Where now?

Princess Dye

If Blalock is willing to sign for $3m or less, I say sure, go for it. Otherwise, I don't think he's got much value. Moderate power by itself is not worth much. I mean, some of us would have killed a man to be rid of Juan Uribe a few years ago, and he can play pretty superior defense.

Same goes for J.D. He's not signing here, though, under any circumstances.

Edited by knightni

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically we are going to play NL type baseball in an AL league. Never mind the fact that the AL has been kicking the living crap out of the NL and their antiquated style of baseball of the last decade or so. I can't wait to see Beckham turned into captain bunting because Ozzie wants to completely recreate the Marlins 2003 lineup. In the end we need to score more runs than the other team. Here's to our pitching staff having a record season.

And for all of the people using 2005 as a comparison. 2005 was a bad offense that still had power. This team is a bad offense that is lacking power. I would put our offense 4th in our division right now. Hopefully we can have career years from all of our offensive players or this will be over quickly. Remember AJ gets a NTC some time in June due to his service time. So be prepared for quicker moves if our offense sucks.

Blalock would be a poor full-time DH. His plate discipline has been steadily worsening and he would bring our already weak team on-base skills down even more. He can play a few infield positions, but not particularly well. Do not want

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 09:15 PM)
after reading the article i just posted im gonna change my answer to stand pat. I think Andruw Jones is hungry and thats not a fat joke

Well then, who are we gonna make fat jokes about this year? :(

Stand pat. Baseball is a game of two halves, the first half you see what sticks to the wall, the second half you fill in gaps. If we have $6M to spend now then I imagine we could get a good bat at the trade deadline. I bet Jones could bat .250 hit 30hr and drive in 80.

QUOTE (striker @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 02:56 AM)
Stand pat. Baseball is a game of two halves, the first half you see what sticks to the wall, the second half you fill in gaps. If we have $6M to spend now then I imagine we could get a good bat at the trade deadline. I bet Jones could bat .250 hit 30hr and drive in 80.

Well, that's a pretty awful strategy for the White Sox, considering our offense always seems to struggle during the 2nd half of the season.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 08:49 PM)
Blalock would be a poor full-time DH. His plate discipline has been steadily worsening and he would bring our already weak team on-base skills down even more. He can play a few infield positions, but not particularly well. Do not want

The question is...which guy makes us better as the last guy on the bench, Blalock or Nix? Nix gives better middle infield defense, which we need. Blalock gives power from the LH side, which we need.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 06:00 PM)
Well, that's a pretty awful strategy for the White Sox, considering our offense always seems to struggle during the 2nd half of the season.

I think our offense struggles because it's been an all or nothing offense, which is typical of a power team. Ozzie wants to go away from that, have the flexibility to create some runs instead of relying too much on power. I don't see a problem with this, except that I still think there are not enough speed guys in the lineup to accomplish what he wants.

But some of you guys act as if there's going to be a complete power outage with this lineup, and I just don't see that. I expect increased power numbers from Rios, Q, Beckham and Ramirez to go along with Jones, who I think will surprise many.

Edited by The Ginger Kid

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 08:57 PM)
I think our offense struggles because it's been an all or nothing offense, which is typical of a power team. Ozzie wants to go away from that, have the flexibility to create some runs instead of relying too much on power. I don't see a problem with this, except that I still think there are not enough OBP guys in the lineup to accomplish what he wants.

But some of you guys act as if there's going to be a complete power outage with this lineup, and I just don't see that. I expect increased power numbers from Rios, Q, Beckham and Ramirez to go along with Jones, who I think will surprise many.

Fixed.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 06:44 PM)
Basically we are going to play NL type baseball in an AL league. Never mind the fact that the AL has been kicking the living crap out of the NL and their antiquated style of baseball of the last decade or so. I can't wait to see Beckham turned into captain bunting because Ozzie wants to completely recreate the Marlins 2003 lineup. In the end we need to score more runs than the other team. Here's to our pitching staff having a record season.

And for all of the people using 2005 as a comparison. 2005 was a bad offense that still had power. This team is a bad offense that is lacking power. I would put our offense 4th in our division right now. Hopefully we can have career years from all of our offensive players or this will be over quickly. Remember AJ gets a NTC some time in June due to his service time. So be prepared for quicker moves if our offense sucks.

Please tell us how this team as a collective is "lacking power".

Eight of the nine hitters in the Sox lineup are capable of hitting 15+ HRS.

Minnesota can't claim that.

Detroit can't claim that.

Whenever you're ready...

Edited by bucket-of-suck

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
Outside of the obvious guys (Peavy, Jones, Pierre, Beckham, ect), I am looking forward to seeing De Aza. I have only ever seen him from a couple clips on mlb.com, so I would love to see him live. I wonder if he has any chance to make the team, because outside of Pierre, we have no speed.

No speed? What are you talking about? You might wanna look a little closer.