Overview on Neal Cotts

Cerbaho-WG

BA rated him 14th best prospect in A's organization.

Drafted 2nd round in 2001 draft, out of ISU.

Relies on wicked movement, rather than velocity. Throws high 80's fastball, along with curve, and a changeup.

His stats this year are very impressive:

137 2/3 IP 187 SO 89 BB 4.13 ERA

something dont smell right here...teams dont spend a 2nd round pick on a guy that cant break 90...plus guys that cant break 90 do not strike out 1.4 batters per IP no matter what league they are in...something aint right here..i dont think that scouting report is accurate..it could be mixed up with soeone else..its happened before...

Originally posted by baggio202

something dont smell right here...teams dont spend a 2nd round pick on a guy that cant break 90...plus guys that cant break 90 do not strike out 1.4 batters per IP no matter what league they are in...something aint right here..i dont think that scouting report is accurate..it could be mixed up with soeone else..its happened before...

From what I've heard he throws 91 with very good movement on his pitches.

He's got amazing k totals for a guy with a low 90's fastball. I think he's kind of like a Kirk Saaraloos(Went to Cal State Fullerton and shot through the ranks in the Astros system) He struggled at first, then really caught fire helping the Astros make a push.

Good move if you ask me. Hey, since Beane is so great he wouldn't of been stupid enough to take a terrible player with a 2nd round pick . ;)

wait a minute baggs, but he was drafted by the A's and the great GM Billy Beane. of course he can strike out that many lol

I had to say that

but really, you don't have to throw 90 to be a good pitcher and you don't have to throw 90 to strike guys out. just like you don't have to throw 90 to break bats (see Jamie Moyer).

Neal Cotts not only was able to get an impressive number of strikeouts while pitching in the A's minors, but he was also the same way for my beloved Illinois State Redbirds when he pitched here from 1999-2001. I know what he has to offer, because I have seen him pitch. Look for an article to be up on the main page sometime soon.