Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 09:43 AM)
i was hearing the beginnings of it on Mike and Mike in the morning today. Last 3 playoff games all losses 5TDs compared to 4 INTs and 2 of the previous 3 gms were played at home (the other one was the superbowl against the giants)

Really? I'm impressed people are bringing that up. We've heard how much Manning struggles in the playoffs for so many years, when Brady hasn't won anything since the Belichick defense started getting old.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 09:41 AM)
Wasn't this supposed to be the rebuilding year for the Pats?

And next year, it'll be another Rebuilding year for the Pats. After all, they just drafted 8 guys in the first 4 rounds of the 2011 draft, you can't expect them to compete right away. Right?

We're hearing that Manning is starting to slip and get old already...Brady clearly has more talent surrounding him right now (esp. given the injuries), I just haven't heard the same silliness regarding Brady yet.

i really am glad brady lost.....anytime i watch him anymore all he is doing on the field is crying about everything. just tired of seeing all of that every week when they struggle or things dont go Mr. Brady's way

Edited by beckham15

You know, one interesting wrinkle is that the reason why the Jets' game plan (denying the Pats their usual intermediate high percentage passing game) worked was that the Pats didn't have a legitimate deep threat. So when the Jets brought up a safety and keep their LB's over the middle to deny the Pats passes to Welker and the TE's in that area, Brady couldn't beat it by going over the top to a WR running a fly route.

Of course, this is probably the first time all season that I've said a team could have used Randy Moss.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 09:01 AM)
You know, one interesting wrinkle is that the reason why the Jets' game plan (denying the Pats their usual intermediate high percentage passing game) worked was that the Pats didn't have a legitimate deep threat. So when the Jets brought up a safety and keep their LB's over the middle to deny the Pats passes to Welker and the TE's in that area, Brady couldn't beat it by going over the top to a WR running a fly route.

Of course, this is probably the first time all season that I've said a team could have used Randy Moss.

wasnt branch brought back to be that deep threat?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)
wasnt branch brought back to be that deep threat?

Kinda, but even during the Pats glory days the Pats never really had a true deep threat and you can't really expect Branch to suddenly be that. There's a reason why that team in 2001-2004 was winning with the short, high percentage passing game combined with running and screen games. Branch was brought in more-so to be a realistic second passing option who knew the offense. He was never going to suddenly morph into DeSean Jackson just because he was back in NE.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 08:48 AM)
And next year, it'll be another Rebuilding year for the Pats. After all, they just drafted 8 guys in the first 4 rounds of the 2011 draft, you can't expect them to compete right away. Right?

We're hearing that Manning is starting to slip and get old already...Brady clearly has more talent surrounding him right now (esp. given the injuries), I just haven't heard the same silliness regarding Brady yet.

Strongly disagree about the talent. When they got rid of Moss, Brady had much inferior talent. Tate is a decent player and they have some decent TE's, but Branch was their best WR and he's nothing to write home about. Welker really isn't all that good, he's just sneaky and is good for underneath routes.

Manning has Dallas Clark and Reggie Wayne. Two guys alone who make Indy's defense so much better. I will say Brady has a better RB, but not by much.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
Strongly disagree about the talent. When they got rid of Moss, Brady had much inferior talent. Tate is a decent player and they have some decent TE's, but Branch was their best WR and he's nothing to write home about. Welker really isn't all that good, he's just sneaky and is good for underneath routes.

Manning has Dallas Clark and Reggie Wayne. Two guys alone who make Indy's defense so much better. I will say Brady has a better RB, but not by much.

Offense? ;)

Reprogrammed Martz has Bears offense clicking

The meeting had to happen. Offensive coordinator Mike Martz just wasn’t getting it – wasn’t feeling what the Chicago Bears had to be about – and the volume of the voices imploring head coach Lovie Smith were only getting louder. As one team source told Yahoo! Sports of the moment, “It was kind of a ‘now or never’ thing [with Martz]. We just had to find some common ground between Lovie and Mike. Actually, to be honest, I think we had to find common ground between Mike and the rest of the team.”

