Dye says "crowded outfield" prolonged his slump

winninguglyin83

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 14, 2010 -> 01:49 AM)
That bridge could be rebuilt quickly, by him saying, "World Series MVP."

Like Frank, he'll always be a Sox.

But Frank played most of his career here. Jermaine's been here for 4 years, he spent more years with KC, Atlanta, and Oakland combined than here.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 14, 2010 -> 02:26 AM)
But Frank played most of his career here. Jermaine's been here for 4 years, he spent more years with KC, Atlanta, and Oakland combined than here.

And no one wore #35 since or ever will (as long as their not a future HOFer honoring their idol Frank Thomas), but #23, well, that wasn't gone long.

Big Hurt: Dye hurting, mulling retirement

CSNChicago.com reports: Former White Sox outfielder Jermaine Dye, who remains on the free-agent market after reportedly rejecting a $3.3 million offer from the Cubs, is contemplating retirement, according to newly retired Sox slugger Frank Thomas.

In an interview with Comcast SportsNet's Chuck Garfien, Thomas said Dye told him he is "pretty sad" and prepared to retire if he doesn't get an acceptable offer.

"I told him he was crazy," Thomas said. "He's 36 years old, but he's at peace. If he has to retire, he's going to retire, because he can't see himself going somewhere where he won't be happy and not get what he deserves."

linky

"I told him he was crazy," Thomas said. "He's 36 years old, but he's at peace. If he has to retire, he's going to retire, because he can't see himself going somewhere where he won't be happy and not get what he deserves."

It's a huge shot to the ego of some of these guys who aren't offered megabucks after a lousy couple of months.

Add that to the fact JD isn't much of a fielder anymore and you get this ... nobody wants him for more than a discount rate.

Will he sign for a million or 2 a year? Sounds like a team would be getting an unhappy camper at that discount rate.

He's an interesting case. Teams aren't going to pay JD more than Pods-type money it appears.

If Damon doesn't happen and JD is willing to look at things from a reasonable point of view (moneywise, positionwise) I don't see why he can't be brought in at the last minute yet. Let him knock himself out in the field every once in a while and devote the rest of the time to justifying the letter 'H' in "DH".

Teahen wearing 23 would end just as soon as the ink dried from Dye signing a 1 yr $Notalot contract with some incentives.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 01:51 AM)
If Damon doesn't happen and JD is willing to look at things from a reasonable point of view (moneywise, positionwise) I don't see why he can't be brought in at the last minute yet. Let him knock himself out in the field every once in a while and devote the rest of the time to justifying the letter 'H' in "DH".

Teahen wearing 23 would end just as soon as the ink dried from Dye signing a 1 yr $Notalot contract with some incentives.

Jesus, please, can we not create scenarios that involve Dye fielding.

I think about it like this -- if I was Dye, and I knew no one was willing to sign me under my terms, I'd simply accept the DH role and then complain later on when I'm on a hitting streak. Well, no better team for that to occur than the White Sox.

Move on from him. I'd rather have Jones and Kotsay and endure the embarrassment of their failures so we're forced into seeking better options.

Really, I'd be all for Dye; but I know full well you just can't go from campaigning tirelessly for a fielding position (with hilariously bad excuses) to suddenly going along with what everyone outside his agent is suggesting. He obviously has a part of him unwilling to accept his deficiencies in the field. Let him take a year off to think about it. Or go to another club where he hasn't been friends with the manager since 2005, and is at risk of finding himself in the field several days a week.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Part of me feels bad for JD. I'm sure he's quite frustrated right now and probably truly believes he can contribute as an outfielder somewhere. The fact is, however, the second half of last year pretty much showed the Sox and most other teams that's not the case.

I say only part of me feels bad because he could have recognized his declining ability to field and accepted the fact that he could be a valuable DH somewhere. I wouldn't discount the idea of the Sox wanting to sign him as the DH. Unless he changes his tune quickly, he'll either be out of work for 2010 or be riding the bench as a 4th OFer.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 11:51 PM)

He'd be worth a flyer at that price, but one has to wonder why he's apparently going to give up and retire so easily. Maybe he's been quietly battling nagging injuries over the past few years (it may explain the sudden drop-offs in production) and just doesn't feel it's worth fighting through the pain for Thome money?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 09:35 PM)
.261, 31 hr's 85 RBI's, right? Pretty damn nice, but James does tend to overproject.

Yep. But if James does overproject, then I'm even more depressed about our current DH situation.

Because his projections for Kotsay and Jones aren't too pretty.

Edited by scenario