2010 Chicago White Sox Spring Training

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 06:39 PM)
That was 100% deliberate. Probably 110 were fastballs again.

Peavy was happy with the outing he liked his breaking ball, he said his problem was location. But you are correct, it means nothing if he gets tagged and nothing if he throws a no hitter at this point. Just be ready when it counts.

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 07:49 PM)
Peavy was happy with the outing he liked his breaking ball, he said his problem was location. But you are correct, it means nothing if he gets tagged and nothing if he throws a no hitter at this point. Just be ready when it counts.

I think the rule usually is you give them a full outing of pitches 2 starts before the season starts, then you back off in your last start.

QUOTE (scenario @ Mar 27, 2010 -> 01:20 PM)
Nah... they're just practicing freaking out... building up their stamina... working on their freak-out techniques.

that's funny.

maybe people are working on some new rants, trying to tighten up their whole approach to freaking out when the team has a couple bad games in a row.

that's funny.

maybe people are working on some new rants, trying to tighten up their whole approach to freaking out when the team has a couple bad games in a row.

I ranted, got kicked in the butt and moved on. GO SOX!!

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 04:25 AM)
that's funny.

We don't want any Mark Kotsay in the three hole type freakouts!

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 05:25 AM)
that's funny.

I agree. Right now, people are only throwing anxious rants. When the regular season hits, they'll be throwing anxious rants, angry rants, doomsday rants, and whiny rants depending on the situation. What matters right now is that they feel good about the rants they're throwing out there, even if they get hit hard.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
So if the Sox go with 13 pitchers, how about they trade Jayson Nix to Detroit, who's looking for a second baseman? I'm sure KW could get a A or AA pitcher for him. Is Nix really gonna come back to haunt the Sox?

Why would they want to go with 13 pitchers?

I thought the issue was they wanted De Aza on the roster because of his spring and were considering 11 pitchers?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 10:58 PM)
So if the Sox go with 13 pitchers, how about they trade Jayson Nix to Detroit, who's looking for a second baseman? I'm sure KW could get a A or AA pitcher for him. Is Nix really gonna come back to haunt the Sox?

I suspect they'd still consider Scott Sizemore to be a better option then Jayson Nix. Not to mention the fact that Nix could still help this team, and fits logically into our roster.

The Tigers have already squashed the rumor about being interested in a 2B.

Fact is the Tigers are talking up Scott Sizemore like he's a ROY candidate.

But he's had sort of a slow start this spring, which has reporters running around making up stories about their need for another 2B.

I've always respected Peter Gammons so it's no surprise, but I do enjoy and respect when national writers accurately encapsulate the reality of our team. It makes me trust their opinions on other teams and makes them a staple of my reading queue.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
I've always respected Peter Gammons so it's no surprise, but I do enjoy and respect when national writers accurately encapsulate the reality of our team. It makes me trust their opinions on other teams and makes them a staple of my reading queue.

As much s*** as Gammons' takes for his Red Sox love and Billy Beane worship, at least he knows his stuff, along with Ken Rosenthal.

The quality of their pieces and the depth of their knowledge is far greater than the rest of the national media.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
As much s*** as Gammons' takes for his Red Sox love and Billy Beane worship, at least he knows his stuff, along with Ken Rosenthal.

The quality of their pieces and the depth of their knowledge is far greater than the rest of the national media.

Like Jon Heyman who's never said or written a single interesting thing that I've ever seen.

I just saw an Oz quote in Tuesday's USA Today saying "we're going to hit and run all day" or something to that effect. He really is intent on this small ball thing. This should get really interesting once we start playing for real.

I just saw an Oz quote in Tuesday's USA Today saying "we're going to hit and run all day" or something to that effect. He really is intent on this small ball thing. This should get really interesting once we start playing for real.

What is everyone's opinion of smallball until now in ST? Has there been progress made on base running and stealing fundamentals? On defensive fundamentals?

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 07:10 AM)
What is everyone's opinion of smallball until now in ST? Has there been progress made on base running and stealing fundamentals? On defensive fundamentals?

Baserunning...there's been some nice stuff going on, except Juan Pierre looks awfully slow to me. Alexei, Rios, Becksy have been moving well. Ozzie has also pulled off some sweet hit and run/double steal plays in the spring, and I think almost everyone on this board would agree that the hit and run is the one pressure/speed play that Ozzie has underused the past few years, so hopefully he likes those.

Defensively...well, we've improved the OF. The IF...hasn't looked good to me yet. Beckham's still obviously settling in at 2b, Alexei seems right where we left him last year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 07:39 AM)
Baserunning...there's been some nice stuff going on, except Juan Pierre looks awfully slow to me. Alexei, Rios, Becksy have been moving well. Ozzie has also pulled off some sweet hit and run/double steal plays in the spring, and I think almost everyone on this board would agree that the hit and run is the one pressure/speed play that Ozzie has underused the past few years, so hopefully he likes those.

Defensively...well, we've improved the OF. The IF...hasn't looked good to me yet. Beckham's still obviously settling in at 2b, Alexei seems right where we left him last year.

I've gotten this impression too - the baserunning has looked quite good, other than Pierre, strangely.