Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 06:53 AM)
Eh, I get it. "We're smarter than everyone else."

Well, your offense is going to take a s*** now, but enjoy 2012.

They crushed Miami with Moss making 0 receptions. Sure, the DB's still had to focus on Moss despite 0 catches, but I think New England's offense will do just fine. They have some nice TE's to go with Welker as well as some up and coming young wide-outs.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 10:03 AM)
They crushed Miami with Moss making 0 receptions. Sure, the DB's still had to focus on Moss despite 0 catches, but I think New England's offense will do just fine. They have some nice TE's to go with Welker as well as some up and coming young wide-outs.

The depth of the Pats roster speaks for itself year after year. I am sure they will be fine.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 10:03 AM)

The game isn't nearly as close if the Patriots are playing a team with anything resembling a decent special teams unit.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 10:36 AM)
The game isn't nearly as close if the Patriots are playing a team with anything resembling a decent special teams unit.

This doesnt matter, you could say the Bears game would be much closer if the Bears had anything resembling a decent offensive line. They didnt. And they lost. badly

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 12:25 PM)
It sucks the Bears have some really good players at a few positions because this team really needs to cut ties with Angelo and start trading for draft picks.

Trading players for draft picks? Do you really think that's a good team-building strategy? That's what a team like the Bills should be doing...they've been a disaster for a decade.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 11:29 AM)
Trading players for draft picks? Do you really think that's a good team-building strategy? That's what a team like the Bills should be doing...they've been a disaster for a decade.

I think the Bears needs to develop players at key positions and Angelo isnt the guy to do it. The Bears as they stand right now cannot win the Super Bowl. They have above avg and top notch players at a few positions with a great fall off in depth. I think there are some players you can unload when this season falls apart in about 4 games that can possibly net some real talent for the O-line and possibly the defense. We need to start building an offensive line from the draft, its clear the piece by piece strategy does not work.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 12:31 PM)
I think the Bears needs to develop players at key positions and Angelo isnt the guy to do it. The Bears as they stand right now cannot win the Super Bowl. They have above avg and top notch players at a few positions with a great fall off in depth. I think there are some players you can unload when this season falls apart in about 4 games that can possibly net some real talent for the O-line and possibly the defense. We need to start building an offensive line from the draft, its clear the piece by piece strategy does not work.

Obviously it's hard to disagree with you on the O-line draft issue.

Here's the first counterpoint though...if they trade off those above average players for draft picks, they're not getting high draft picks for them. You're not getting a first round pick for Peppers if you try to deal him right now, even though he's giving the team better than first round production. Ditto Urlacher. Probably ditto Cutler.

Draft picks are to the NFL what the Baseball America top 20 is to MLB; they're the guys that everyone wants but it's really hard to build a team solely based on stockpiling them, because they're always a few years away and they have a 50/50 bust rate.

Oh, and in 4 games if the Bears season is over, it's too late; the NFL trade deadline is the 19th. The worst the Bears can possibly be at the trade deadline is 3-3, and that's if they lose to both the Panthers and the Seahawks.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
The depth of the Pats roster speaks for itself year after year. I am sure they will be fine.

So sick of hearing this, the Patriots have a s***ty defense and their offense was lead by Moss/Welker both guys they traded for not drafted and Tom Brady who nobody could have predicted him being this good. Right now their head coach a supposedly defensive mastermind has one of the worse defenses in league and still people praising him like he is all that.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)
So sick of hearing this, the Patriots have a s***ty defense and their offense was lead by Moss/Welker both guys they traded for not drafted and Tom Brady who nobody could have predicted him being this good. Right now their head coach a supposedly defensive mastermind has one of the worse defenses in league and still people praising him like he is all that.

Just because people didn't realize Tom Brady wasn't going to be this good doesn't mean you can suddenly discredit the Patriots because of that...he is still f***ing good. They also had Matt Cassel put up a QB rating of almost 90 for them, and he was a 7th round pick. They brought in Moss and Welker because they knew they'd be good...who cares if they didn't draft and develop them? They also have Brandon Tate and Julian Edelman who they can go to in a pinch, Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski as tight ends (and Hernandez is more of a TE/WR hybrid), and BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Danny Woodhead, who have been pretty great for them.

Does it matter that they are run by a coach who used to be a defensive coordinator but have a young and inconsistent defense while having a monstrosity of an offense? I don't think it does. It's not like Belichick is completely guessing on the guys he brings in to lead his offenses and he's gotten lucky like 5 times. I would say after spending 40 years in the game, he knows what it takes to have a successful offense.

Edited by witesoxfan

Im saying Im sick of hearing oh they have the right idea with draft picks their team has so much depth when really thats not the case. The defense is horrible and Tate is a nice return man but outside of Welker their WR's arent good and their running game is avg. Pretty much its Tom Brady and an O-Line thats making the team tick.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)
Just because people didn't realize Tom Brady wasn't going to be this good doesn't mean you can suddenly discredit the Patriots because of that...he is still f***ing good. They also had Matt Cassel put up a QB rating of almost 90 for them, and he was a 7th round pick. They brought in Moss and Welker because they knew they'd be good...who cares if they didn't draft and develop them? They also have Brandon Tate and Julian Edelman who they can go to in a pinch, Aaron Hernandez and Rob Gronkowski as tight ends (and Hernandez is more of a TE/WR hybrid), and BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Danny Woodhead, who have been pretty great for them.

