Frank Thomas retires

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 09:34 PM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4907072

Reading the update on ESPN.com, there's speculation that #35 will officially be put on the outfield wall on August 2nd---which would mark the 20 year anniversary of his White Sox/MLB debut.

That'd be pretty cool too. Unless I'm mistaken or a coach has worn it, it seems as though 35 has been unofficially retired since he signed with Oakland.

Oh, and a tip of the hat to the Big Hurt. He had a hell of a career, and he accomplished pretty much everything a player can, except leading the league in home runs.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 10:34 PM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4907072

Reading the update on ESPN.com, there's speculation that #35 will officially be put on the outfield wall on August 2nd---which would mark the 20 year anniversary of his White Sox/MLB debut.

August 2nd is an off day, and the Sox are on the road thereafter until August 10th. August 1st is a Sunday home game against Oakland though. Seems like a pretty good fit for a retirement date. At any rate, it'd be cool if they announce the jersey retirement ceremony date tomorrow. I know I, as well as many other Sox fans, would love to be there for it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 06:56 PM)
Awwww mannnnn... :crying

This is the man who should have broken Aaron's record. NOT Baroid.

See you in Cooperstown, Big Hurt. :cheers

Ditto. (though Griffey Jr. should have broke it too) I'm still pissed that Giambi stole his MVP in 2000 more so. Imagine if Frank wasn't robbed from freak injuries. My lord his numbers would have been incredible. I'm glad he got his ring though. :) To the greatest right handed hitter Ted Williams has ever seen. :cheers :cheers :cheers

I'm already looking forward to my trip to Cooperstown in 2014.

Problem is . . . other players up for election in 2014: Maddux (lock), Glavine (lock), Kent (70/30 at 1st ballot) and Mussina (outside chance at the hall, next to no chance at 1st ballot induction).

Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Curt Schilling, Sammy Sosa and Kenny Lofton should be on their second go round after failing to be inducted in 2013. (Biggio and Piazza are near locks as first balloters in 2013)

Lucky for Big Frank there is no limit to the number of players that can be elected, however the BBWAA have their own bizarre unwritten rules and biases.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 11:56 PM)
I'm already looking forward to my trip to Cooperstown in 2014.

Problem is . . . other players up for election in 2014: Maddux (lock), Glavine (lock), Kent (70/30 at 1st ballot) and Mussina (outside chance at the hall, next to no chance at 1st ballot induction).

Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Curt Schilling, Sammy Sosa and Kenny Lofton should be on their second go round after failing to be inducted in 2013. (Biggio and Piazza are near locks as first balloters in 2013)

You think Biggio is a lock for the first ballot with Robbie getting snubbed this year?

But anyways, it's amazing to just look at some of the numbers this man put up in the 90's. You can only just say "Wow."

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 11:01 PM)
You think Biggio is a lock for the first ballot with Robbie getting snubbed this year?

But anyways, it's amazing to just look at some of the numbers this man put up in the 90's. You can only just say "Wow."

Robbie was snubbed for non-baseball related issues (John Hirschbeck, this is also why Kent only has a 70% shot at 1st ballot induction IMO, well that and his defensive inadequacies), Craig Biggio has one of the cleanest reputations of any player in the game's history, his numbers are more than hall worthy and there's never been an inkling of steroid abuse (this should easily put him over the hump while going up against some of the biggest roiders of all time, Biggio's induction would be a statement.)

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 11:08 PM)
We'll see in the next couple of years if Kent, Bagwell, Piazza, etc.. are on the report (as there have been rumors about them... though I still think Kent's clean, even though he's a complete douche.)

I don't think Bagwell's getting in, even though he's never been named it's widely accepted by baseball people that he was a user that's why you haven't heard his name in 4 years. He's up for election next year and I'd say he'll get less than 40% of the vote even with his incredibly gaudy numbers.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 12:05 AM)
Robbie was snubbed for non-baseball related issues (John Hirschbeck, this is also why Kent only has a 70% shot at 1st ballot induction IMO, well that and his defensive inadequacies), Craig Biggio has one of the cleanest reputations of any player in the game's history, his numbers are more than hall worthy and there's never been an inkling of steroid abuse (this should easily put him over the hump while going up against some of the biggest roiders of all time, Biggio's induction would be a statement.)

Fair enough. Just still bothers me that Robbie didn't get in.

I've never forgiven Mike Scioscia for adding steroid boy Jason Giambi instead of Frank to the American League team for the 2003 All Star game played at the Cell. To this day I despise the man and root against the Angels for that reason alone. He had the option of selecting either Frank or the cheater to appear in Frank's home park near the end of Frank's career and he picked the cheater because - get this - the cheater was a little better with the glove. As if either of them would play an important role in the game in the field. Frank had the opportunity to be honored in front of his home fans but that low life bum selected Giambi and left Frank off the roster.

In 1993, 1994, and 2000 he was a BEAST! His presence in 2005 IMO was a huge moral boost to our championship squad as well. He is by far the greatest Sox hitter of all time. I was at game 1 of the 2005 ALDS vs Boston and when he went out to throw the first pitch- it gave me goosebumps!

#35- best EVER!

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 06:55 AM)
In 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 and 2000, 2003, 2004, 2006 he was a BEAST! His presence in 2005 IMO was a huge moral boost to our championship squad as well. He is by far the greatest Sox hitter of all time. I was at game 1 of the 2005 ALDS vs Boston and when he went out to throw the first pitch- it gave me goosebumps!

#35- best EVER!

Fixed.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 07:19 PM)
Thank you, Frank, for being the premier "stop and watch" player in all of baseball in the early 90's.

Thank you, Frank, for the boost you provided to the Sox in the middle of 2005.

Thank you, Frank, for being so vocal against PED's when no one else was.

Enjoy your induction into the Hall Of Fame!

Good Ol' #35

:headbang :notworthy :headbang

I was going to type out a post for this, but you pretty much said it perfectly.

+1, and hopefully a first ballot entry.