Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
I don't have an issue with any of that.

But where have you been all season? Have you not seen the games where we can't protect the quarterback enough to barely keep him alive, yet alone execute an offense? I'm just not sure how anyone could be confident when it is evident in certain games after about 6 plays that the Bears are going to be absolutely incapable of scoring or running a decent offense.

I've seen them all. If they were going up against a better defense, I would be concerned. But this is a Seahawks team that was 26th in defensive EPA (expected points added). They're 27th in defensive passing EPA and 20th in defensive running EPA. If you look at the traditional yards/game stats, you'll get similar results.

I'm not all that concerned that they might overwhelm our crappy o-line. Because they haven't really overwhelmed anyone all season.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 08:32 PM)
I'm not really a Bears fan, so I hope you're not counting me in that, Shack.

No, this is from what I have read on message boards and heard from my friends, who are all very big Bears fans.

On paper the Bears are the better team and should win, but because of that offensive line, they are capable of being rendered absolutely horrible. Which is why very few national commentators are buying into them at all. And frankly, it's hard to blame them.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 08:52 PM)
I've seen them all. If they were going up against a better defense, I would be concerned. But this is a Seahawks team that was 26th in defensive EPA (expected points added). They're 27th in defensive passing EPA and 20th in defensive running EPA.

Fangraphs does football too? :P

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 08:52 PM)
I've seen them all. If they were going up against a better defense, I would be concerned. But this is a Seahawks team that was 26th in defensive EPA (expected points added). They're 27th in defensive passing EPA and 20th in defensive running EPA. If you look at the traditional yards/game stats, you'll get similar results.

I'm not all that concerned that they might overwhelm our crappy o-line. Because they haven't really overwhelmed anyone all season.

But they were already shut down by this defense. How is it so easy to ignore that?

And what about the Redskins? What was their defense ranked in EPA (Damn you for bringing advanced metrics to football now, you bastard! ;)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 08:54 PM)
No, this is from what I have read on message boards and heard from my friends, who are all very big Bears fans.

On paper the Bears are the better team and should win, but because of that offensive line, they are capable of being rendered absolutely horrible. Which is why very few national commentators are buying into them at all. And frankly, it's hard to blame them.

Oh I agree overall. But as you've learned from my fantastic Saints-NFC West winner prediction that I'm not exactly high on the Seahawks. To be honest, there wasn't a team in the entire playoffs that I'd pick the Bears to beat other than the Hawks. But my predictions have been garbage(minus the Jets-Colts game) up to this point.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 09:13 PM)
Bears were 0-12 on 3rd down and gave up a safety and 6 sacks to the Seahawks and lost by 3 points.

Yeah, but they also returned a punt for a td with 2 minutes left to make it a closer game.

And secondly, it's not like those 3rd down stats and sacks allowed stats are all that out of the ordinary for the Bears. They had several games like that.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 10:27 PM)
Yeah, but they also returned a punt for a td with 2 minutes left to make it a closer game.

And secondly, it's not like those 3rd down stats and sacks allowed stats are all that out of the ordinary for the Bears. They had several games like that.

I don't see how you can hold it against them that the greatest return man in the NFL history made it a closer game.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 09:31 PM)
I don't see how you can hold it against them that the greatest return man in the NFL history made it a closer game.

I'm not holding it against them.

You pointed out some things in an effort to make the loss seem in some ways, more palatable.

I pointed out something to make it less.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 09:41 PM)
Boooooring.

I agree. I would have preferred a rematch of the Pats/Ravens game from last year.

Although maybe we will see that in the AFC Championship.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 08:56 PM)
But they were already shut down by this defense. How is it so easy to ignore that?

And what about the Redskins? What was their defense ranked in EPA (Damn you for bringing advanced metrics to football now, you bastard! ;)

The Bears ran the ball 14 times that game. Having no rushing attack absolutely screwed that o-line because it made the offense so predictable. It's probably not going to be the same thing this time around.

As for that Redskins the game, the Bears moved the ball decently. They just choked when they got into the red zone and Cutler got turnover-happy.

Both of the games are before the scheme changes and I think it's pretty easy to see that the Bears from after that point are much different performance-wise.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 11:01 PM)
I agree. I would have preferred a rematch of the Pats/Ravens game from last year.

Although maybe we will see that in the AFC Championship.

I think divisional matchups in the playoffs are a yawnfest when they happen too often.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 10:08 PM)
The Bears ran the ball 14 times that game. Having no rushing attack absolutely screwed that o-line because it made the offense so predictable. It's probably not going to be the same thing this time around.

As for that Redskins the game, the Bears moved the ball decently. They just choked when they got into the red zone and Cutler got turnover-happy.

Both of the games are before the scheme changes and I think it's pretty easy to see that the Bears from after that point are much different performance-wise.

I couldn't disagree more.

What scheme change are you talking about? The realization that it helps your offensive line if you run the ball more?

What I have seen is a pattern. When teams are able to slow down the Bears running game, the Bears get forced into 3rd and longs, and then the blitzes come, and Cutler panics. When the Bears are able to run the ball effectively, they keep 2nd and 3rd down manageable, the downs are not so clearly passing downs or passing plays that take a long time to develop, and our offense is able to function and sometimes even flourish, because they do have some talent.

But I haven't seen a whole lot that shows that some major shift has been made in terms of a game plan or a philosophy, other than trying to commit to the running game more. We have seen the collapses as late as in the New England game and the game last week against the Packers. What happened to our scheme then?

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 11:16 PM)
I guess I'll be outnumbered here, but go Seahawks! I'm glad my team doesn't have to rely on Cutler. Do you Bears fans have faith in Cutler?

If he is given enough protection, yes, absolutely.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 11:16 PM)
I guess I'll be outnumbered here, but go Seahawks! I'm glad my team doesn't have to rely on Cutler. Do you Bears fans have faith in Cutler?

Look man, I'm happy for you and all, but seriously, you think it is a good idea to be posting stuff like that that is designed to inflame people?

It's great to cheer on your team, and you have every right to do it, but come on...no need to start with that stuff...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 10:18 PM)
Look man, I'm happy for you and all, but seriously, you think it is a good idea to be posting stuff like that that is designed to inflame people?

It's great to cheer on your team, and you have every right to do it, but come on...no need to start with that stuff...

I'm not trying to inflame anybody, I'm asking a serious question.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 11:18 PM)

no need, but if he does it anyway and gets flamed... /shrug

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 9, 2011 -> 10:18 PM)

Mark, I'm all for good natured jabs, no worries. I'm no internet forum pest. Plus, I predicted and hoped for a Bears/Seahawks rematch last week...

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 4, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
Seattle has no pressure on them to win, the Saints better look out. Next stop after that, the Bears. Then the Packers back in Seattle, then the Steelers in Dallas. Super Bowl 45, the revenge of the Seahawks. Go Seahawks!

Edited by JPN366