Dye says "crowded outfield" prolonged his slump

winninguglyin83

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 08:15 PM)
48561355.jpg

I've seen enough of this and turning singles into doubles, doubles into triples forever.

It had gotten to the point where any ball that wasn't a flyball to right field was a hit. It's going to be nice having someone with even a little bit of range out there this year.

If JD would improve his attitude and accept the fact that he could be quite useful as a DH, I'd welcome him back. But he seems bent on playing in the field. I don't know that he's going to get many offers.

His attitude isn't any different from most guys who have been as productive as long as he has. Lots of these guys are proud (cocky) and tend to make excuses for their decline in productivity. Nothing new there.

So what if he's whining. It just takes one team to pick him up.

He's not going to be highly paid, however. He's going to have to adjust to that fact mentally. It'd suck if the team that picks him up gets a less than stellar effort from JD just because he thinks he's underpaid.

I'd be surprised if he and Thome both don't wind up with some team. But it's interesting that nobody has gobbled them up yet.

I still say JD wasn't that disgraceful of an outfielder, but it sure took a long time to get those long legs moving sometimes.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)
i think it is safer to say he has no desire to be a dh

I was shot down herel last year when I mentioned that JD had a slump when he didn't have a contract for the following year. Last year, he knew he was going to be gone. After he received his contract the last time he started hitting like we knew he could. I like jd I still think he can play. He said in the article he could play first base or the outfield. He never played first even in spring training for as long as he had been with the sox.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 10:54 PM)
His attitude isn't any different from most guys who have been as productive as long as he has. Lots of these guys are proud (cocky) and tend to make excuses for their decline in productivity. Nothing new there.

So what if he's whining. It just takes one team to pick him up.

He's not going to be highly paid, however. He's going to have to adjust to that fact mentally. It'd suck if the team that picks him up gets a less than stellar effort from JD just because he thinks he's underpaid.

I'd be surprised if he and Thome both don't wind up with some team. But it's interesting that nobody has gobbled them up yet.

I still say JD wasn't that disgraceful of an outfielder, but it sure took a long time to get those long legs moving sometimes.

Thome already signed with the Twins.

And the #1 reason Dye isn't drawing much interest from teams is because he was an abomination of a fielder, if he were even mediocre out there he'd have a job right now. Unfortunately for him teams are starting to value defense and the word is out on JD.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 11:09 PM)
Thome already signed with the Twins.

And the #1 reason Dye isn't drawing much interest from teams is because he was an abomination of a fielder, if he were even mediocre out there he'd have a job right now. Unfortunately for him teams are starting to value defense and the word is out on JD.

Well not only that, but JD has long said he does not want to DH. IMO, he would have been signed with someone a long time ago if he didn't care about DH'ing. I would think he and his agent have told teams only sign him, if your giving him a position.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 03:08 AM)
I forgot about Thome to the Twins.

That is going to be so strange seeing him up there hacking for Minnie.

No stranger than Indians felt... although I highly doubt Sox fans would boo Thome like Indians fans still do

Per Rotoworld:

According to Chuck Garifen of Chicago's Comcast SportsNet, free agent outifelder Jermaine Dye told Frank Thomas he's considering retirement.

"That's what he told me and I told him he's crazy," Thomas said Friday. Dye has drawn very little interest on the open market this winter and is obviously frustrated. The 35-year-old hit 27 homers in 2009 and posted a .302/.375/.567 batting line over the first half of the 2009 season, but he stumbled to a .179/.293/.297 line over his final 212 at-bats. Feb. 12 - 2:47 pm et

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
Per Rotoworld:

According to Chuck Garifen of Chicago's Comcast SportsNet, free agent outifelder Jermaine Dye told Frank Thomas he's considering retirement.

"That's what he told me and I told him he's crazy," Thomas said Friday. Dye has drawn very little interest on the open market this winter and is obviously frustrated. The 35-year-old hit 27 homers in 2009 and posted a .302/.375/.567 batting line over the first half of the 2009 season, but he stumbled to a .179/.293/.297 line over his final 212 at-bats. Feb. 12 - 2:47 pm et

Didn't Damon say the same thing at one time?

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 03:06 PM)
Per Rotoworld:

The last act of a desperate man?

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
Dye is frustrated because he thinks he is a RF in this market... had he gone in more open-minded to the idea of being a DH he'd probably have a job by now.

exactly. You never know what may happen. Abreu signed on to DH with the Angels last year and wound up playing the field because of Vlads injury.