Kevin Smith

The Critic

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 15, 2010 -> 08:52 AM)
Smith said another person was chastised for not buying an additional seat as well. Quite a difficult policy for SW to enforce without ruffling a lot of feathers

Since when does an airline care about ruffling feathers? (Literally or figuratively).

They shouldn't have allowed him to buy a single seat for the standby if he had two seats for his original flight, then.

They were talking about this on the radio this morning, and the hosts were (half-)joking that what they'll have to do eventually is have a "test seat" in the ticketing area that us fatties will have to sit in and lower the armrests. No fit, no fly!

QUOTE (The Critic @ Feb 15, 2010 -> 07:58 AM)
They shouldn't have allowed him to buy a single seat for the standby if he had two seats for his original flight, then.

They were talking about this on the radio this morning, and the hosts were (half-)joking that what they'll have to do eventually is have a "test seat" in the ticketing area that us fatties will have to sit in and lower the armrests. No fit, no fly!

sounds good to me.

What's The Worst Part About Kevin Smith vs. Southwest Airlines?

Choose Your Outrage!

Over the weekend, Kevin Smith, of Clerks, Mallrats, and being Kevin Smith fame, was kicked off of a Southwest Airlines flight for being too fat to "comfortably lower the armrest." Naturally, Smith started twittering his outrage at Southwest Airlines, because what is Twitter for except the public airing of air-travel-related grievances? Southwest apologized to Smith, gave him a $100 voucher, and re-booked him on another flight—but they also noted that Kevin Smith usually buys two seats when flying on Southwest, and on the flight in question he was flying stand-by and there was only one seat available. Southwest says they removed him "for the safety and comfort of all customers." Kevin Smith says, he passed "the armrest test,"and "@SouthwestAir, go f*** yourself," amongst other things.

Choose Your Outrage!

The worst part about this is:

a. That it involves Southwest Airlines.

b. That it involves Kevin Smith.

c. That it forces you to imagine sitting in a cramped Southwest Airlines seat next to Kevin Smith for the entirety of a long Southwest Airlines flight.

d. That it forces you to imagine being on a Southwest Airlines flight at all.

e. That anyone would actually expect a good flying experience from an airline that doesn't even bother to assign seats to its passengers, instead opting for an "Okay, on the count of three, everyone panic and run to get in line for seats...1...2...3!" policy.

f. This line from a People article about the incident, "'I know I'm fat,' Smith confesses." (Oh, well now that he's "confessed," what is his penance?)

g. Kevin Smith's insistence that this isn't just a giant hissy fit made public...it could happen to you! ("Wanna tell me I'm too wide for the sky? Totally cool. But fair warning, folks: IF YOU LOOK LIKE ME, YOU MAY BE EJECTED FROM @SOUTHWESTAIR.") But only if you also are in the habit of both flying Southwest and buying two seats when you fly Southwest.

h. That because of this story, you learned (via a pop-up ad) that Jason Alexander is now a Jenny Craig spokesperson.

george_tiff_300x1000_q85.jpg

i. All of the above.

LINK

That anyone would actually expect a good flying experience from an airline that doesn't even bother to assign seats to its passengers, instead opting for an "Okay, on the count of three, everyone panic and run to get in line for seats...1...2...3!" policy.

Actually, there's legitimate science behind this...if you model the traffic/people flow patterns, this legitimately winds up being the fastest way to board a plane.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2010 -> 12:04 PM)
Actually, there's legitimate science behind this...if you model the traffic/people flow patterns, this legitimately winds up being the fastest way to board a plane.

I'd rather wait an additional 2 minutes to get on a plane then be treated like I'm in a 3rd world country.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)

I actually prefer being able to sit wherever I want.

The first couple times I ever flew a plane, I flew Southwest and I was able to sit in any seat I wanted, so my friends and I sat together, and everything was comfortable.

However, the first time I flew a plane alone, which was last summer, I flew Delta. I didn't know I was assigned a seat on my ticket with Delta because I was very used to being able to sit wherever I wanted with Southwest.

Anyway, on my flight on Delta to NYC, I was on a flight that didn't have many passengers, so I unknowingly sat on a seat that was unassigned to me and the flight attendants didn't care and didn't fuss about it. But on my return flight to Chicago, it was jam-packed and still being unaware of the whole "assigned seats" thing, I sat on the first empty row by myself because I didn't want to sit next to strangers. Well, some people who boarded the plane late made a big deal because apparently I was sitting on their seat, and I had to move to the seat I was assigned to. So for a 3 hour flight I was stuck sitting next to this strange weird guy in his 40's wearing really short 1970's shorts and I felt uncomfortable the whole time.

With how Delta assigns seats, I don't even know how friends can sit next to each other if they book their plane tickets separately. If 3 friends book separate tickets on the same flight on Delta, they can all be sitting in 3 different parts of the plane, and that sucks.

So, if I can ever help it, I will try not to fly Delta again and try my best to always fly with Southwest because I like the freedom of being able to choose to sit whereever I want want on Southwest instead of having to follow rigid assigned seating ruled with Delta and other airlines.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 15, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
I'd rather wait an additional 2 minutes to get on a plane then be treated like I'm in a 3rd world country.

I actually felt like I was treated better by the flight attendants on all my flights with Southwest than my experience with Delta.

I experience very bad ear problems when I fly where my left ear never pop and it sometimes gives me very badheadaches or makes me dizzy, and the flight attendants I had with Southwest were very hospitable and caring towards me and checked on me a few times to see if I was okay. One even slipped me a full can of soda and extra peanuts to help with my discomfort.

However, on Delta, the flight attendants didn't really care and never checked up on my well-being when I brought it to their attention that I was experiencing the same dizziness discomforts.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 15, 2010 -> 12:28 PM)
When you become a frequent traveler your views will change immensely.

For a few years I was on a flight every Tuesday and back home on Friday. I also flew Southwest a ton of times and liked the experience. They had the only window seat I liked. (I am always an aisle guy). The first foreward facing row offered a ledge against the side where I could prop up my foot. Because the first row faced backwards, it filled up last and many times no one sat across from me. I appreciated their flight attendants and staff. I would say overall they were my favorite with Continental a close second.

And Rex is so right. Having someone ooze into your seat just sucks. I travelled a few times with a coworker that as soon as the safety talk was done would request the seat belt extender that the fligth attendants hold up to demo how to buckle and unbuckle. I would always pray we had adjoining aisle seats.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 15, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)
When you become a frequent traveler your views will change immensely.

When I was in college, I flew back and forth about 8-10 times a year. I always liked Southwest more than the others.

I had a similar story with Delta because I didn't know they assigned seats. The seat I chose just happened to belong to this hippie-looking, scrawny wiener kid. Instead of pointing out to me that I was in his seat, or even politely asking me to move, he went right to a flight attendant and had them come over to kick me out. When I was moving I pointed out that I was unaware the seats were assigned, he muttered a smart ass comment. Every time I think of it, I wish I could run into that bastard again.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2010 -> 12:04 PM)

I prefer it to regular plane boarding.

I don't get why Southwest gets a bad rap. I don't see the need to pay significantly more for marginially better to worse service for the big carriers.