Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

Not much the Bears could have done in this draft with so few picks (although that's their own fault), but the LeFevour pick was stupid and a waste. I like Major Wright though, and feel he can help at safety as an immediate starter. Corey Wootton could also be a very good player if he ever gets healthy, but that's a BIG question mark. He was definitely worth a 4th round pick though. Beyond that, meh, although I think Freddie Barnes is an interesting UFA signing. He has incredible hands and knows how to get open, I don't care what the competition is, numbers like the ones he put up last year are amazing.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 25, 2010 -> 06:05 PM)
If they can get a draft pick for Lynch, they should do so ASAP.

Which is of course the wrong way to do it, if you're a struggling team trying to develop talent. You play guys like Lynch, try to help them work through their problems, and then consider trading them after they've put together a surprise 1300 yard season. You don't draft a guy to move him to 3rd on the depth chart and basically require yourself to release him.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 01:44 AM)
I think Freddie Barnes is an interesting UFA signing. He has incredible hands and knows how to get open, I don't care what the competition is, numbers like the ones he put up last year are amazing.

138 Catches, 1551 yards, 16 TDs . . . that is a ridiculous season. Too bad he ran a 4.67 at the combine or he probably would've got drafted. He was smart to sign here though, because he seems like a guy that might fit in with Martz's scheme.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 10:57 AM)
A very solid weekend for them. The sooner they cut Russel the better. Campbell will be a nice 2-3 year bridge to the next QB.

They'd be crazy not to do it this year. They get to choose between paying him $3 million to cut him or a much larger amount to keep him, IIRC.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 08:48 AM)
Which is of course the wrong way to do it, if you're a struggling team trying to develop talent. You play guys like Lynch, try to help them work through their problems, and then consider trading them after they've put together a surprise 1300 yard season. You don't draft a guy to move him to 3rd on the depth chart and basically require yourself to release him.

I still don't think you'd get much for a running back anyways. Ricky Williams and Herschel Walker went for like 1st round picks, but they are rare, elite talents, and I'm not about to compare Marshawn Lynch to either one of those two. Thomas Jones and the 62nd pick went for the 37th pick. Travis Henry was traded for a 3rd round pick. Willis McGahee went for a 3rd and a 7th in the current draft and a 3rd the following season. I'd compare Lynch much more talent wise to those two, but he's not consistently healthy and he's never been an explosive back. If there is anyone who compares well to Marshawn Lynch, it's probably Cedric Benson...bust in his first 2-3 seasons, off-field trouble, and gets on the coaches s*** list...and Ced Benson was cut and then picked up by a Bengals franchise that really doesn't look at the character of the players they bring in.

I do agree that getting something would be better than nothing, but I think the Bills are just going to use all 3 this year and then determine which of Jackson and Lynch they want to keep. I actually think there's a legitimate chance, albeit not a great chance, that both of them could be gone by this time next season.

Jags just released Henderson, any chance the Bears take a look? Still think he has a couple of good seasons left and paired with Tommie/Peppers should make a pretty dangerous D-Line. Also hoping they still bring in a veteran safety whether it be Atogwe or Hamlin. On the offensive side of the ball, Faneca was just released and he was part of the best O-Line in the NFL last season.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
Jags just released Henderson, any chance the Bears take a look? Still think he has a couple of good seasons left and paired with Tommie/Peppers should make a pretty dangerous D-Line. Also hoping they still bring in a veteran safety whether it be Atogwe or Hamlin. On the offensive side of the ball, Faneca was just released and he was part of the best O-Line in the NFL last season.

Faneca may have been apart of one of the best OLines in the league last year, but he had nothing to do with it, as he was mediocre. He was released because he can be easily replaced.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2010 -> 06:22 PM)
The Bears have more than enough LB's.

Moreover, Thomas is a OLB in a 3-4. His skill set wouldn't be best used in the 4-3 Tampa 2.

From all indications he's going to the Jets and reuniting with Rex Ryan, the guy he had the most success with.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 01:20 PM)
Chris Harris: "Breaking News- I will be traded to Chicago Bears. Carolina u have been great and deeply missed. I have a special place in my heart for you"

Brad Biggs: "Trade could involve a veteran linebacker."

Makes sense, they're like 6 deep there.

Somehow I think they'll probably give up more to get him back than they got when they sold him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 12:25 PM)
Makes sense, they're like 6 deep there.

Somehow I think they'll probably give up more to get him back than they got when they sold him.

Well, we got what, a 5th round pick for him? What linebacker would we trade?

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 12:39 PM)
Chris Harris has played pretty damn well with Carolina since leaving the Bears. I'd launch Jamar Williams training camp wonder boy for him in a second

Frankenstein returns?