MLB players in the olympics

WhiteSoxfan1986

Watching olympic hockey all week made me think how great the summer olympics would be if MLB allowed its players to compete (if MLB sent its players, baseball would be reinstated as an olympic sport).

IMO, it is a much, much better alternative to the WBC (which is a joke). Just start the season a week, week and a half earlier and schedule some doubleheaders. The competition would be insane.

What does everyone else think?

The relief I felt when I found out that Danks wasn't going to the WBC showed me once and for all that the White Sox winning at baseball means a hell of a lot more to me than the United States winning at baseball.

That said, feel free to send any non-Sox player you want. :gosox3: :usa

Edited by MattZakrowski

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
Watching olympic hockey all week made me think how great the summer olympics would be if MLB allowed its players to compete (if MLB sent its players, baseball would be reinstated as an olympic sport).

IMO, it is a much, much better alternative to the WBC (which is a joke). Just start the season a week, week and a half earlier and schedule some doubleheaders. The competition would be insane.

What does everyone else think?

They do blood based drug testing for the Olympics. MLB players will run as fast as they can away from it.

Yeah, blood testing means the players will never agree to this, considering how many of them are probably still on illegal things even despite advances in drug testing. Even if such an obstacle were overcome though, I don't think baseball with MLB players in the Olympics is feasible with the 162 game schedule. The season runs too late and is really jammed tight into the calendar as it is, imagine it if you also had a two week break for the Olympics.

What sane organization is going to allow their top starting pitcher to take a 2 week break from MLB baseball at the end of July/beginning of August to pitch in a 2 week highly competitive tournament? If Jake Peavy were to participate in such an event I'd be downright furious, even if he were representing my homeland.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 01:32 AM)
What sane organization is going to allow their top starting pitcher to take a 2 week break from MLB baseball at the end of July/beginning of August to pitch in a 2 week highly competitive tournament? If Jake Peavy were to participate in such an event I'd be downright furious, even if he were representing my homeland.

Yeah, this isn't an issue right now anyways since the 2012 Olympics won't have baseball (although it's possible they'll return in 2016 IIRC.)

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 12:34 AM)
Yeah, this isn't an issue right now anyways since the 2012 Olympics won't have baseball (although it's possible they'll return in 2016 IIRC.)

I thought it's best chance to return was if Chicago got it because I believe the host city/country have a say in something like 2 exhibition sports.