The following bye week was when Smith met with Martz and delivered a message with crystal clarity: the offense needed to adjust. The running backs were not inanimate objects. There needed to be more dedication to the running game, and more scheme discipline – and it wouldn’t be a debate. Now almost three months later, with that bye week in the rear view, Martz has parlayed some of the most balanced play-calling of his career into an NFC championship game appearance, with a 35-24 win over the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday at Soldier Field.

Martz’s ability to adjust his style – to ride the even offensive keel that his critics have long said wasn’t possible – has been one of the revelations that have delivered the Bears to next week’s conference championship against the Green Bay Packers.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)

I like that he has adjusted, not only to the run game, but to feature the TE's like he did yesteray. It was a huge F.U. to the critics. I will say though, the Bears still need better WR's and overall a better turf to get a consistent offense rolling. Until that happens, any offense which predicates on speed as well as defense, would not be optimal. Unfortunately for the Bears, everything they do is predicated on speed.

I fully do not expect them to win the Super Bowl. Heck, I don't expect them to make it, but I've been wrong before. And Bears fans better hope Angelo doesn't use this year as an excuse to not fix up that O-Line which Tice has done a crazy good job with. I would've expected Cutler to be icing in the offseason from the beating he took throughout the year.

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 11:13 AM)
I like that he has adjusted, not only to the run game, but to feature the TE's like he did yesteray. It was a huge F.U. to the critics. I will say though, the Bears still need better WR's and overall a better turf to get a consistent offense rolling. Until that happens, any offense which predicates on speed as well as defense, would not be optimal. Unfortunately for the Bears, everything they do is predicated on speed.

I fully do not expect them to win the Super Bowl. Heck, I don't expect them to make it, but I've been wrong before. And Bears fans better hope Angelo doesn't use this year as an excuse to not fix up that O-Line which Tice has done a crazy good job with. I would've expected Cutler to be icing in the offseason from the beating he took throughout the year.

If the turf matter is not dealt with this offseason I will be really pissed off. Again another embarrassing showing on a national stage, nothing but brown dirt and green painted dirt all over the field, then you switch to the New England game where they basically had the same weather conditions for the last month and see a really green nice artificial turf field. How the park district and Bears FO can continue to defend these field conditions is completely beyond me.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
I fail to see how anyone can embrace this team as likable.

Agreed, the Patriots are not likeable IMO either. Jets take it too far many times (ex: this story) but ever since Spygate came out and everyone being on the Pats nutsac, I kinda rooted for them to win

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)

For this year though, Manning didn't have Dallas Clark. He had Wayne, but he had Wayne, Garcon, and that was pretty much it. Jacob Tamme might someday be something, but he's no where near the level of the other 2. Just look at how night and day the difference was for manning in games where he had Collie as one extra receiving target.

Indy also gave up a ton more points/game on defense than NE this year.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
along with the turf. It really is the worst field in sports. They should move to that synthetic mix that GB has or rolly with what NE has.

Worst pro turf I have seen but the Fresno St. turf made Soldier Field's turf look majestic.

According to my research (yea, it's a slow day at work), if the Chicago Bears or Green Bay Packers play the New York Jets in the Super Bowl, they will be the first Super Bowl team since 1993 whose playoff opponents were also teams they played in the regular season. Of the 88 teams to have played in the Super Bowl, this has only happened to 9 teams.

Other teams accomplishing this feat:

1993 Dallas Cowboys

1993 Buffalo Bills

1990 Buffalo Bills

1986 New York Giants

1985 New England Patriots

1981 San Francisco 49ers

1981 Cincinnati Bengals

1980 Philadelphia Eagles

1977 Denver Broncos

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
along with the turf. It really is the worst field in sports. They should move to that synthetic mix that GB has or rolly with what NE has.

On the radio a couple of weeks back I think they said Heinz field was worse because of all of the college games they play on it....not saying the bears is in good shape.