Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)
The more I thought about it, the more it made sense actually.

I came up with an analogous play. Say a receiver catches a ball in the endzone, falls to the ground and as he's making contact with the ground, the ball pops out, that's not a catch. I think in one way or another, the play yesterday is somewhat similar to that.

Well that is exactly what the rule was created to address. That IS the play this rule was intended to address.

Unfortunately, in this case, the receiver clearly had possession, and in my opinion, actually lost possession of the ball not when he was going to the ground, but when he was attempting to get back up.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You know what sucks about this season, nobody will be happy regardless of the outcome. Friends of mine are rooting for the Bears to fail so that the Angelo/Smith regime is booted, and this is something that is totally against the fiber of my being, I just cannot do it. I understand that Lovie and Angelo have made many critical mistakes that have basically dismantled the Superbowl team due to their arrogance, but that doesnt mean I want to see the Bears lose.

And then there are the fans that are never happy even when the Bears win. All day long people called into the Score, and you would of thought they lost by 50 by the way people were talking. Fire Smith, promote Martz. Cut Cutler, promote Collins. The Defense was good for 59 minutes but horrible for 1, so they should of lost the game. There is no such thing as small steps of progress to this town, you either are Patriots good or Lions bad, and the Bears are Lions bad according to Chicago.

Its hard to be a fan of the Bears nowadays

QUOTE (The Critic @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)
The thing I love about fans is, if the exact same play caused the Bears to lose we'd have impassioned explanations about why the call was complete and total bulls***.

It did happen to the Bears last season I believe. And I'm pretty sure 90 percent of Bears fans know that it was a bulls*** call, but we'll still take the W

New York Jets owner Woody Johnson apologized to female TV reporter Ines Sainz while the NFL is investigating her complaints of taunting and mistreatment by Jets players.

Sainz said that Jets coach Rex Ryan, one of his assistants and some of the team's players allegedly pestered her with goofy, on-field antics and locker-room catcalls during and after a weekend practice at the Jets' New Jersey facility.

The NFL and team officials said on Sunday they were also investigating reports that some Jets team members made suggestive comments to Sainz, who calls herself "the hottest sports reporter in Mexico."

"I called her the minute I found out about it, and I finally spoke to her later on in the day," Johnson said, according to ESPN.com. "We take this very, very seriously, as you can imagine. We want all of our reporters, female or male, to be comfortable wherever they are, on the sideline, in the locker room or at a game. We have to make the working environment professional, representing the New York Jets well."

However, the correspondent is now saying her claims were being taken out of proportion. In an interview with Mexican TV station DeporTV Monday, Sainz said she never felt offended and that the whole situation was taken out of context.

"In my opinion, I never felt attacked, nor that they reacted grossly toward me," she said. "I arrived in the locker room, and there were comments and games. One of the other reporters came up to me and apologized for what was happening, but I thought (the players) were joking around."

Sainz wrote on her Twitter page Monday morning: "Thanks everyone for your support. I already spoke to the NFL, which will decide if there will or will not be consequences. I can say that at the time I didn't want to pay attention to what was happening but the rest of the media heard clearly and in solidarity have denounced what happened, hoping that there is always a respectful climate."

TOO HOT TO HANDLE?

She’s at the center of a controversy with the Jets. Check out Ines Sainz, the self-proclaimed "hottest sports reporter in Mexico."

During the portion of practice open to the media, Ryan and defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman purposely overthrew passes so they would land near Sainz, she said.

Later, during a locker-room availability, several players allegedly hooted and hollered when Sainz walked in. She later tweeted she was "dying of embarrassment."

Team executives said in a statement: "The New York Jets believe that reporters have a job to do, and it is our obligation to provide them with proper and professional access.

"Woody Johnson spoke with Ines Sainz of TV Azteca today to discuss the time she spent covering the team yesterday. He stressed to Ines that he expects all members of the Jets organization to conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times."

The Association for Women in Sports Media said in a statement Sunday night that both the NFL and the Jets were ''responsive to our concerns'' and that it would continue to monitor the situation.

''We are awaiting the results of the investigation,'' the statement read, ''and further action from the NFL and Jets.''

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Hottest reporter in Mexico, too hot to handle.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Woody-J...ork-Jets-091310

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/Ines-...-gallery-091310

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
It did happen to the Bears last season I believe. And I'm pretty sure 90 percent of Bears fans know that it was a bulls*** call, but we'll still take the W

It happened against the Bears...Greg Jennings had a TD taken away against us last season. Twice now it has gone in our favor.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)
The thing I love about fans is, if the exact same play caused the Bears to lose we'd have impassioned explanations about why the call was complete and total bulls***.

