2010 Chicago White Sox Spring Training

justBLAZE

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 03:07 PM)
I understand resting players, but by no means should this scenario end with Vizquel at designated hitter.

Agreed. I also don't understand hitting Ramirez 8th. He's a better hitter than Teahan and Rios. I can understand the desire for a lefty to hit 5th to break things up but I was hoping that would be the DH. I can't see any other team using a DH as the 9th hitter. Perhaps we should move to the National League!

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 03:20 PM)
Agreed. I also don't understand hitting Ramirez 8th. He's a better hitter than Teahan and Rios. I can understand the desire for a lefty to hit 5th to break things up but I was hoping that would be the DH. I can't see any other team using a DH as the 9th hitter. Perhaps we should move to the National League!

I'd be willing to bet that, all things considered, Rios and Teahen both put up better offensive numbers in 2010 than Alexei does.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
I'd be in favor.

I have no interest in watching pitchers hit. It basically takes 2 hitters out of the mix. You have an auto out with your pitcher, and most of the time the guy in front of him gets pitched around due to the auto out behind them.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)
Some more confirmation that Kotsay is getting the bulk of time as the DH, and Omar Vizquel will add his incredible defense versatility to the DH position. "For now, this means that Mark Kotsay will get the bulk of at-bats against right-handed pitchers. Guillen also didn't rule out Omar Vizquel batting leadoff as a DH against tough left-handed pitchers, meaning Juan Pierre would get a break." http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...ft-handers.html

Thank god the vast majority of starting pitchers in the AL are left handed, right?

I just found a link from a couple years ago that i think is hilarious given the context of the times. Mark used to be in a platoon (to his dismay) where he didn't get to bat against left-handed pitchers.

"Manager Ken Macha repeatedly has said that Kotsay is not in a platoon, and he said Monday night was a chance to take it easy on Kotsay's troublesome back, as well as to get Bobby Kielty's bat into the lineup.

"Mark's played three days in a row," Macha said. "This is more opportunity to get him a rest."

Kotsay feels as if he's in a platoon, though.

"It is a platoon," he said. "If I'm not in the lineup against left-handers, it's a platoon situation, no ifs, ands or buts. (Macha) has made it clear I'm not playing against left-handed pitchers, especially tonight. He's putting a lineup out there he feels is the best to help us win, and I'm not in it."

Kotsay has made only one start this month against a left-hander, with Kielty -- who is batting .327 against left-handers -- getting five starts in the past 20 games. Kielty doubled and singled in his first two at-bats against rookie lefty Cesar Jimenez.

One of Kotsay's arguments is that he doesn't have a major difference in his lefty/righty splits. He's batting .275 against right-handers this year, .261 against lefties. His career numbers entering this season: .290 against left-handed pitchers, .284 against righties.

"I've had this discussion with (Macha)," he said. "I went in about three weeks ago and asked, and I said, 'My back doesn't need a rest.' It makes it seem like I'm the odd man out, but I've never had a problem hitting left-handers. My numbers across the board are down, but so are a lot of guys' in here. Last year, I hit 60 points higher against lefties."

http://articles.sfgate.com/2006-09-26/spor...nager-ken-macha

I suspect his opinion changed once his back gave out again.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 04:13 PM)
Exactly. It makes zero sense, unless some bizarre series of in-game injuries occurs. Actually, I'm not even sure that would do it.

I told you a couple months ago that Ozzie would have Vizquel at DH and it wouldn't take that many games to happen.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
I'd be willing to bet that, all things considered, Rios and Teahen both put up better offensive numbers in 2010 than Alexei does.

Agreed completely. And I like Alexei as he's improved his discipline (and SB) each year.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 03:07 PM)
I understand resting players, but by no means should this scenario end with Vizquel at designated hitter.

It's ridiculous and of course it's Ozzie. Having a stud defender (still) at DH in games for his bat??? Ugh....

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)
I told you a couple months ago that Ozzie would have Vizquel at DH and it wouldn't take that many games to happen.

Assuming Liriano is the Twins' 5th starter we should get him in the 4th game of the season. Assuming probable 5 man rotations hold up for the first few weeks of the season our next game against a left handed starter would be in the back end of the 4 game Toronto series on the 14th or 15th of April, they have couple lefties that could make up the back-end of their rotation, we play 6 straight days going into the series, could be a good time to give Pierre a rest and Vizquel a start.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)
He's been in America for 2 years, how the hell do you find a year to year pattern from that sample size?

Well... it's two years Kalapse. There you go. If he goes back to his 08 stats in discipline then you can comment on it/bump this thread back to me. But as of right now he's improved.

Edited by SoxAce

Floyd believes his hip problems are behind him.

"I went through lunges and squats that had a lot of bends and twists in it," said Floyd of his yoga-like training. "That loosened it up. You can only strength train so much and you get restricted, and that's when bad things can happen."

Rest helped the injury immediately. So, Floyd had no worries of a recurrence heading into 2010, as he finds himself as one part of the American League's top starting rotations.

"It was probably the way I was training," said Floyd of the injury. "I wasn't trying to get the flexibility/stability stuff in. I was not getting that stretch, getting more toward pushing as much weight as I can, rather than using my own body and body weight as an exercise.

"At the end [after being shut down], I thought it was getting better. It was still there when I tossed, but now it is fine, like it never happened."

Here's direct quotes about Jones from Ozzie.

"Can he play every day and help us? I don't see why not," said Guillen of Jones, who has already drawn early-camp notice from his svelte look. "He has to use all the fields to make him better. The potential and ability is there. He has to know how to use it the best.

"Talking about him right now, he will play against lefties and is going to be in the middle of the lineup. It depends how [Carlos] Quentin and [Paul] Konerko swing the bat, and [Alex] Rios. I hope he keeps in the middle of the lineup and hopefully that works out."

"I think Andruw can hit 25 home runs in our ballpark without trying," Guillen said. "He's that good. One thing that killed him about his game plan was to hit that many home runs, all of a sudden he thought he was a home run hitter. Knowing him for a long time, when Andruw doesn't try to hit home runs, he comes up and has good at-bats and he's got a shot.

"He's been great. I think he took care of himself very well during the winter. I'm going to give him every opportunity to show the ballclub what he can do, how he can help us. He's a little hungry. I was with him when he came in [to the league] and everything was easy in the game.

"God gave him so much ability to go out and play the game," Guillen said. "Now, he gets to the spot where he had a couple of years off, where he was not playing every day after playing every day, this is a second shot for him. It's a very important shot for him to show people."

@OzzieGuillen 10 15 pm going to sleep big day tomorrow bbque at my house after practice yessssss

about 1 hours ago via txt

@ ESPY_TEAHEN Getting some rest. Big day tomorrow-practice and apparently a BBQ I've yet to be invited to.

about 1 hours ago via Echofon

Hahah