wouldn't quite put Ocho or Marshall in with TO or Moss, but I smell what you're stepping in.

Our receiving corps isn't the best in the league, and it would certainly help to have a true #1 guy (I mean the Jets had to wonder who to even really put Revis on this week), but I think there are just too many other areas to address on the OLine and with our aging defense to spend any major resource on a WR right now. We need two corners, a safety, and another linebacker, and you can never have too many d-lineman.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 09:41 PM)
Watching a game I have little rooting interest for other than for fantasy football purposes, the MNF guys really are brutal.

Well, I guess we should be rooting for New Orleans, since we still have an outside shot at the #1 seed, but yeah doesn't really matter who wins here most likely.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 09:40 PM)
Yeah, we don't need that on our team. I wouldn't quite put Ocho or Marshall in with TO or Moss, but I smell what you're stepping in.

Our receiving corps isn't the best in the league, and it would certainly help to have a true #1 guy (I mean the Jets had to wonder who to even really put Revis on this week), but I think there are just too many other areas to address on the OLine and with our aging defense to spend any major resource on a WR right now. We need two corners, a safety, and another linebacker, and you can never have too many d-lineman.

I understand the argument that going after and signing Vincent Jackson would make this team a lot better by giving Cutler a legit #1 option, a threat that makes everyone better, etc, but yeah, I can't put that priority as higher than 2nd on the list.

If the Bears are going to spend money this offseason and FA proceeds normally somehow, I think Mankins out of NE ought to be their #1 target, and they still ought to draft OL with their first pick.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 08:43 PM)
I understand the argument that going after and signing Vincent Jackson would make this team a lot better by giving Cutler a legit #1 option, a threat that makes everyone better, etc, but yeah, I can't put that priority as higher than 2nd on the list.

If the Bears are going to spend money this offseason and FA proceeds normally somehow, I think Mankins out of NE ought to be their #1 target, and they still ought to draft OL with their first pick.

I have enough confidence in Cutler's arm and Martz's system to think we can score plenty of points in this offense as long as Cutler has the time with this receiving corps. The last two weeks have been proof of this.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 09:46 PM)
I have enough confidence in Cutler's arm and Martz's system to think we can score plenty of points in this offense as long as Cutler has the time with this receiving corps. The last two weeks have been proof of this.

Very true...but you and I both know that it would be more effective with a WR who could tear people apart on his own.

Yeah, O-line is priority 1, but you've got to admit that a top tier WR would at least be useful.

And no, Randy Moss is not that guy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)
Very true...but you and I both know that it would be more effective with a WR who could tear people apart on his own.

Yeah, O-line is priority 1, but you've got to admit that a top tier WR would at least be useful.

And no, Randy Moss is not that guy.

Oh of course, it would not hurt. But there are too many other areas of improvement that are, at least IMO, more critical than the WR position.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 10:02 PM)
Oh of course, it would not hurt. But there are too many other areas of improvement that are, at least IMO, more critical than the WR position.

I still dunno.

We both clearly agree OL is priority 1.

After that...if I ask what move would make the biggest positive difference for the Bears...would getting a backup LB do it? Or an average D-Lineman? Or an average DB player?

If I had to weight Vincent Jackson, by name, against unnamed possibly available player at any position other than OL, I don't know that there's anyone else obviously out there who would provide the Bears such a positive boost as Jackson.

If you could cite me the identity of this year's version of Julius Peppers who happens to play at another position of need for the Bears, I might be more receptive. It really hurts the argument that I can hold up the actual ID of the top WR on the market and I can't compare it to the ID of a NT or a CB.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
I still dunno.

After that...if I ask what move would make the biggest positive difference for the Bears...would getting a backup LB do it? Or an average D-Lineman? Or an average DB player?

If I had to weight Vincent Jackson, by name, against unnamed possibly available player at any position other than OL, I don't know that there's anyone else obviously out there who would provide the Bears such a positive boost as Jackson.

If you could cite me the identity of this year's version of Julius Peppers who happens to play at another position of need for the Bears, I might be more receptive. It really hurts the argument that I can hold up the actual ID of the top WR on the market and I can't compare it to the ID of a NT or a CB.

Oh...well I guess I was thinking more about spending draft picks. I wouldn't want to spend a draft pick on a WR unless there was clear value there because someone had slipped.

As for FA acquisitions, I can definitely see going after a guy like Jackson, but he's going to require huge dollars. If that means missing out on signing a top CB down the road, I would rather have the CB. I am tired of watching Peanut slip all over the field and Jennings and Bowman or whomever give the opposing wideout 15 yards of cushion.

I'll be honest with you and admit I haven't really looked at the guys that will be FA's this year, but I am just going off the assumption that with money committed to Peppers and Cutler and many other guys, there is not a huge margin for error in terms of FA spending.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
I still dunno.

Logan Mankins, Richard Seymour, Champ Bailey, Matt Light, Haloti Ngata would all greatly improve the Bears in one way or another.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 10:19 PM)
Logan Mankins, Richard Seymour, Champ Bailey, Matt Light, Haloti Ngata would all greatly improve the Bears in one way or another.

We've all accepted an O-Line upgrade as the obvious first option.

Ngata is actually a FA?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 09:35 PM)
Pete Prisco wrote a really scathing article about Singletary last night, saying players have told him he is as unprepared as any coach they have ever played for on any level, including high school, and that his game plans were extraordinarily simple and naive. He simply didn't have the understanding of the intricacies of an offense or defense in today's NFL to be a head coach. I was pretty surprised, as I would have thought Singletary would have been a very good student of the game.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6315047/26671582

OMG, Gruden and Jaworski have managed to slurp Brees EVEN MORE after his stupid pick-six.

This is unbearable. Matty Ice has been said a billion times, and they've used every positive adjective known to mankind in describing Brees.

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 27, 2010 -> 11:47 PM)
if Atl loses to TB next Sunday and bears beat packers, do the bears get #1 seed?

The Falcons play Carolina in Atlanta. They would have to lose that game, the Bears would have to beat the Packers, and I believe the Saints would have to lose to Tampa as well.