Kevin Smith

The Critic

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
Interesting, so if no one checks in, they would have empty seats?

In theory, yes. But those seats always seem to be taken by people choosing to pay a few extra bucks at check-in for the better seats or standby passengers for other flights.

Edited by BigSqwert

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 09:46 AM)
That's part of the problem for me. Why do I want to waste an extra 2 hours of my life at an airport if I don't have to? With United I can show up just as they're boarding and still get a great seat that I selected 2 weeks earlier. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather have a little extra time to spend at home with my wife and dogs then to stand around at an airport terminal.

What about online check-in?

QUOTE (The Critic @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 08:31 PM)
He's been desperate for a mainstream hit and his movies get progressively worse as a result.

I think Smith a terrific writer, but as a director, he is below average. Always has been.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 07:42 PM)
You can bypass the entire line for SW by checking in online? Wouldn't everyone just do that?

That never seems to work for me, I don't know why. I fly Southwest a lot because I live 10 minutes from BWI and go to Midway a lot (3-5 times a year I'm guessing, not counting business), and they're both major Southwest hubs, so I like the schedule. I don't really think they have bad service at all and I don't know why they have that reputation, however, I think the open seating thing is pretty overrated. I show up usually an hour before my flight leaves, and I don't see the point in showing up earlier than that and why people do it is beyond me. I have better things to do than sit in the airport for 2-3 hours. I'm always in Group C unless I have my kid with me. I've been in Group A I think one time, and I checked in early on my phone once and got Group B.

Also, when I fly, why is it that I always sit next to some old white guy in his 50s, or some homely overweight woman? I might've been lucky enough to sit next to a young, attractive-ish woman one time in all the times I've flown, or at least it seems like it... but I know they are on the plane, I see them when I'm boarding!

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 07:39 AM)
Yeah, you can check in online at (I think) 12 a.m. on the day of your flight. I haven't flown in a year, though, so it may have changed.

Ah ok. But I still haven't heard any reasons why their system is better for a frequent business traveler.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 04:51 PM)
In theory, yes. But those seats always seem to be taken by people choosing to pay a few extra bucks at check-in for the better seats or standby passengers for other flights.

But then the seats they switched from would be empty. Continental and American will sell out their flights as soon as possible, never holding any seats back. That's kind of cool of Delta.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 07:41 AM)
Ah ok. But I still haven't heard any reasons why their system is better for a frequent business traveler.

As I mentioned, for short notice travel, I wasn't stuck with a center seat. I wasn't aware of an airline that held back seats like you mentioned. That is a better system no doubt. But the carriers that I routinely traveled, Continental and American, do not do that.

SW attendants are the best of any airline I've flown. SW's safety record is the best in the industry.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 08:33 AM)
As I mentioned, for short notice travel, I wasn't stuck with a center seat. I wasn't aware of an airline that held back seats like you mentioned. That is a better system no doubt. But the carriers that I routinely traveled, Continental and American, do not do that.

SW attendants are the best of any airline I've flown. SW's safety record is the best in the industry.

American and United definitely both do that. I know because I had status with both, when I was travelling almost every week at my last job.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)
American and United definitely both do that. I know because I had status with both, when I was travelling almost every week at my last job.

Is that new? I always had gold status with Continental and I do not remember that. The last time I flew weekly was around 2002.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 08:56 AM)
Is that new? I always had gold status with Continental and I do not remember that. The last time I flew weekly was around 2002.

I said American and United. I don't know about Continental.

AA and UAL were both doing that when I was flying a lot, in the 2007-2009 period.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 08:57 AM)
I said American and United. I don't know about Continental.

AA and UAL were both doing that when I was flying a lot, in the 2007-2009 period.

Sorry, I misread. American flew to Dallas from here, Continental hubbed from Houston, so I usually went via Continental since I was almost always flying east. Y'all in Chicago, or living near a hub, are so lucky. Every flight for me required 2 hours and $100 - $200 just to leave McAllen.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
I just checked in with Southwest (literally just, on my way to the airport, and I get a security document and not a boarding pass. So wtf. I'll be in Group C again.

I had you put on the no fly list. Just wait until you get the full body cavity search.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
I just checked in with Southwest (literally just, on my way to the airport, and I get a security document and not a boarding pass. So wtf. I'll be in Group C again.

F**k. Group. C.