Afghanistan.

Rex Kickass

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
Yes, the neutral Afghanis might think negatively about this, but I don't see how suddenly they're going to ASSIST the Taliban because of it.

You keep ignoring key points for some reason.

They may not ASSIST the US MILITARY because of it. Which, you know, is pretty f***ing important to gathering intelligence.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
LOL. "I've created a hypothetical to prove my point. You haven't. I WIN!"

Come on man.

No, you haven't done s*** to support your argument other than to assert it repeatedly. The claim that "video of offensive acts performed by US soldiers in Afghanistan will not have any noticeable impact on support of US soldiers in Afghanistan" is pretty extraordinary.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:26 PM)
No, you haven't done s*** to support your argument other than to assert it repeatedly. The claim that "video of offensive acts performed by US soldiers in Afghanistan will not have any noticeable impact on support of US soldiers in Afghanistan" is pretty extraordinary.

And you've done even less to support yours.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)
You keep ignoring key points for some reason.

They may not ASSIST the US MILITARY because of it. Which, you know, is pretty f***ing important to gathering intelligence.

Had no idea you knew such ins and outs of information gathering in the field, Colonel SS.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)
You ARE arguing something really, really dumb like that.

You just did it AGAIN.

You are saying, it's fine that they blow up my countrymen into little bits of meat...but DAMN THEM TO HELLLLL FOR PISSING ON THEIR BLOWN TO BITS CORPSES!@#$!@#!#$@! BECAUSE OF THAT DAMN THE PAST, I'M JOINING THE TALIBAN!@#$@!@#$!

That's the argument you continue to make.

And it's really, really dumb.

Nah, it's pretty clearly not the argument I'm making. It's the dumb strawman you and jenks keep throwing up. I've stated directly that my contention is that it will lessen support for the US military, not instantly create Taliban warriors. That is an argument of your own creation.

I'd hate to be making the ridiculous-on-its-face argument that actions by foreign military personnel have zero impact on the level of local support they receive. Man, I'd sure look silly then.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)
Nah, it's pretty clearly not the argument I'm making. It's the dumb strawman you and jenks keep throwing up. I've stated directly that my contention is that it will lessen support for the US military, not instantly create Taliban warriors. That is an argument of your own creation.

I'd hate to be making the ridiculous-on-its-face argument that actions by foreign military personnel have zero impact on the level of local support they receive. Man, I'd sure look silly then.

Too bad I already fixed my post to reflect that, and it's just as much of stretch.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:31 PM)
"local people know s***" isn't an advanced concept.

Because you missed it.

You are saying, it's fine that they blow up my countrymen into little bits of meat...but DAMN THEM TO HELLLLL FOR PISSING ON THEIR BLOWN TO BITS CORPSES!@#$!@#!#$@! BECAUSE OF THAT DAMN THE PAST, I'M JOINING THE TALIBAN, OR FORGET IT...I'M NO LONGER HELPING THE REST OF THE US MILITARY THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS INCIDENT!@#$!@

Change reflects the continue absurdity of your unprovable point.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:31 PM)
"local people know s***" isn't an advanced concept.

And it has nothing to do with who they'd gather information from.

You don't just walk down the street General SS, and ask randoms for such information. Those that they have gathering this information for them aren't going to be swayed by such an incident...and it's beyond a stretch for you to suggest they would be.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)
No, all you did was reassert your argument. You haven't really addressed anything yet.

Actually, I added on exactly what you attempted to stretch reality into -- but you missed it -- again.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
And you've done even less to support yours.

I've laid out a clear path of how this leads to lessened support, how that harms intelligence-gathering and how that increases risk and danger. It's a pretty straight-forward argument.

You've asserted repeatedly that this will have no impact whatsoever because they're all just a bunch of crazy people anyway, external stimuli have no impact on their state of mind or opinions.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)
Because you missed it.

You are saying, it's fine that they blow up my countrymen into little bits of meat...but DAMN THEM TO HELLLLL FOR PISSING ON THEIR BLOWN TO BITS CORPSES!@#$!@#!#$@! BECAUSE OF THAT DAMN THE PAST, I'M JOINING THE TALIBAN, OR FORGET IT...I'M NO LONGER HELPING THE REST OF THE US MILITARY THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS INCIDENT!@#$!@

Change reflects the continue absurdity of your unprovable point.

Now maybe you won't miss it.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:33 PM)
And it has nothing to do with who they'd gather information from.

You don't just walk down the street General SS, and ask randoms for such information. Those that they have gathering this information for them aren't going to be swayed by such an incident...and it's beyond a stretch for you to suggest they would be.

This is pretty much exactly wrong. Like, you can't get more wrong about local intelligence gathering in asymmetrical warfare.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:34 PM)
I've laid out a clear path of how this leads to lessened support, how that harms intelligence-gathering and how that increases risk and danger. It's a pretty straight-forward argument.

You've asserted repeatedly that this will have no impact whatsoever because they're all just a bunch of crazy people anyway, external stimuli have no impact on their state of mind or opinions.

You've laid out a hypothetical path to hypothetically lessened support. Nothing more.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:35 PM)
This is pretty much exactly wrong. Like, you can't get more wrong about local intelligence gathering in asymmetrical warfare.

No, it's not pretty much exactly wrong, General SS. You are beyond your scope of understanding now, and you've just shown it.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:35 PM)
Now maybe you won't miss it.

I know, that's what I was addressing--you're just restating your same position without actually addressing anything or explaining why it's such a STRETCH! GET ON BACK THERE! to assume that Afghanis will like the US military less when they see the US military pissing on dead Afghanis.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:36 PM)
No, it's not pretty much exactly wrong, General SS. You are beyond your scope of understanding now, and you've just shown it.

Oh, ok. I guess local intelligence is completely unimportant for military operations in foreign countries. You sure showed me.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
I know, that's what I was addressing--you're just restating your same position without actually addressing anything or explaining why it's such a STRETCH! GET ON BACK THERE! to assume that Afghanis will like the US military less when they see the US military pissing on dead Afghanis.

I'm happy to see you've finally figured out how much you're stretching it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:37 PM)
Oh, ok. I guess local intelligence is completely unimportant for military operations in foreign countries. You sure showed me.

That's NOT how they collect local intelligence. You sure showed me!

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:38 PM)
I'm happy to see you've finally figured out how much you're stretching it.

You need to explain why that's such a stretch.

You're basically arguing against the entire concept of propaganda here.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
You need to explain why that's such a stretch.

No, that's not how it works.

You made an argument you cannot prove right. Everything about your argument is hypothetical, and it jumps to the conclusion you want it to jump too, be it increased hate toward the US occupation, OR lessened support from the locals. It's not up to me to prove an argument that hasn't be proven right to be wrong.

The people helping the US military in this operation won't suddenly stop helping them because of this incident, because these people will understand this incident wasn't condoned by the US military and it was just a fringe group of idiots that did something clearly out of bounds with the rules of being a US soldier. Just as it won't create added Taliban support, except from those that already planned on supporting them anyway.