Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 04:24 PM)
What trickery could they have done on 4th down. When you go for it on 4th down, you go with your best engine. Forte was just that on Sunday. Would you have preferred a reverse? A QB sneak? A statue of liberty play? As they say on ESPN...CMONNNNNNNNNNNNN MANNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Something other than up the middle with your 5-6 guys trying to push 8-9 of their guys forwards. Think about it...if you're running straight ahead and the other team knows it...at best you're at a 2 man disadvantage; QB and ball carrier...and you've got to get through a tiny zone with nearly 20 large bodies in it.

Spread things out. Fake a pass. Bring in an extra WR. Delay the handoff. Run a pitch to the outside. Play fake and throw to a TE. Bring in the 2nd running back and have both of them run the dive play while only 1 gets the ball. Something..anything...other than running straight ahead.

Running straight ahead into a wall might be a play that's considered manning up...but it's starting off at a disadvantage in personnel and it's a poor format. It'll work sometimes...but it'll work better if you do something to distract the defense's attention.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
Sanders is way too overrated and too injury prone to be counted on. He's more injury prone than Tracy McGrady.

He makes Mike Brown look like Brett Favre and his games streak.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)
Something interesting I came accross for the stat heads of Soxtalk talk... Lovie Smith was right to go for it on the 4th down play from the 1 yard line...

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2010/09/lovies-blunders.html

Me and nite had no problem with the call, especially given Lovie was given the "no balls title" long ago, but Stafford out didn't help his decision at all. Next time though.. you do it with Chester Taylor at the goal line (especially in 3rd down) who is one of the best short yardage backs in the league. Just terrible evaluating, almost as bad as playing man to man on Calvin Johnson late in the game.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
He makes Mike Brown look like Brett Favre and his games streak.

Me and nite had no problem with the call, especially given Lovie was given the "no balls title" long ago, but Stafford out didn't help his decision at all. Next time though.. you do it with Chester Taylor at the goal line (especially in 3rd down) who is one of the best short yardage backs in the league. Just terrible evaluating, almost as bad as playing man to man on Calvin Johnson late in the game.

I agree, if there is one criticism for Lovie on that play, it's perhaps not giving it to Chester Taylor who was your biggest offseason acquisition last year. Maybe put him in a two back set with Forte. That's nitpicky considering the day Forte had, but it's valid at the same time.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)
I know a good way to offset all these season-ending injuries...add two more games! Brutal f***ing proposal from day 1.

Since we're talking about these season ending injuries after week 1...I assume the only logical conclusion is that the appropriate length of the NFL season is 0 games.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 05:51 PM)
I agree, if there is one criticism for Lovie on that play, it's perhaps not giving it to Chester Taylor who was your biggest offseason acquisition last year. Maybe put him in a two back set with Forte. That's nitpicky considering the day Forte had, but it's valid at the same time.

Not really nitpicky considering Forte's big day came from receiving. On the ground he was meh, mediocre actually 17/50/2.9, 2 fumbles and one lost.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
Field Goal = lead = right choice

ding ding ding.

Lubbie was given the ball-less title when he does s*** like take a knee with 40 seconds left in a half and a play or 2 within FG range. Not by being an idiot and passing on a lead when the other team hasn't gotten a first down in 2 hours

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)
ding ding ding.

Lubbie was given the ball-less title when he does s*** like take a knee with 40 seconds left in a half and a play or 2 within FG range. Not by being an idiot and passing on a lead when the other team hasn't gotten a first down in 2 hours

Did you see the Cowboys game when they ran a play with a few seconds left before the half? Yeah, Tashard Choice fumbled the ball and DeAngelo Hall scored a TD which ended up resulting a win. So don't give me that garbage. Stats show Lovie should've gone for it, he went for it, and he failed. It happens.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
Did you see the Cowboys game when they ran a play with a few seconds left before the half? Yeah, Tashard Choice fumbled the ball and DeAngelo Hall scored a TD which ended up resulting a win. So don't give me that garbage. Stats show Lovie should've gone for it, he went for it, and he failed. It happens.

Had the Lions scored a TD (and they came as close to it as you possibly can, actually scoring one and then having it taken away) it wouldn't have mattered. Unless the Bears also converted 2 after that in which case we are lowering the odds. They still had more than half a quarter to play, and the Bears did in fact score later which, had it happened when they had a 2-point lead instead of a 1-point deficit, would've effectively put the game out of reach for the Lions barring some crazy luck with an onside kick or a fluky turnover. The Bears went for 2 after their TD but they wouldn't have had to do that since they'd have already had the 3 points in the bag - the whole bird in the hand thing. I don't think this is being overly critical, nitpicky, or looking at things with hindsight. These are the kinds of decisions I expect Lovie to know he has to make automatically. Like not calling a timeout at the end of a playoff game to give your opponent one more shot to win the game.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)

Stats with questionable methodology. They simply look at average conversion rates but don't incorporate actual in-game information such as the Lions lack of a first down in that half and that they had Shaun Hill at QB. It's a very superficial analysis and not anything close to a definitive answer.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
Stats with questionable methodology. They simply look at average conversion rates but don't incorporate actual in-game information such as the Lions lack of a first down in that half and that they had Shaun Hill at QB. It's a very superficial analysis and not anything close to a definitive answer.

