2010 Chicago White Sox Spring Training

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
why exactly would he suddenly jump from 15 hr a year to 25 because he's on our team?

I mean i like the guy, but lets temper our optimism and not name him to the all-star team quite yet.

His HR numbers SHOULD increase due to ballpark, and the fact he hits a lot of doubles, so 25 might be a possibility, but I see that more as a max than a likelyhood.

I think 18-21 is a pretty accurate number.

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 12:49 AM)
His HR numbers SHOULD increase due to ballpark, and the fact he hits a lot of doubles, so 25 might be a possibility, but I see that more as a max than a likelyhood.

I think 18-21 is a pretty accurate number.

ok fair enough, but say a few of his 34 doubles turn into homers. That doesn't leave you with 25 hr and 30+ doubles like suggested above - because if you LOSE the doubles, say 6, and they become homers, so you've got 21 or so, you're now at 21 homers and 28 doubles. Sure that's good, but 25/30+ is not going to happen

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 01:07 AM)
ok fair enough, but say a few of his 34 doubles turn into homers. That doesn't leave you with 25 hr and 30+ doubles like suggested above - because if you LOSE the doubles, say 6, and they become homers, so you've got 21 or so, you're now at 21 homers and 28 doubles. Sure that's good, but 25/30+ is not going to happen

I was just referring to the HR total.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 01:42 PM)
He has beastly forearms.

Nice to see Donny in camp, I really thought a couple years ago he'd become the backup C to AJ. That injury really messed things up for him. Unless he manages to get regular at-bats AND puts up huge numbers in AA/AAA this year, his chances at a major league job are basically zero. Even if he does do those things, its still a long shot.

Maybe it's the fact that this winter has seemed ungodly long and the additional fact that the Bears sucked, but I'm looking more forward to this baseball season than in the past. I'm willing the snow away so I can go out and start playing catch with my kids.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 03:22 AM)
yeah i know... most of that post wasn't really directed at what you said... even though i quoted you.

Gawd didn't you get that?

I always tend to overshoot everything and thats not just for the white sox and i do agree now the doubles are prob a lil to high but i believe 25 HR wont be stretch, i understand the most hes ever hit was 18 but do know that Kauffman Stadium is one of if not the hardest place to hit a HR so playing half his games in the cell i believe will be a significant boost to his HR totals.

I believe he will be great in the 5 spot, I prefer him over AJ all day to break up the RH in the lineup

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 01:16 PM)
FWIW, Teahen's twitter/blog is a hilarious read.

link me???

found it and anticipate....

Will be taking plenty of pics from ST and posting them for all to see. No worries. @cowsarecool220
Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)
I'd really prefer Beckham hitting lower in the order for more chances at knocking in runs...

Ideally he would bat 2nd and then come back as the DH, hitting 5th. Of course he would have to throw on a fake mustache or something when DHing.

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 01:14 PM)
I'd really prefer Beckham hitting lower in the order for more chances at knocking in runs...

He’s hitting second, he’ll have the second most chance to drive in runs of anyone in the lineup. It’s not like this team’s going to be getting on-base at a spectacular rate for him anyway.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
Ideally he would bat 2nd and then come back as the DH, hitting 5th. Of course he would have to throw on a fake mustache or something when DHing.

Then he could just put "Gordon" on the back of his jersey. No one would question it because it is a last name.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 21, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
Before we start saying guys are done if they go 0 for 10 during spring training or give up 8 runs in an inning, or put them on the All Star team because they are 9 out of their last 14 or pitch a couple of scoreless innings with 5 ks lets all keep in mind these spring training facts from the Tribune:

In 2005, White Sox pitchers a 5.59 spring ERA before proceeding to win the World Series.

Brian Anderson batted .309 the next spring to win the starting center field job, only to lose it by midseason.

And infielder Wilson Betemit led the Sox last spring with six home runs and 18 RBIs, only to be designated for assignment two months later.

We must be done already- we just have to be :lolhitting :bringit

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)

actually batting him second gives him a chance to have more ABs in a game than if he were hitting 4th or 5th, so he will have more opportunities to drive in runs. especially with Pierre leading off. If he gets on base, a nice two bagger scores him.

Some more confirmation that Kotsay is getting the bulk of time as the DH, and Omar Vizquel will add his incredible defense versatility to the DH position. "For now, this means that Mark Kotsay will get the bulk of at-bats against right-handed pitchers. Guillen also didn't rule out Omar Vizquel batting leadoff as a DH against tough left-handed pitchers, meaning Juan Pierre would get a break." http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...ft-handers.html

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
Some more confirmation that Kotsay is getting the bulk of time as the DH, and Omar Vizquel will add his incredible defense versatility to the DH position. "For now, this means that Mark Kotsay will get the bulk of at-bats against right-handed pitchers. Guillen also didn't rule out Omar Vizquel batting leadoff as a DH against tough left-handed pitchers, meaning Juan Pierre would get a break.

" http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...ft-handers.html

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

For once, yeah, I hate to say I told you so.

Walker's not sure what the regular lineup is going to look like.

Pierre is going to lead off, likely followed by Gordon Beckham, Quentin and Konerko. Walk said Teahen could hit fifth, likely followed by Rios, A.J. Pierzynski, Ramirez and whoever the DH is that day.

So Walker is penciling in the DH for the ninth spot in the lineup. What team that expects to contend in the AL goes into the season expecting whomever their DH is to be batting ninth? Shows me at least Walker doesn't have much confidence in Jones/Kotsay/Vizquel/Nix DH either despite what Ozzie says.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man