The vast majority of Bears fans I have heard from agree that it shouldn't have been incomplete. Sure there is the meathead factor, but for the most part Bears fans understand the rule sucks.

I haven't heard many Bears fans actually trying to rationalize it, just about everybody I've talked to thinks the rule is bulls***. The only place I've seen that is comments on the Yahoo news article and everyone there is an idiot so it doesn't count.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
The more I thought about it, the more it made sense actually.

I came up with an analogous play. Say a receiver catches a ball in the endzone, falls to the ground and as he's making contact with the ground, the ball pops out, that's not a catch. I think in one way or another, the play yesterday is somewhat similar to that.

The problem is that he had CLEAR possession with BOTH hands, touched both feet down and I think a hip touched the ground before he ever let the ball touch the ground. This wasn't a receiver who caught the ball and his first contact with the ground the ball popped out. He had already made the catch in what the league considers "in bounds".

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 07:22 PM)
The problem is that he had CLEAR possession with BOTH hands, touched both feet down and I think a hip touched the ground before he ever let the ball touch the ground. This wasn't a receiver who caught the ball and his first contact with the ground the ball popped out. He had already made the catch in what the league considers "in bounds".

What would be interesting is say that play happened on the 50 yard line, the exact way except the receiver was never touched by a defender, as he pops up to run, the ball pops out, according to the rule, it wouldn't be a fumble but an incomplete pass. I'm sure if the Bears recovered it, it wouldn't be as obvious to Lovie as yesterday supposedly was and he would have thrown his little red flag and been rejected yet again.

Detroit's coach said the call was correct. Obviously, the rule needs tweaking, but I'm a Bears fan, its a great rule today. I agree he had a lot better possession of it than a lot of plays I've seen in the past, but it was changed this year, probably to make it a lot easier to call on the field.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 06:33 PM)
What would be interesting is say that play happened on the 50 yard line, the exact way except the receiver was never touched by a defender, as he pops up to run, the ball pops out, according to the rule, it wouldn't be a fumble but an incomplete pass. I'm sure if the Bears recovered it, it wouldn't be as obvious to Lovie as yesterday supposedly was and he would have thrown his little red flag and been rejected yet again.

I'm not sure about that. I think had it occurred elsewhere on the field, it would have been ruled a fumble. In my opinion, the ball did not come out when the receiver went to the ground, but rather, when he tried to get back up. I think the fact that the play occurred in the end zone allows for the "process" of making the catch and going to the ground to be scrutinized for far too long, since the actual end of the play is determined subjectively, and not by some outside force, such as the out of bounds barrier or the player being ruled down by contact.

Mark Sanchez is the worst QB in the league.. his arm makes Chad Penningtons arm look like Dan Marinos..

Every single Jets loss this season will be sooo sweet because of all those loud mouth jackasses they have on that team.. especially that fat f*** Rex Ryan..

J-E-T-S SUCK! SUCK! SUCK!

QUOTE (T R U @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 10:18 PM)
Mark Sanchez is the worst QB in the league.. his arm makes Chad Penningtons arm look like Dan Marinos..

Every single Jets loss this season will be sooo sweet because of all those loud mouth jackasses they have on that team.. especially that fat f*** Rex Ryan..

J-E-T-S SUCK! SUCK! SUCK!

I never understood the hype the Jets got before the season started. I think they're a pretty good team, but Super Bowl contendors? I don't think so. New England is probably going to win the division. Rex Ryan also gets so much media coverage. If the exact same team was in Buffalo or Cleveland they wouldn't get the same hype, just because it's New York.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 10:32 PM)
Does anybody remember last year, like week 4 when everybody was sucking Sanchez's dick because the Jets were winning? Not because he was looking impressive, just unwarranted hype.

Oh you bet your ass I remember, their fans wouldn't let us hear the end of it..

Even though statistically he was awful..

Watching this video and reminding me of these plays makes me feel a little better about that play yesterday, just to show some consistency. Yes I know Larry Mayer is a total homer but watch: http://www.chicagobears.com/multimedia/mul...amp;play_clip=Y

Yeah, it was bulls***, but turnabout is fair play I guess.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 06:05 PM)

It happened in a Bears game when Greg Jennings was catching the pass at Soldier Field, I dont remember what exactly happened.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 10:36 PM)
The Chiefs' rookies are doing work with the punt returns.

The NFL analysts liked them as a playoff (surprise) team this year. Looks like a pretty exciting team in this game so far, McCluster and Arenas have had some sick returns.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Sep 13, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
The NFL analysts liked them as a playoff (surprise) team this year. Looks like a pretty exciting team in this game so far, McCluster and Arenas have had some sick returns.

That's good to hear. They play in a weak division so it's possible if San Diego has some issues this year.