What are our realistic chances to land Damon?

sin city sox fan

Johnny Damon.....is he coming to the South Side?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Whats our realistic chances?

• 0%
    • 20%
    • 40%
    • 60%
    • 80%
    • 100%

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 05:24 AM)
f*** golf. Golf is stupid and it's not going to help anyway. The Sox shouldn't be wooing Damon, they should be wooing Damon's wife. Get one of Jerry's daughters to take the lady shopping. Get her a massage. Get her nails done. She's the one with the power here. Buy her a f***ing puppy if you have to. Just get this s*** done.

Shopping. Massages. Nails. Puppies. You sure do know women. Or at least the Super Bowl commercial image of them.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 10:34 PM)
Shopping. Massages. Nails. Puppies. You sure do know women. Or at least the Super Bowl commercial image of them.

And somehow I doubt a woman who uses words like "cosmopolitan" to describe ideal living situations drives a truck for a living. Just a guess, but I imagine she's used to being pampered and as a result doesn't exactly jump for joy at the thought of sleeping in a cardboard box somewhere in West Baghdad. But what do I know, maybe a better approach to luring Damon here would involve offering his wife a can of Skoal and a couple tickets to NASCAR? I'm just trying to help, that's all.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
Well, you'd likely still have to pay them, which would completely defeat the purpose of getting rid of them so you can create salary room. If no other team wants to pick them up off waivers, then the Sox would end up being responsible for their contracts. You can't just release a player or outright a guy without having to pay him. Again, unless somebody else wants to pick them up.

I highly doubt the sox would whine about releasing 500K of Andruw Jones if it comes to that.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)
And somehow I doubt a woman who uses words like "cosmopolitan" to describe ideal living situations drives a truck for a living. Just a guess, but I imagine she's used to being pampered and as a result doesn't exactly jump for joy at the thought of sleeping in a cardboard box somewhere in West Baghdad.

Well just by looking at her... I'd pamper her myself.. :wub: She can continue the "hot wives club" we usually get every year with sox players (Lisa Dergan-Podsednik, Jaime Kotsay, Michelle Damon hopefully)

And I would say 40% as well.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 10:28 PM)
And Damon will also be one year older and one year closer to retirement. And if Damon has a down year in '10 then he'll be where Dye and Thome are this offseason. If Detroit has 2/$14M on the table then Damon would be a fool to pass that up. I hope that offer isn't true.

if detroit has a 2/14M on the table he'd have been signed yesterday.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 01:11 AM)
I don't think we're getting Damon and frankly I don't really want him.

If our team can't hit, maybe they'll make some other move during the season.

Having Damon for a whole year brings about as much value (probably a bit more actually) as having Adrian Gonzalez for 2 months this season.

Plus, you're not giving up any of your prospects.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)
i disagree. Damon goes to LF, Pierre goes to the bench

Pierre is superior defensively to Damon. I'm sure that Damon would get some time in LF, but he'd be relegated to DH for most of the time.

and you DFA Kotsay or Jones.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 16, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
I highly doubt the sox would whine about releasing 500K of Andruw Jones if it comes to that.

Agreed with this. If the Sox sign Damon, they could only realistically carry 11 pitchers on the 25-man roster. Jones is probably the odd man out in that case (I'd keep Kotsay, since he can actually still play defense somewhat).

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)
Pierre is superior defensively to Damon. I'm sure that Damon would get some time in LF, but he'd be relegated to DH for most of the time.

Agreed with this. If the Sox sign Damon, they could only realistically carry 11 pitchers on the 25-man roster. Jones is probably the odd man out in that case (I'd keep Kotsay, since he can actually still play defense somewhat).

Um...? From everything I've read and seen, it's Jones that can still play a bit of defense and Kotsay is rather terrible defensively now a days. Kotsay can play a good 1B and that's about it.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 11:27 AM)

I was thinking about this. I would much rather have Jayson Nix on the bench than Jones. I think you need two infielders on the bench...Vizquel and Nix. Plus Nix can probably run better than Jones, and he can also be put in the outfield in a pinch. So if the Sox do sign Damon, I might hold on to Jones until the end of spring training, but I wouldn't be against just dumping him. And as far as the bullpen, they'll carry seven no matter what. I have no doubt about that.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:41 PM)
I was thinking about this. I would much rather have Jayson Nix on the bench than Jones. I think you need two infielders on the bench...Vizquel and Nix. Plus Nix can probably run better than Jones, and he can also be put in the outfield in a pinch. So if the Sox do sign Damon, I might hold on to Jones until the end of spring training, but I wouldn't be against just dumping him. And as far as the bullpen, they'll carry seven no matter what. I have no doubt about that.

I think the fact that Jones is a RF hitter and Damon and Pierre are LH hitters makes a strong case for keeping Jones. If you sign another LH OF to mainly fill the DH spot, and you also want to keep Kotsay because it's somewhat useful to have a backup 1b so that Konerko can rest or DH once a week as well, then really, the answer is 11 pitchers.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)
Um...? From everything I've read and seen, it's Jones that can still play a bit of defense and Kotsay is rather terrible defensively now a days. Kotsay can play a good 1B and that's about it.

It's more of a question of durability than ability. Jones can't stay healthy, so he's not going to play OF more than part-time. If Kenny had any faith in Jones' ability, he never would've taken on Pierre's salary. Kotsay could play one of the corner OF positions well enough to occasionally spell Pierre or Quentin. Ability-wise, Jones is better but, again, he can't stay healthy. Dude hasn't posted a respectable OBP since 2006, either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 09:45 AM)
I think the fact that Jones is a RF hitter and Damon and Pierre are LH hitters makes a strong case for keeping Jones. If you sign another LH OF to mainly fill the DH spot, and you also want to keep Kotsay because it's somewhat useful to have a backup 1b so that Konerko can rest or DH once a week as well, then really, the answer is 11 pitchers.

If Kenny feels comfortable going that route, it's a possibility. Then again, it's also possible that Jones gets DFA'd in June and we got back to a 12-man pitching staff by default (unless Q goes down again, in which case we'll need another RF).

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:50 PM)
If Kenny feels comfortable going that route, it's a possibility. Then again, it's also possible that Jones gets DFA'd in June and we got back to a 12-man pitching staff by default (unless Q goes down again, in which case we'll need another RF).

I can't see this team going with Damon and Kotsay as its only backup OF's. Not if they care about defense at all. Not with how Ozzie likes using righty/lefty matchups, not with Quentin's injury history and Rios's struggles.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
I can't see this team going with Damon and Kotsay as its only backup OF's. Not if they care about defense at all. Not with how Ozzie likes using righty/lefty matchups, not with Quentin's injury history and Rios's struggles.

Given the people that Ozzie has played in CF over the past few years, I can definitely see him not caring about defense. Quentin's injury history is probably the best argument for keeping Jones on the roster. Even if Rios continues to struggle, his defensive skills and contract pretty much mandate that he'll play regularly.

With the current rotation and the veteran bullpen, the Sox could probably get away with 11 pitchers on the 25-man roster. On, say, the 2007 squad, there would be no way.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)

Damon will be the DH

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
I bet that they'll platoon Damon and Pierre between LF and DH.

Agreed that Damon would play a decent amount of LF. Being able to occasionally use Pierre off the bench as a pinch runner late in games is a plus.

I just wonder if we aren't putting too much value on Damon?

I kind of agree with this. I'm thinking because of his track record, however, I'll have a lot more patience with him during slumps than, say, an Erstad.

Johnny is a stud, but so at one point was Dye, Thome, Pods, etc.