2010 Chicago White Sox Spring Training

justBLAZE

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)
Buehrle, Jenks and Peavy said the same thing about not caring they got shelled. What matters to them is that they feel good (health wise, mechanics, location, etc..) even after a 6 ER effort. That's why I was telling people not to get freaked out on Mark Teahen yet, who I was more or less looking at his defense at 3B more-so than his at-bats (not to mention the ridiculous bad luck he's been getting so far)

I doubt Buehrle, Jenks, and Peavy all said they don't care about Spring Training. That's different then saying they don't pay attention to the results or the boxscore. But I bet you anything they care about spring training because it gives them the chance to get their work in vs. live hitting, work on certain pitches, get their arms in shape, ect.

So maybe jphat misquoted him and meant to say that Freddy doesn't care about the game results (which is normal), but if not, then Freddy sounds like Brett Favre and his "I am too good for spring training/mini camp" attitude.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 09:53 PM)
So maybe jphat misquoted him and meant to say that Freddy doesn't care about the game results (which is normal)

You would be correct. Though some players have said they would prefer shorter ST times. Gavin Floyd was ready to go 2 weeks ago.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 05:22 PM)
You should have been worried about the offense before spring training even started and even if you do put stock into Spring performance; 2 of the biggest question marks in the lineup have been our 2 most productive players.

The issue is that even with the two questions marks working out are offense is still struggling. I'm not saying this is anything damning, it is spring after all, but no one really expects our offense to be that impressive in the regular season anyway, so the spring struggles seem to reinforce that theory.

The issue is that even with the two questions marks working out are offense is still struggling. I'm not saying this is anything damning, it is spring after all, but no one really expects our offense to be that impressive in the regular season anyway, so the spring struggles seem to reinforce that theory.

TB, I'm no expert but shouldn't the offense perform historically in better weather?

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 26, 2010 -> 11:04 PM)
You would be correct. Though some players have said they would prefer shorter ST times. Gavin Floyd was ready to go 2 weeks ago.

I'm sure most would like shorter spring training, just like most in the NFL would like a shorter training camp. Some guys need it. Especially guys coming off injury. I would be though if it was shorter, they would like it to start later, not start the regualar season sooner. If they started sooner, chances are there would be a lot more doubleheaders later in the season.

I understand what an established pitcher tries to accomplish in spring training. It's just uncomfortable as a fan watching your whole starting staff get hit so hard so often. You can't wipe away a career of success because of a spring training. The Sox have five established staters with a rook in the wings. It's a long season and barring excessive injury we should prevail in the long run. Nothing like a pennant race down the stretch. Lets hope we are part of and victors of one. Strap it on and hunker down boys we are almost there!

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 03:03 AM)
TB, I'm no expert but shouldn't the offense perform historically in better weather?

They're playing in Arizona, now. Not sure i see a direct correlation but normally offenses do perform better in spring, mostly becasue of the the quality of pitchers they're hitting against.

They're playing in Arizona, now. Not sure i see a direct correlation but normally offenses do perform better in spring, mostly becasue of the the quality of pitchers they're hitting against.

TB, I think you were out at ST just a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to ask but maybe in general to the whole forum instead of whining about every other thing if the Sox are playing the kind of mixed smallball and defense that Ozzie claims this new lineup will produce? Apart from the obvious strong point we have with the starting rotation, have we seen anything this ST that will convince us that Ozzie is on the right track with the lineup when it come sto smarter baseball, run producing, hitting, and defense?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
Apparently the season really needs to start because people are freaking out.

Nah... they're just practicing freaking out... building up their stamina... working on their freak-out techniques.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 04:21 PM)
Really it is just the spring training for the fans who are getting into midseason freak out form.

But I don't think fans today need such an extensive spring training to get ready. I've been freaking out abut the DH situation on my own since January. I've been freaking out about giving a terrible hitter the most PAs on the team since December. Needless to say, I'm ready for the season. :bringit

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
Apparently the season really needs to start because people are freaking out.

I would love the season to start because i am sick of the lack of conversation... and when there is any it is generally terrible.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)
Nah... they're just practicing freaking out... building up their stamina... working on their freak-out techniques.

Speaking for myself, i can say that's true. I've got this really good Fire Ozzie tirade worked out for our first loss. Not to mention i have specific Linebrink, Pierre, and Kotsay segments worked out for later in the year. No Quentin stuff though yet. That'll catch me off guard.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
But I don't think fans today need such an extensive spring training to get ready. I've been freaking out abut the DH situation on my own since January. I've been freaking out about giving a terrible hitter the most PAs on the team since December. Needless to say, I'm ready for the season. :bringit

Well it wasn't like that back in my day. We went home and worked during the winter, unlike these overpaid fans of toady.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 05:08 PM)
Jake Peavy vs Reds AAA team:

7 IP, 7 ER, 12 hits, 4 Ks, 1 BB

112 pitches...that deserves a wow.

Was he throwing his full arsenal or was he just having a bad day?

I wouldn't freak out...

Bartolo Colon and Jose Contreras threw shutouts before the end of spring training last year. Look what happened.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
Was he throwing his full arsenal or was he just having a bad day?

I wouldn't freak out...

Bartolo Colon and Jose Contreras threw shutouts before the end of spring training last year. Look what happened.

I think the fact that he threw 112 pitches is the most alarming thing, not the fact he got hit around.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
Teahen up to .256. From where he was, I'd say that's a good thing.

He hit .433 with a 1.360 OPS last spring and he was poor when it counted. Spring numbers mean squat. Hopefully Walker has him doing something that will translate to hits when it matters.