Frank Thomas retires

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 09:30 AM)
Only idiot Cub fans would debate that Ryne Sandberg > Frank Thomas.

Idiots.

Real cub fans will tell you that Frank Thomas was worse to them than the Sox winning in 2005. In the early 90's the White Sox were as good as any team in baseball and Frank Thomas was as good as any RH hitter ever. You need to also remember that Wrigleyville was a s*** hole and the the Sox and cubs were on even footing. Sammy Sosa was the answer to this and thank god for steroids.

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Feb 11, 2010 -> 10:34 PM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=4907072

Reading the update on ESPN.com, there's speculation that #35 will officially be put on the outfield wall on August 2nd---which would mark the 20 year anniversary of his White Sox/MLB debut.

They were going to retire Frank's number. But Omar Vizquel expressed interest in wearing #35 this season.

I truly hope the baseball writers honor his clean career and vote him in on the first ballot. Yes, he was a a s***ty interview a lot of times, which some of these guys may hold against him, but he was actually loyal to the Sox.

And my favorite memories are bars going quiet while Frank was at the plate. Didn't matter the score, the inning, or if anyone was on base. You stfu and watched.

i haven't written anything because what is there to say? he's the reason i'm a sox fan and the reason i'm a baseball fan. i've got his picture on the wall and a couple little statue guys on my dresser. just watching all the love for the big man on espn and in articles is pretty great - and you can bet your ass i'll be there august 29th.

He's the reason I became a Sox fan in the early 90's and why I still follow them today. When I think about him I'll always have fond memories of my childhood, growing up watching the BIG HURT kill the ball and intimidate opponents. He's my all time and will always be my all time favorite player.

Verducci with an article loaded with cool anecdotes.

Frank Thomas can be proud of his 19-year career and let sleep come easily at night. The White Sox will retire his number 35 (joining the Padres' Randy Jones and the Braves' Phil Niekro as the only retired 35s) and someday erect a statue of him at U.S. Cellular Field. And when fans see his likeness they will be able to say, "That's the best player in the history of the White Sox." That alone is a fabulous legacy. That Thomas also spoke up for a clean game also is worth remembering.

Rank Player (2009 HRs) HR

1 Barry Bonds 762 - PEDs

2 Hank Aaron 755

3 Babe Ruth 714

4 Willie Mays 660

5 Ken Griffey, Jr. (19) 630 - White Sox

6 Sammy Sosa 609 - PEDs

7 Frank Robinson 586

8 Mark McGwire 583 - PEDs

Alex Rodriguez (30) 583 - PEDs

10 Harmon Killebrew 573

11 Rafael Palmeiro 569 - PEDs

12 Jim Thome (23) 564 - White Sox

13 Reggie Jackson 563

14 Mike Schmidt 548

15 Manny Ramírez (19) 546 - PEDs

16 Mickey Mantle 536

17 Jimmie Foxx 534

18 Willie McCovey 521

Frank Thomas 521 - White Sox

Ted Williams 521

Pretty cool to say three of the top 12 assumed clean home run hitters of all time spent time on the Sox over the last decade.