Who will hurt us more?

ozzfest

Who will be more detrimental to the Sox?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Sox killers?

• Jim Thome-Twins
    • Johnny Damon-Tigers
    • Neither

QUOTE (qwerty @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 01:14 AM)
His 2009 was better than his 2004 season by 0.7 wins and he did so in 54 less games. In 2008 and 2009 teams were spending roughly 4.5 million on one win, which means he was more than worth the 2.5 million he received. I do not see room for debate. Also, i was in no way trying to imply what you described as satisfactory.

You're assuming WAR isn't flawed, by the way, so yes, there is plenty of room for debate. You can't just be married to the advanced statistics.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you tweeting?

What do you think of Ozzie's new plaything? How long before this whole thing blows up in his face and one of his sons inadvertently types something that comes back to bite them after a tough loss or player transaction?

C'mon Ranger, I know you can get 11,000 followers in a couple of days if you advertise it on the radio and here!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 06:37 AM)
Are you tweeting?

What do you think of Ozzie's new plaything? How long before this whole thing blows up in his face and one of his sons inadvertently types something that comes back to bite them after a tough loss or player transaction?

C'mon Ranger, I know you can get 11,000 followers in a couple of days if you advertise it on the radio and here!

I have an account, but I really haven't posted anything yet. I'm sure I'll do a lot more when the season starts.

As for Ozzie, I really don't care if he does it or not. I think they were just a little worried that he would give out a little too much info on it, which it sounds like he won't do. I honestly think he'll continue to give baseball-related stuff to his everyday media, and I think he'll do it out of courtesy. But I guess you never know.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 03:15 AM)
You're assuming WAR isn't flawed, by the way, so yes, there is plenty of room for debate. You can't just be married to the advanced statistics.

You dismiss statistics in favor of your eyes. Every time. Eyes tend to tell a great deal of lies. It's a two way street, you just can't be married to things you think you saw. When it comes down to it, you don't get the whole picture just from visuals, nor can you from stats. It's a very, very in depth combination. Anytime anything other than generic statistics are brought up you insist on letting us know that there are flaws, i get it, you have more than stressed it enough. Advanced statistics are intended to help us get a better understanding of the game, not the opposite. Sabremetrics is one never ending pursuit to benefit the game of baseball. There is lots of forward progress, backwards progress, and forward progress again in the sabremetric community, just like any other field. Very little is definitive in this game.

You are a traditional baseball fan, through and through. There is nothing wrong with that, as long as you don't keep coming off as what you say is gold, and everything others think is rubbish. I could be wrong and you have no intention to come off that way, but that is how i interrupt it. For what it's worth, i think you are a damn fine poster who adds another much needed dimension to soxtalk. I have noticed when i agree with you (your posts in general, does not mean i replied), i agree wholeheartedly, and when i don't, it's like we are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum. It's nice to have a level head around here, considering that the ratio is probably somewhere in the 20-1 range. The pessimism just for the sake of being pessimistic is extremely old. You know it's sad when this board is dead during a seven game win streak and absolutely hopping on a five game losing streak. People just love to female dog and moan.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
You dismiss statistics in favor of your eyes. Every time. Eyes tend to tell a great deal of lies. It's a two way street, you just can't be married to things you think you saw. When it comes down to it, you don't get the whole picture just from visuals, nor can you from stats. It's a very, very in depth combination. Anytime anything other than generic statistics are brought up you insist on letting us know that there are flaws, i get it, you have more than stressed it enough. Advanced statistics are intended to help us get a better understanding of the game, not the opposite. Sabremetrics is one never ending pursuit to benefit the game of baseball. There is lots of forward progress, backwards progress, and forward progress again in the sabremetric community, just like any other field. Very little is definitive in this game.

You are a traditional baseball fan, through and through. There is nothing wrong with that, as long as you don't keep coming off as what you say is gold, and everything others think is rubbish. I could be wrong and you have no intention to come off that way, but that is how i interrupt it. For what it's worth, i think you are a damn fine poster who adds another much needed dimension to soxtalk. I have noticed when i agree with you (your posts in general, does not mean i replied), i agree wholeheartedly, and when i don't, it's like we are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum. It's nice to have a level head around here, considering that the ratio is probably somewhere in the 20-1 range. The pessimism just for the sake of being pessimistic is extremely old. You know it's sad when this board is dead during a seven game win streak and absolutely hopping on a five game losing streak. People just love to female dog and moan.

Agreed 10000000% with all of this.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)

I appreciate it. It's too bad so many people automatically assume the worst at all times. It's just not a fun way to watch baseball. Good Lord, sometimes the uncertainty of it all is what makes it fun in the first damn place. I appreciate that you are also not an end-of-the-world guy.

I don't just rely on my eyes. I rely on both my eyes and statistics. What I'm saying to you is that you can't just only rely on the advanced statistics, especially when there is plenty of room for error in them. The more complicated a formula or algorithm, the more room there is for some mistakes in the conclusions. I appreciate sabermetrics and I think they hav e aplace, but I just don't thinki they should be gospel. They sometimes seem to benefit the fantasy player in getting an understanding of putting a team together for his purposes rather than help people understand how to put an actual team together.

WAR, for example is interesting to look at and should be taken as a suggestion, but I'm not sold that it accurately measures a player's worth. As you said, some of these SABR stats are constantly evolving and are being tweaked because of errors. That, alone, tells me they don't always have it right and the formulas are sometimes faulty. I mean, how can you really know for sure that a guy was worth 2.5 wins in a season? That's debatable. Stats like OPS, OBP, SLG, and some of the cummulative stats like HR, hits, XBH are not debatable, on the other hand. They are what they are, and they will not change. (By the way, I think AVG has lately been dismissed by the uber-SABR crowd, and I think that's unfortunate. While it may not mean everything anymore, it certainly means something.)

I don't have any contempt for advanced stats, but I do have contempt for the idea that they are the end all.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)
Ranger you should come up with a secret codeword that all soxtalk fans can use when they call your show after games.

Or not.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 25, 2010 -> 05:07 PM)
like, "douchebag"? No. Wait. That's Chris' codeword for Soxtalk fans.

Just say you're from Soxtalk when you're on the phone with me. You'll give your name and location, like everyone else does, but then once I have you on, just say you're from the board or give me your soxtalk name. Easy enough. Some of the WSI folks will do that.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 05:41 AM)
Just say you're from Soxtalk when you're on the phone with me. You'll give your name and location, like everyone else does, but then once I have you on, just say you're from the board or give me your soxtalk name. Easy enough. Some of the WSI folks will do that.

;)

QUOTE (Ranger @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 07:41 AM)

code words are so much more fun though...