Andruw Jones is on a mission

2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)
Havent read the thread through, but quick question. If Jones indeed has most of his agility back, shouldnt there be days that Pierre DHes?

Jones/Rios/CQ in the outfield has some serious cannonage.

That would cost Viquel at-bats though.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just wondering what you all think.

I know spring training is totally meaningless and all that. (But) when a player reaches a certain age or has something major to prove, can you learn anything or project anything from the upcoming plethora of spring training games and at bats?

Will we learn anything at all about oldies Jones, Omar, Kotsay in whether they still have "it." Or will their at bats mean nothing?

And Teahen. And Rios.

Or are all their upcoming at bats meaningless cause it's spring training. Just wondering.

I know young guys are sometimes judged on whether they are "ready" by spring training. What about vets?

If I had to guess, the at bats are meaningless, but for some reason this was on my mind. Wondering whether scouts, Oz and Ken can tell anything about a batter's likelihood of success from extended spring training appearances. The reason I ask is if they are sure, say a Jones, will suck, why would they bring him North?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
I was just wondering what you all think.

I know spring training is totally meaningless and all that. (But) when a player reaches a certain age or has something major to prove, can you learn anything or project anything from the upcoming plethora of spring training games and at bats?

Will we learn anything at all about oldies Jones, Omar, Kotsay in whether they still have "it." Or will their at bats mean nothing?

And Teahen. And Rios.

Or are all their upcoming at bats meaningless cause it's spring training. Just wondering.

I know young guys are sometimes judged on whether they are "ready" by spring training. What about vets?

If I had to guess, the at bats are meaningless, but for some reason this was on my mind. Wondering whether scouts, Oz and Ken can tell anything about a batter's likelihood of success from extended spring training appearances. The reason I ask is if they are sure, say a Jones, will suck, why would they bring him North?

Most at bats are meaningless period. The pitchers in ST are just working on there stuff. Many of them work on new stuff and are not throwing as they would in a regular season game.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)

Those are very encouraging (especially the middle one). If his performance matches his apparent conditioning, that signing could be one of the all-time best.

I know he's been linked to ped's, but his attitude and work ethic have also been ripped as supremely s***ty. Given the obvious work he's put in, the latter seems to no longer be the case.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)
That was my thought. I'm actually excited we have him now.

Yes. They say he's looking great in the outfield, too. So you can DH Pierre and Quentin once a week, and if Rios completely tanks, he's pretty good insurance.

He could be one of the better stories this year.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 28, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
Yes. They say he's looking great in the outfield, too. So you can DH Pierre and Quentin once a week, and if Rios completely tanks, he's pretty good insurance.

He could be one of the better stories this year.

That'd be great if he ended up being one fo the better stories this year. While he probably won't be as great as he was 5-10 years ago, I think he'll be better than he's been the past few seasons.

QUOTE (AJUribe @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 08:43 PM)
I can't wait to see Jones this year, great pick up by Kenny bring in a fading star with a lot to prove

As opposed to an actual reliable DH. This move wasn't made in a vacuum, i liked it back when it made our bench stronger, not our offense more questionable. I am encouraged by him being in better shape though. We'll see how he responds in game.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 08:33 PM)
Can this guy play the field any longer? He's only 33 and has dropped 25 lbs, so I assume he can still move out there? Maybe we can DH Pierre more often and have 3 legit OF's out there...but it seems as if no one believes he's capable anymore...

At least based on last season's performance Juan Pierre isn't a bad left fielder, he just can't throw.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 20, 2010 -> 09:57 PM)
Like I said from the beginning, Andruw Jones is one of my favorite players, and while still hoping to get Thome, Damon, and Dye for DH to be safe, I really think Jones can break out and hit 25 HR next season with at least a .250 average and playing some outfield for us to give Quentin a rest.

And to prove I have been a Jones fan, there is this....

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/2453/dscn3026.jpg

:headbang

The sad thing about the whole situation is that if Jones continues to perform at this level for the rest of the season there's no way Boras is going to let him re-sign with the Sox. And if he reverts back to the Jones of the past few seasons, the Sox won't want to keep him (then again, if Ozzie falls in love with him he may be the starting CFer for the Sox next year even if he bats only .199).

Either way, Jones is likely a one year rental, which is a shame because I'm really starting to like him.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)
The sad thing about the whole situation is that if Jones continues to perform at this level for the rest of the season there's no way Boras is going to let him re-sign with the Sox. And if he reverts back to the Jones of the past few seasons, the Sox won't want to keep him (then again, if Ozzie falls in love with him he may be the starting CFer for the Sox next year even if he bats only .199).

Either way, Jones is likely a one year rental, which is a shame because I'm really starting to like him.

All this means is that we got a great deal for a 1 year rental who is playing like he has everything to prove. He can help us win a lot of games if he continues to swing the stick like that. I'm not worried about next year. . we got a steal for this year and thats HUGE!

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)

Boras didn't even want him signing with us this season. Jones called KW on his own and said he wanted to play for the Sox and would do so for $1M. Boras was pissed he went behind his back.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)
Boras didn't even want him signing with us this season. Jones called KW on his own and said he wanted to play for the Sox and would do so for $1M. Boras was pissed he went behind his back.

Where did you hear that?

Who knows, he may drop Boras. It has happened. He can get his own payday if he really has a comeback year.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Apr 24, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)

If that actually happened...I believe it's technically against the union rules.