2010 Chicago White Sox Spring Training

justBLAZE

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 05:51 PM)
In this day of modern technology how come every spring training game isn't being tracked via gamecast or similar play by play sites?

Because it takes resources, manpower, and money to do that. I guess they think it wouldn't be profitable.

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 06:47 PM)
Because it takes resources, manpower, and money to do that. I guess they think it wouldn't be profitable.

The government should step in and make sure this happens, for the good of the country.

:lolhitting

Today the Sox lost to the SF Giants 6-2 . Box http://mlb.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2...chamlb_sfnmlb_1

Kornerko (DH) with 2 hits including a double. Kotsay (1b) 2 hits. Pierre had a double. Nix 1-2. Vizquel , Teahan , Flowers, Quentin combined 0-11 . Q SF RBI Kotsay RBI.

Danks 3IP, 2H, 1 BB, 4K, 0 R. Pena 1 IP, 0 R. Leesman 1 IP ,1 K, 0 R . Torres 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (HR Rowand) 2 K . Nunez 1 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 2K , 2 HR (Lewis and Posey)

Wow, right after we mention Nunez as the only decent piece from Swisher trade he tanks. Oh well. :huh

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 12:39 AM)
Apart from Thorton do you think we will be weak from the left side in the bullpen?

Well when your choices are Williams and Threets, it leaves alot to be desired.. but they are serviceable for LOOGY roles specifically. I personally hope the younger Threets somehow wins the job, but that also depends on his control. Santos didn't help him the other day inheriting a run charged to him the other day.

Well when your choices are Williams and Threets, it leaves alot to be desired.. but they are serviceable for LOOGY roles specifically. I personally hope the younger Threets somehow wins the job, but that also depends on his control. Santos didn't help him the other day inheriting a run charged to him the other day.

Kewl, thanx for the info. I admit I did not see much of Williams last year and from what I have heard his FB oes not have much life. I heard he is a control pitcher. Not sure though. I am going to look up Threets and see what kind of upside he has.

Kewl, thanx for the info. I admit I did not see much of Williams last year and from what I have heard his FB oes not have much life. I heard he is a control pitcher. Not sure though. I am going to look up Threets and see what kind of upside he has.

Yup you were right. Threets has a horrible K/BB rate and control issues. I guess another reclamation project for Coop. I know he can´t fix everyone but maybe this guy is another Thorton type project? What is his best pitch? I am guessing power fastball right?

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 12:53 AM)
Yup you were right. Threets has a horrible K/BB rate and control issues. I guess another reclamation project for Coop. I know he can´t fix everyone but maybe this guy is another Thorton type project? What is his best pitch? I am guessing power fastball right?

Fastball for sure, even he would say that.. though his slider is nasty too. It fact.. he always threw pretty hard (94+, can really dial it up) but his control is always an issue not to mention he's quite an enigma (great stuff.. but doesn't get the K's). I'm willing to give Randy Williams the benefit of the doubt though. As a LOOGY, he was effective, though a small sample size last season. Last three years even Williams K rate has gone up from the minors to now, though he's also not the best control pitcher either. We'll see.

I personally think that the Sox are much better this year than last.

I agree, and I don't think it's close. I look at it this way. We entered the season last year with THREE AAAA question marks in our lineup representing 3B, CF, and 2B. We now have a lineup that, whatever your thoughts about the DH, is filled with actual big leaguers from top to bottom. For the first time in several years there will be no gaping holes - no obvious points for beer/bathroom breaks - when we are at bat. And we added a Cy Young winner to the front of our staff. And a recently-dominant (and supposedly fully healed) closer to our pen.

I think it is really the timing and sequencing of KW's assembly of this team, rather than the makeup of the team itself, that has quelled enthusiasm. If Peavy, Beckham, Rios, Putz, Teahen, Pierre, etc. had been dumped in our lap all at once, rather than in dribs and drabs over a half a season and an off-season, I think people would be much more excited.

But it's March, baby. The reality of an actual baseball season is about to tear all these paper projections and arguments to shreds. I'm excited.

Remeber about Pena that he did not work with Coop in the spring.

I am not saying it is a Coop'll fix him.....yes I guess I am but you never know.

Hopefully they can get somethign out of Threets.

Without researching but based on the limited action I have seen, Teahan is not off to a great start.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 09:25 AM)
You f***ers used to be a lot better about providing ST pictures.

I used to go every spring, and post pics here from the games that I took, but I'm not able to get down there this year. I guess you'll just have to Google for some professional ones.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 12:04 PM)

Our pitching staff is off to a blistering start. The only starter to allow a run yet is freddy. Most of the bullpen looks pretty golden too.

Why is Randy Williams still not on the roster?

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
Our pitching staff is off to a blistering start. The only starter to allow a run yet is freddy. Most of the bullpen looks pretty golden too.

He is on the 40-man. That's a mistake on the website.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)

Nothing is still showing up on Google news other than he is scheduled to pitch soon.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 12:49 PM)
3 cuts today.

Catchers Miguel Gonzalez and Josh Phegley, and OF Jared Mitchell were reassigned to minor league camp.

52 left in camp.

"Well you were crushing the ball this spring Jared.. in order for you to not stay hot, were gonna send you down early." He was going down anyway, just shocked it is this early, as usually the sox give prospects a longer look in camp. Perhaps they already know his A+ or AA fate though.