Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 03:56 PM)
Rodgers is completing 71.6 of his passes vs The Bears this year. So its not out of the question that he has a good day.

I'm pretty sure he will have a good day. I think if the Bears are going to win, it's going to have to be at the hands of Jay Cutler. He's going to have to do some things that not a lot of teams have done against the Packers' defense.

I think the game is going to be a lot like the first game was, except that the Packers aren't going to commit 20 penalties, so the Bears are going to have to play better.

I'm going to guess 28-27 Bears.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 04:04 PM)
really though, at the beginning of the year if I told you Rodgers would complete 71.6 percent of his passes vs the bears, would you have thought that he put up 17 and 10 points?

Well in the first game you had 35 penalties and the second game you had two touchdowns dropped by Packer WRs.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 05:06 PM)
I wonder what effect the extra day of rest will have for the Packers. Will they look fresher?

Probably not. The Bears are coming off a buy week while the Packers have been playing playoff-level games for about 6 weeks now. Besides, the Bears aren't on short rest either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 04:09 PM)
Probably not. The Bears are coming off a buy week while the Packers have been playing playoff-level games for about 6 weeks now. Besides, the Bears aren't on short rest either.

What did the Bears buy?

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 04:06 PM)
Well in the first game you had 35 penalties and the second game you had two touchdowns dropped by Packer WRs.

Even if the passes were caught, they would have put up 21 instead of 10(they settled for a field goal on one dropped TD). Seems like 71 percent of passes would have Rodgers putting up some bigtime scoring, and the Bears held him relatively in check.

Im not even going to get into the penalty discussion, the Packers were very undisciplined in that game.

For the Bears to beat the Packers, they're going to have a flawless game when it comes to turnovers. That means defense needs to cause 3 turnovers, the offense needs 1 or less. In "Bear" weather, I think the game benefits the Packers more. Their defense will cause Cutler to throw at least 3 stupid passes he usually does, but will be caught. I also think the 7 step drops combined with the Bears O-Line will be a recipe for disaster. We'll see though. That's why the play the games.

In the end: Packers 24 Bears 14. It'll be close throughout, but the Packers put them away with a field goal late.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
The thing I worry the most about playing in Chicago is the freak play. A blocked field goal, return for a TD or something like that. Fans eat that up and it can change the game in a second.

That's not really a freak play when your team is capable of doing it at any time.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)
I'm pretty sure he will have a good day. I think if the Bears are going to win, it's going to have to be at the hands of Jay Cutler. He's going to have to do some things that not a lot of teams have done against the Packers' defense.

I think the game is going to be a lot like the first game was, except that the Packers aren't going to commit 20 penalties, so the Bears are going to have to play better.

I'm going to guess 28-27 Bears.

No the Bears have to run the ball and control time of possession. Cutler will need to make some big throws, but the running game is where this game has to be won.

The Pack has averaged 19 ppg against teams with top 10 rushing defenses based on rushing ypg. And that's including 45 points against the Giants and 2 drubbings of the Vikings. Just taking out the Giants game the average drops to 16 ppg.

If you start looking through the numbers it becomes clear that the Pack is a defensive team with a one dimensional offense. They will likely struggle to score points against the Bears (as has been proven on the field). They are beatable if you don't allow big plays from Rodgers and maintain balance. The one case where that formula didn't work was against the Jets and that's because Sanchez threw 2 picks. That's where Cutler has to be smart.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)
No the Bears have to run the ball and control time of possession. Cutler will need to make some big throws, but the running game is where this game has to be won.

The Pack has averaged 19 ppg against teams with top 10 rushing defenses based on rushing ypg. And that's including 45 points against the Giants and 2 drubbings of the Vikings. Just taking out the Giants game the average drops to 16 ppg.

If you start looking through the numbers it becomes clear that the Pack is a defensive team with a one dimensional offense. They will likely struggle to score points against the Bears (as has been proven on the field). They are beatable if you don't allow big plays from Rodgers and maintain balance. The one case where that formula didn't work was against the Jets and that's because Sanchez threw 2 picks. That's where Cutler has to be smart.

Well that much is pretty obvious, but the difference between doing that without Jay playing well and with him playing well is basically the last game of the season. They're not going to be able to run on the Packers unless they are able to convert some big plays in the passing game.

According to the Green Bay Press Gazette, Greg Jennings was quoted saying "I'm more worried about who we going to be playing in the superbowl, not the Bears. We already there , in my opinion we already there, ain't no game to be played Sunday, we already there."

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 17, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)
According to the Green Bay Press Gazette, Greg Jennings was quoted saying "I'm more worried about who we going to be playing in the superbowl, not the Bears. We already there , in my opinion we already there, ain't no game to be played Sunday, we already there."

Very surprised after what I just saw him saying on ESPN. Sounds like he is singing two different tunes, one to the national media and another to the GB media.