Or the fact that that is probably one of the weakest parts of Forte's game. At least use Taylor.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Sep 14, 2010 -> 07:59 PM)
Even though I'm a Bears fan, it sucks about Ryan Grant - he was my 1st pick in Fantasy this year. Forte and McFadden are going to have to shoulder the load now.

Good luck with that. Michael Bush is coming back and Oakland adores him.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 15, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)

Uhh, did you read what I wrote? The Cowboys were on the 20 and had 6 seconds left. Lubbie has taken plenty a knee with 30+ seconds left and one solid play away from FG range. Thats why he sucks.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
Uhh, did you read what I wrote? The Cowboys were on the 20 and had 6 seconds left. Lubbie has taken plenty a knee with 30+ seconds left and one solid play away from FG range. Thats why he sucks.

Yep...and he sucks for so many other reasons as well. I can't understand how anyone can defend him and his boneheaded decisions over the years. He has actually ruined the Bears for me. I despise his game attitude, his scheme, his player evaluation and his overall disposition. The accountability on this team has been non existent. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but not as the coach of the team I have watched since birth. I want him gone so bad, but I just can't root against the Bears. This causes a bizarre Jekyll and Hyde situation on Sundays that is only resolved with copious amounts of alcohol. My liver can't take it anymore!!

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 11:16 AM)
Yep...and he sucks for so many other reasons as well. I can't understand how anyone can defend him and his boneheaded decisions over the years. He has actually ruined the Bears for me. I despise his game attitude, his scheme, his player evaluation and his overall disposition. The accountability on this team has been non existent. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but not as the coach of the team I have watched since birth. I want him gone so bad, but I just can't root against the Bears. This causes a bizarre Jekyll and Hyde situation on Sundays that is only resolved with copious amounts of alcohol. My liver can't take it anymore!!

His attitude amplifies all his other sucky qualities by 1000. I just want to hear him say for once "yeah that was stupid on my part, I'll get that fixed" instead of his usual "pfff, silly reporter, i clearly know more about this game than you so I don't have to explain myself" attitude.

His "scheme" doesn't work when you don't have the players to run it yet he refuses to accept this. Up until this year, we had a non-existent pass rush, yet he runs the D like we have an all-pro d-line and amazing secondary. We f***ing don't, adapt to it. He has single handily cost this team wins and therefore playoff appearances, and not fake-cost them games like Ozzie.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
Anybody else disappointed they changed the SNF open? I liked watching Faith Hill dressed as a hooker. Even her husband probably tuned in to see it.

What is the new one?

I'm with you.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 17, 2010 -> 12:28 PM)
His attitude amplifies all his other sucky qualities by 1000. I just want to hear him say for once "yeah that was stupid on my part, I'll get that fixed" instead of his usual "pfff, silly reporter, i clearly know more about this game than you so I don't have to explain myself" attitude.

His "scheme" doesn't work when you don't have the players to run it yet he refuses to accept this. Up until this year, we had a non-existent pass rush, yet he runs the D like we have an all-pro d-line and amazing secondary. We f***ing don't, adapt to it. He has single handily cost this team wins and therefore playoff appearances, and not fake-cost them games like Ozzie.

I'm pretty sure he has the highest winning percentage of near the top of the last few Bears coaches. Also, how do you expect a head coach to run a scheme he knows nothing about. If he doesn't have the players to run his scheme, that falls on his GM, not him. You knew what scheme he ran when he was hired. It was proven to work in multiple stops.

And you want him to perform career suicide by saying "Yeah, I messed that up. Yeah, that too. That's my fault. Yep, my scheme sucks."

:lolhitting

Lovie is by far one of the better coaches in the league. He just doesn't have the horses. That's my outsider perspective on things.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
I'm pretty sure he has the highest winning percentage of near the top of the last few Bears coaches. Also, how do you expect a head coach to run a scheme he knows nothing about. If he doesn't have the players to run his scheme, that falls on his GM, not him. You knew what scheme he ran when he was hired. It was proven to work in multiple stops.

And you want him to perform career suicide by saying "Yeah, I messed that up. Yeah, that too. That's my fault. Yep, my scheme sucks."

:lolhitting

Lovie is by far one of the better coaches in the league. He just doesn't have the horses. That's my outsider perspective on things.

hahaha, "by far" my ass. He is god awful. Your perspective is wrong.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 01:56 PM)
hahaha, "by far" my ass. He is god awful. Your perspective is wrong.

Ok, so with another coach, the Bears are a Super Bowl contender? They're a playoff contender? They can switch to a 3-4 scheme and they'll instantly be better? They haven't tried different offenses? The next coach is going to pick the "right" offense because he's smarter than Lovie, right? The offensive line is filled up and down with Pro Bowl talent? Their corners are flat speed studs who can cover anyone in the open field or hit them hard enough to fumble each time? Urlacher is not aging? The Bears have two semi studs and one huge stud as WR's?

The only wrong move Lovie is doing is not playing Major Wright and Chris Harris together at their natural positions.

But please, have the forum and prove me wrong.