2010 Chicago White Sox Spring Training

justBLAZE

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 12:08 AM)
I know it means nothing, but I hope Anderson does well with KC.

I don't want him to beat us, but I always liked him.

I agree. It's a shame to waste that CF defense. I really wish someone here could have gotten through to BA and taught him how to hit. He would have been star.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 11:13 AM)
Roster moves:

White Sox Option Tyler Flowers & Carlos Torres to Class AAA; Reassign Ryan Braun, Jordan Danks, Josh Kroeger, Brent Morel & C.J. Retherford

32 left in camp.

CJ the only mild surprise there - I thought he'd be sticking around longer. Looks like the bench is set, then.

So that about sets the roster

1. Pierzynski

2. Konerko

3. Beckham

4. Ramirez

5. Teahen

6. Pierre

7. Rios

8. Quentin

9. Jones

10. Kotsay

11. Vizquel

12. Castro

13. Nix

14. Buehrle

15. Peavy

16. Danks

17. Floyd

18. Garcia

19. Jenks

20. Thornon

21. Putz

22. Pena

23. Linebrink

24. Williams

25. Santos

This might be the first year since I became a Sox fan that the 25 man roster could have easily been predicted at the very beginning of spring training. Not a single surprise, not a single positional battle.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 11:19 AM)
25. Santos

This might be the first year since I became a Sox fan that the 25 man roster could have easily been predicted at the very beginning of spring training. Not a single surprise, not a single positional battle.

Santos is a bit of a suprise considering he's never had definitive success in the minor leagues. They're keeping him on the roster due to his potential, spring training success, and lack of options.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 11:21 AM)
Santos is a bit of a suprise considering he's never had definitive success in the minor leagues. They're keeping him on the roster due to his potential, spring training success, and lack of options.

Regardless, he was the public favorite for the final bullpen spot just after Carrasco was non-tendered because of 2 of the 3 of the reasons you listed at the end. And when the favorite wins it's not much of a surprise.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 11:22 AM)
Defintely. Barring injury, they're leaving camp with the roster they had in mind at the beginning of spring training.

7 cuts left will be Aquino, Hudson, Leesman, Threets, Lucy, Lillibridge, De Aza.

Aquino and Hudson are still theoretically battling with Santos for the final pen spot. Santos has looked pretty good though, Aquino has been garbage during his career, and Hudson they are in no hurry to push up.

Leesman and Threets, same for the LOOGY job, but Williams seems to have it all but locked up.

De Aza and Lillibridge are theoretically still battling Nix, but De Aza is an OF and just not likely, and Lillibridge is... Lillibridge.

Lucy may take another shot in the minors this year, but he has nowhere to go - AAA and AA starting C's are set, and Armstrong is still drifting around as well. I suspect he retires, goes to another org, or maybe becomes a coach, sometime in the next year.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 11:19 AM)
So that about sets the roster

1. Pierzynski

2. Konerko

3. Beckham

4. Ramirez

5. Teahen

6. Pierre

7. Rios

8. Quentin

9. Jones

10. Kotsay

11. Vizquel

12. Castro

13. Nix

14. Buehrle

15. Peavy

16. Danks

17. Floyd

18. Garcia

19. Jenks

20. Thornon

21. Putz

22. Pena

23. Linebrink

24. Williams

25. Santos

I think De Aza sticks around and we reassign Nix actually.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)
Do Lessman and Threets ahve to clear waivers?

Also De Aza can be send down with no ramifications, Nix has to clear waivers thus Nix will stick around.

I wish Lillibridge would go away.

Leesman was drafted in 2008 so he's still got a ways to go before he even needs to be placed on the 40, so no he won't have to clear waivers he can just be reassigned with no ramifications. I assume Threets' minor league deal does not include an out-clause (I don't see why it would) so he can be reassigned to AAA without having to be placed on waivers.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 23, 2010 -> 12:35 PM)
I think De Aza sticks around and we reassign Nix actually.

You can't reassign Nix unless you want him exposed to waivers. We don't need that many OF's anyway, especially considering Nix can play LF. Swapping De Aza for Nix gives you no power off the bench, and only one backup infielder. It's not going to happen and if it does, it shouldn't.