Oh Bratwurst, Where art Thou?

SouthsideDon48

The hamburger thread made me think of this one.

I love bratwurst, it's something I would eat everyday if I could, but if I wanted to get a bratwurst without having to make it myself, where can I get one in the south suburbs???

It seems like most places only carry polish sausage, which is something I don't care for, and it's nothing like bratwurst. It also seems like places that serve bratwurst only serves it as a weekly special or the place is a gas station such as Jewel's gas stations.

Why is bratwurst so hard to find in the south suburbs? I even went to some breweries, and none of them served bratwurst. Why does it seem like bratwurst is some kind of mythical and unattainable food?

So yea,... where can someone go to get bratwurst in the south suburbs?

Brewpubs and brats sure do seem like a likely pairing. . . and indeed they were back in the day. Back when the Weinkeller was still open in Berwyn, you had a turnkey destination for authentic German weissbiers, bocks, alts, and outstanding brats, weissworst, and tons of other great food. At it's best, the brewery operations were lauded enough that Seibel Institute was just as happy having students intern there a they were sending them off to Weihenstephan.

Fire force a closure some time in the 90s and I've dearly missed the place ever since.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 07:06 AM)
Brewpubs and brats sure do seem like a likely pairing. . . and indeed they were back in the day. Back when the Weinkeller was still open in Berwyn, you had a turnkey destination for authentic German weissbiers, bocks, alts, and outstanding brats, weissworst, and tons of other great food. At it's best, the breery operations were lauded enough that Seibel Institute was just as happy having students intern there a they were sending them off to Weihenstephan.

Fire force a closure some time in the 90s and I've dearly missed the place ever since.

Wow. I'm sorry to have missed out on that.

By the way, polish sausage is awesome. Obviously I'm contributing nothing to this thread.