White Sox to Retire #35

Steve9347

February 12, 2010

Frank Thoms

WHITE SOX TO RETIRE UNIFORM NO. 35 IN HONOR OF FRANK THOMAS; ANNOUNCE ‘FRANK THOMAS DAY’ WILL BE CELEBRATED AUGUST 29

Frank Thomas, two-time Most Valuable Player with the Chicago White Sox and one of baseball’s greatest offensive players during his playing career, will be honored by the franchise by having his uniform No. 35 retired during an on-field ceremony on “Frank Thomas Day,” August 29, when the White Sox take on the New York Yankees (1:05 p.m.).

The announcement by the White Sox comes one day after Thomas announced his retirement at Thursday night’s annual Comcast SportsNet Awards dinner to benefit March of Dimes. Thomas, who received the Lifetime Achievement Award at the fundraising event, meets with the Chicago media Friday morning at U.S. Cellular Field.

“I am officially retired. It’s time. It’s in my heart and it’s time to move on,” Thomas told Comcast SportsNet Thursday night. “I’m proud to say I’m ready to retire. I enjoyed a wonderful career and have nothing left to prove. It’s a young man’s game now.”

Thomas’ No. 35 becomes the 10th uniform number to be retired by the White Sox, joining No. 2 (Nellie Fox), No. 3 (Harold Baines), No. 4 (Luke Appling), No. 9 (Minnie Minoso), No. 11 (Luis Aparicio, currently un-retired for the 2010 season), No. 16 (Ted Lyons), No. 19 (Billy Pierce), No. 42 (Jackie Robinson) and No. 72 (Carlton Fisk).

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 11:39 AM)
So they will honor Frank Thomas on a day when a decent percentage of folks will be cheering for the other team....

Why not do this to sell tickets to a game against a s***ty team?

I agree, it sucks that it's against the Yankees, especially because it jacks the price of the tickets up. But I just couldnt pass up missing this, and I just purchased a few tickets. Can't wait!

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 11:39 AM)
So they will honor Frank Thomas on a day when a decent percentage of folks will be cheering for the other team....

It's not like Yankee fans will be booing this.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 12:39 PM)

They want to make sure the building is absolutely full for this ceremony I'd assume, and I can't blame them (although I think it'd sell out even if the ceremony were held on a Wednesday against the Orioles or something, but I can see why they did it this way).

I live in Europe and am thinking about flying back for this. He truly was, for a few years, one of the best hitters of all time IMO. He would RARELY swing at a pitch outside the strike zone (except against Jeff Nelson) and would seemingly hit every ball hard. Such a joy to watch for most of the 90's...

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 12, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
I was hoping for an Emmit Smith kind of one day symbolic signing. The greatest batter I've watched.

1. They'd have to clear a spot on the 40 man roster since a minor league contract really wouldn't count

2. Since anyone on the 40 man roster is considered "active" in the offseason I do believe signing him would push back his possible enshrinement date by 2 years. It really wouldn't be worth it.

I was really bummed because I was already going to the game on the 28th with two friends, one another diehard Sox fan and another a diehard Yankees fan. But the more I thought about it, the more special it seemed, and I talked to my dad and he thought we should definitely go. Got UD box seats for section 527! He also said he really wants to drive out to Cooperstown again (we went there as a family in '99) when he gets in.