Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 11:55 PM)
Cutler had like 3 picks called back thanks to their play.

At least 2 of those picks were probably completed passes without the penalty. The deep ball/Pass interference at the end wasn't a pick unless the Bears' receiver couldn't move. The pick over the middle was only a pick because Cutler had a helmet bounce off his in the middle of the throw; a legal hit and he completes that pass.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (zenryan @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 11:47 PM)
You cant blow it dead because its reviewable. The second forward lateral must have been really obvious.

It wasn't just that it was totally obvious...they also called it an "incomplete pass". I don't know if they can really do that, but if someone got hurt on that play they'd never hear the end of it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 07:36 AM)
At least 2 of those picks were probably completed passes without the penalty. The deep ball/Pass interference at the end wasn't a pick unless the Bears' receiver couldn't move. The pick over the middle was only a pick because Cutler had a helmet bounce off his in the middle of the throw; a legal hit and he completes that pass.

I was going to say that too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 07:36 AM)

That was a vicious hit. I would be shocked if that guy (Zambo?) doesn't get a very hefty fine for that hit.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 08:08 AM)
That was a vicious hit. I would be shocked if that guy (Zambo?) doesn't get a very hefty fine for that hit.

yeah, that was crown of the helmet up underneath Cutlers jawstrap. If he doesnt get fined I would be amazed. Cutler is a tough dude though, everyone talks about the hits he takes on a game by game basis, he just gets up and keeps going.

One thing that has been pretty understated(imo) about the game, the Bears contained Clay Matthews for pretty much the whole game. Shaffer was giving him fits, the MNF broadcast was showing him shutting Matthews down. He still made plays, but he wasnt the massive disruptive force that he was in the games vs Philly and Buffalo

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 10:31 PM)
I'd say your punter/coverage team is a lot more accountable for Chicago's success tonight.

Special teams coverage or special teams in general has been a continuous problem since McCarthy took over.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 10:31 PM)
I don't understand what Green Bay was challenging there.

Like someone else said, it was a prayer.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 27, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
Cannot wait until the Tampa 2 is out of Chicago. Watching QB after QB just tear this apart throwing into wide open spaces because we don't alter routes or bump off the line.

You realize we held a team to 17 points that was averaging over 30 for the last two seasons, right? And we only allowed 7 points in the 2nd half?

When you get pressure on the QB (and yes, the Bears had pressure, see all those holding and false start penalties), the Tampa 2 can work. We're 3-0 right now, so let's hope the trend continues!

After watching some highlights last night, the thing that bothered me the most was the breakdown it Jay's mechanics. He had gotten away from his fade-away passes the first couple games of the season but last night he was throwing fall aways with regularity. I hope Martz sits him down and beats proper mechanics into his head again. I know he was under pressure pretty much the entire game but he will have some of the same problems he did last year if he keeps doing that.

Don't worry, I still love you Jay.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 07:35 AM)
Yeah...it's hard to complain that the refs were somehow unfair when virtually all of the penalties were real. The closest thing to a phantom penalty the whole game that I saw was a holding call on Kreutz. Half those penalties you could see without the replay.

It is also hard to complain when your on the winning side, everything Green Bay was doing right was getting called back due to penalties. Not gonna argue that most of them weren't penalties, if I have beef with any of them it is the holding call on the Finley TD, NFL Network and ESPN this morning both said that was not a holding call but whatever.

I like this quote from the Packers board however, "It took 18 penalties, two interceptions negated by penalties, dropped interceptions from Nick Collins and Charles Woodson, a Jermichael Finley touchdown called back because of a penalty, a blocked field goal, a punt return for a touchdown and a late fumble that somehow stayed in bounds for the Bears to squeak by the Packers."

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 08:08 AM)

Believe it was Matthews who made that hit. Zambo had a really great preseason though, happy to see he got some playing time. I was content with how he played in the starting role, all 3 of our rookies who saw time on defense this year (Shields, Burnett & Zombo) have impressed me.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 08:41 AM)
please explain, I didn't catch B&B yesteday.

they declared hester was done as a return man and will never take it to the house again, and that he should focus only on his WR duties

My open response to Packer fans:

The Packers were the most penalized team in the league last year, and are off to an awesome start again this year. They take penalties instead of letting players on the other side beat them. That's part of their gameplan. You can't blame penalties on the loss, and you certainly can't say they would have won without them. The Bears would have completed those passes (save that last one) or gotten to the quarterback without the penalties.

When penalties are part of your gameplan, you cant use them as an excuse.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 08:50 AM)
My open response to Packer fans:

The Packers were the most penalized team in the league last year, and are off to an awesome start again this year. They take penalties instead of letting players on the other side beat them. That's part of their gameplan. You can't blame penalties on the loss, and you certainly can't say they would have won without them. The Bears would have completed those passes (save that last one) or gotten to the quarterback without the penalties.

When penalties are part of your gameplan, you cant use them as an excuse.

oh snap

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 08:46 AM)
they declared hester was done as a return man and will never take it to the house again, and that he should focus only on his WR duties

lol, that definitely sounds like a B&B thing to say. To be fair, I would have agreed with them yesterday. Now he should abandon his WR duties and focus solely on his KR duties.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 08:24 AM)
I'd say it didn't hurt to challenge that...except GB wound up really needing that time out.

Right, but also had we let you score we would have had about a minute thirty five and one timeout to get a TD. I'll never get what was going through McCarthy's mind when the Bears were on our goal line last night on the last drive of the game, I personally can't remember the last time we blocked a kick.

I miss Ryan Grant.

On my ride into work today, score callers were clamoring for a Harris for Haynesworth swap. The dude is a headcase but he probably has more left in the tank than Harris at this point and he already got his signing bonus money. . . might not be the worst idea.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 08:57 AM)
Right, but also had we let you score we would have had about a minute thirty five and one timeout to get a TD. I'll never get what was going through McCarthy's mind when the Bears were on our goal line last night on the last drive of the game, I personally can't remember the last time we blocked a kick.

I miss Ryan Grant.

I cant find the quote but he was absolutely counting on blocking the field goal. When it is from that close, I just dont understand that decision at all, the game winner was a 19 yard gimme

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 08:40 AM)
I like this quote from the Packers board however, "It took 18 penalties, two interceptions negated by penalties, dropped interceptions from Nick Collins and Charles Woodson, a Jermichael Finley touchdown called back because of a penalty, a blocked field goal, a punt return for a touchdown and a late fumble that somehow stayed in bounds for the Bears to squeak by the Packers."

That makes it sound like a blocked field goal by a 6'6" defensive end is a fluke. Like a punt return for TD by the best returner in NFL history is a fluke. Like the most penalized team in the NFL in 2009 committing penalties is fluke.

I can just as easily say "It took a dropped TD pass by Dez Clark, a missed field goal by the 3rd most accurate kicker in the NFL, and an awful roughing the passer penalty for the Bears to beat the Packers by only 3 points instead of 17."

One thing I have noticed is that Anderson is getting pressure again. He made a couple of sick swim moves last night and was very close to taking Rodgers down a few times. It was nice to see Melton getting some time and making an impression as well, Im not gonna hold that penalty against him because it looked like a great play to me. Toeina and Adams seem to be clogging up the middle pretty well