Does it matter that they are run by a coach who used to be a defensive coordinator but have a young and inconsistent defense while having a monstrosity of an offense? I don't think it does. It's not like Belichick is completely guessing on the guys he brings in to lead his offenses and he's gotten lucky like 5 times. I would say after spending 40 years in the game, he knows what it takes to have a successful offense.

Fackin' Danny Woodhead is a GAWD!

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
Im saying Im sick of hearing oh they have the right idea with draft picks their team has so much depth when really thats not the case. The defense is horrible and Tate is a nice return man but outside of Welker their WR's arent good and their running game is avg. Pretty much its Tom Brady and an O-Line thats making the team tick.

Thank you man

They get WAY too much credit.. for a team that seemingly has 10+ draft picks every year they have not done very much at all with them..

Miami put up 400 yards on them Monday in a 41-14 loss.. if their special teams didn't crap their pants, they would have won.. and Moss didn't have any catches because Vontae shut his ass down.. hes becoming one of the best in the league

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)
Eh, I get it. "We're smarter than everyone else."

Well, your offense is going to take a s*** now, but enjoy 2012.

And how much better would their offense be with Moss giving maybe 50% because hes upset they didn't give him a contract extension??? Pats saw the writing on the wall with a pouty Moss not trying at all and made a move while they still could.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)

This is an insanely uninformed post.

Sure, the Pats are deep. Sure, Brandon Tate is solid.

He's no f***ing Randy Moss.

Pre-Moss, the Patriots' defense was good enough that they were fine with the amount of points they put up. Moss changes a gameplan and how other teams defend. He draws consistent double-teams, allowing the "little engine that could" Welker to run free all the time. The Patriots have absolutely no running attack, and their offense is going to take a HUGE hit with Moss now gone. Their defense is nowhere near good enough to consider them legitimate contenders without Moss. They basically extended a middle-finger to their fans with this move, but no one is saying it yet. When they get bounced in the first round because they can't score, they'll realize that this third round pick was not worth trading the one guy other than Brady on your offense who can be considered a true difference maker.

This move was insanely dumb.

PS - And PUH LEEZE with the "no receptions on Monday night crap"! The Special Teams scored so many points that passing was moot.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 12:35 PM)

Pre-Moss, the Patriots' defense was good enough that they were fine with the amount of points they put up. Moss changes a gameplan and how other teams defend. He draws consistent double-teams, allowing the "little engine that could" Welker to run free all the time. The Patriots have absolutely no running attack, and their offense is going to take a HUGE hit with Moss now gone. Their defense is nowhere near good enough to consider them legitimate contenders without Moss. They basically extended a middle-finger to their fans with this move, but no one is saying it yet. When they get bounced in the first round because they can't score, they'll realize that this third round pick was not worth trading the one guy other than Brady on your offense who can be considered a true difference maker.

PS - And PUH LEEZE with the "no receptions on Monday night crap"! The Special Teams scored so many points that passing was moot.

Personally I don't think they are a super bowl team either way, but I think they decided they weren't going to put up with Moss not showing up so instead they got rid of him. They aren't a better team without him, but quite frankly, they aren't a good enough team right now either. There defense should improve as they have added a lot of young talent, but this is a team that is probably another year away (with a solid offseason and good player development) from being a true superbowl contender again.

Right now I think Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and the Jets are all much better teams in the AFC. In the NFC, I love the Packers, but Moss should really help Minny and Favre.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)

I think the entire idea here is that a pouting Randy Moss is truly next to worthless. The guy jakes it when he doesnt get paid, and he knew the Pats werent going to pay him after this season because that is how the Pats work. It was a lose lose situation for the Pats, they had to get something out of him and hope that Edelman, Tate and Welker, plus Hernandez and Gronkowski could pick up the slack.

Moss has been showing up for once all season. Is he secretly pouting that he isn't getting paid? It's possible. But at the same time, let's not make it seem like he isn't trying out there. You can say that about his other stops, but not in NE.

As far as the Pats, it's going to hurt them alot more than what people think. We'll see how good Welker is when dealing with double teams and the #1 corner zeroing in on him.

They have no running attack whatsoever. And their defense, especially their secondary, is not good enough to hang. They might miss the playoffs this year.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 6, 2010 -> 05:47 PM)
Moss has been showing up for once all season. Is he secretly pouting that he isn't getting paid? It's possible. But at the same time, let's not make it seem like he isn't trying out there. You can say that about his other stops, but not in NE.

As far as the Pats, it's going to hurt them alot more than what people think. We'll see how good Welker is when dealing with double teams and the #1 corner zeroing in on him.

They have no running attack whatsoever. And their defense, especially their secondary, is not good enough to hang. They might miss the playoffs this year.

Secretly??? Did you hear his press conference in week 1?