2010 Chicago White Sox Spring Training

justBLAZE

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...or-viciedo.html

Sox GM Williams scolds loafing Viciedo

March 8, 2010 12:08 PM | No Comments | UPDATED STORY

By Mark Gonzales

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Dayan Viciedo didn't run out a pop and received a special message from general manager Ken Williams during Monday's B game against the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Viciedo jogged to first base, prompting Williams, who was sitting in the stands, to yell at his Cuban prospect to run to first base.

After the out, Williams walked from his seat before home plate to the Sox's dugout to talk to manager Ozzie Guillen about the incident.

Matt Thornton threw a scoreless first inning, although he needed an accurate throw from right fielder Stefan Gartrell to home plate to nail Brian Giles to end the inning. Gartrell left the game in the bottom of the second after getting hit on the left knee by a pitch. The Sox lead the Dodgers 3-1 in the bottom of the sixth

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 11:20 AM)
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- The White Sox have switched their B game with the Los Angeles Dodgers to the Camelback Ranch stadium Monday morning because the recent rains caused their practice fields to be deemed unplayable.

The B game will start at 9:30 a.m. and end at 11 a.m. so workers can prepare the grounds for the Sox's regularly scheduled 1 p.m. game with Seattle. The B game probably won't be open to the public, although there was no official announcement.

GET BOSSARD ON THE PHONE!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)

I obviously know hes gonna be good but ive never known how good, I read something about him having light tower power so to the guys that follow him more than i do when hes ready what do you expect from him? 20+HR? .275+BA? .350obp? middle of the lineup?

So here's something interesting, that might make fans feel a little better about the Sox this year...

I was in Vegas this past weekend, and visited a couple of the Sports books. I was going to put money down on the Sox, as I have in years past. In 2005, I was there in February, and got 30-1 odds on that team to win the WS.

This year, the Sox are only 6-1 for the WS. That was the 6th highest of any team in baseball. I was floored. Apparently, the bookies are more optimistic than the fans here are.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
This year, the Sox are only 6-1 for the WS. That was the 6th highest of any team in baseball. I was floored. Apparently, the bookies are more optimistic than the fans here are.

If the grim reaper was a Sox fan he'd be more optimistic than some of our fans are.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 11:55 AM)
I obviously know hes gonna be good but ive never known how good, I read something about him having light tower power so to the guys that follow him more than i do when hes ready what do you expect from him? 20+HR? .275+BA? .350obp? middle of the lineup?

Expect or hope?

Right now, I'm not expecting anything from him, and I'm worried he'll bust, like I am with any prospect.

If he reaches his full potential...we're talking Mike Piazza numbers except with a lower batting average. He takes a good number of walks, so we're talking about an upper .300's OBP guy, maybe topping .400. And we're talking 30+ HR.

I think Flowers is great trade bait. From what I've seen of him, he has a bit of Josh Fields' syndrome where he can't catch up to Major League fastballs. I don't think he'll ever be a solid batting average guy. If he can put up Mike Napoli-esque numbers, I'd be very happy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
So here's something interesting, that might make fans feel a little better about the Sox this year...

I was in Vegas this past weekend, and visited a couple of the Sports books. I was going to put money down on the Sox, as I have in years past. In 2005, I was there in February, and got 30-1 odds on that team to win the WS.

That's not the bookies, that is the amount of fans betting on the Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 12:04 PM)
That's not the bookies, that is the amount of fans betting on the Sox.

Last season, pre-season, the Sox were going off at 20-1. I don't think the number of bettors on the Sox has gone up some huge amount in a year, and I don't think this team is considered better than that team was, by most "experts". I had the same thought you did, but it doesn't add up in this case. That's why it seems so odd to me.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 12:15 PM)
Last season, pre-season, the Sox were going off at 20-1. I don't think the number of bettors on the Sox has gone up some huge amount in a year, and I don't think this team is considered better than that team was, by most "experts". I had the same thought you did, but it doesn't add up in this case. That's why it seems so odd to me.

The odds in Vegas are just like a market in a stock or future. They want a balance of action, but not too much risk. A run of people betting on a team pushes the odds lower. If no one bets on a team, it pushes it to a bigger number.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 12:16 PM)
The odds in Vegas are just like a market in a stock or future. They want a balance of action, but not too much risk. A run of people betting on a team pushes the odds lower. If no one bets on a team, it pushes it to a bigger number.

Yes I know, but like I said, the only way that plays here is if you think that Sox fans are betting on them a lot more this year than last year, and that seems unlikely to me. I think that buy side would be pretty consistent last year to this year, yet the odds are far better for the Sox this year than last.

Do people think that the 2009 pre-season Sox looked that much worse than the 2010 pre-season Sox?

Yesterdays recap from the Sox Press pass:

The White Sox were held to six hits yesterday and suffered a 5-4 loss to Seattle at The Ballpark

at Camelback Ranch … Paul Konerko and Alex Rios each hit solo home runs in the loss, their fi rst

of the spring … Jared Mitchell went 2-2 with a triple and a RBI … Gavin Floyd hurled 2.0 scoreless

IP with three strikeouts … J.J. Putz, Matt Long and Randy Williams each tossed 1.0 scoreless

IP.

? The White Sox and Dodgers played to a 3-3 tie in a B-Game Monday in Glendale … Jared

Mitchell went 2-3 with a double and two stolen bases … Justin Greene also went 2-3 with a double

and a stolen base … Matt Thornton tossed 1.0 scoreless IP and Lucas Harrell induced three GIDP

in 3.0 scoreless IP.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 12:16 PM)

The bettors only drive the line with heavy activity. This affects popular bets like the Super Bowl or the cubs. The cubs line is drastically off because of the action played on them. The line will be set to a point that Vegas feels it will not move. I view this as a greater indicator of potential outcome then a book that is looking to be sold such as.....Baseball Prospectus. Baseball prospectus has been off by an average of 7 wins a year for the Sox so chances are whatever they are doing is not working as wel las they would liek you to believe.

I personally think that the Sox are much better this year than last.

I actually am starting to like some of the effort we are seeing from the Sox in the form of more aggresive base running and hopefully better defense. Still not convinced about the Dh spot but heyit is early. We should start to see some good pitching out of the starters in the coming days. GO SOX!!

Today the Sox lost to the SF Giants 6-2 . Box http://mlb.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2...chamlb_sfnmlb_1

Kornerko (DH) with 2 hits including a double. Kotsay (1b) 2 hits. Pierre had a double. Nix 1-2. Vizquel , Teahan , Flowers, Quentin combined 0-11 . Q SF RBI Kotsay RBI.

Danks 3IP, 2H, 1 BB, 4K, 0 R. Pena 1 IP, 0 R. Leesman 1 IP ,1 K, 0 R . Torres 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (HR Rowand) 2 K . Nunez 1 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 2K , 2 HR (Lewis and Posey)

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside