Garfien: Sox made serious play for Halladay

IamPabloOzuna

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 06:31 PM)
Only way you get Halladay without giving up Floyd or Danks is by trading Beckham, and I just don't think they'd have done that.

I disagree. Flowers/Hudson/Jordan Danks could net a LOT of players in this league.

QUOTE (IamPabloOzuna @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
http://www.csnchicago.com/pages/soxdrawer

what might have been...

Apparently, the Halliday trade was completed, but the extension was more than the Sox could handle. Again, this confirms that there is absolute interest in our prospects.

see: San Diego in a few months...The Pads have an extensive knowledge of the Sox system now.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 06:11 PM)
I think he is saying that there is a deal that will happen in the future that isn't apparent right now because the circumstances which will cause it to occur have not occurred yet themselves.

There should be ZERO doubt that Kenny is gonna add a serious left-handed bat in the coming weeks.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 06:59 PM)
There should be ZERO doubt that Kenny is gonna add a serious left-handed bat in the coming weeks.

Well there's doubt just because if they really expended that much time on the Damon thing, it has to mean it was something they saw as the best option for now.

After all, they wouldnt make that move if they had some sliver of hope expressed to them by SD's F.O., right?

And the other problem is the already existing roster crunch. Not to say it cant be done and rearranged but I think it's a stretch to say there's zero reason to doubt.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 06:03 PM)
honestly, screw him for saying this.....what was the point?

He was asked multiple times. He just gave an answer, and he didn't even say Halladay was the guy.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
I love his aggressivness towards starting pitching. However, I wish he would direct some of that aggressive behaivor towards aqcuirering a lefty power hitter. Although KW did mention "There is something we don't see right now, you can bank on that- there is something thats going to happen that we don't see right now, so try to insulate yourself, because its going to happen"

I wonder what he means by this? Is there a trade in the works for that lefty hitter? Was he just talking about a mid-season deal? He looked smirky. .

Check out the video and you can decide yourself.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

How do you know he didn't? You didn't even know about Halladay until just now.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 06:31 PM)
Only way you get Halladay without giving up Floyd or Danks is by trading Beckham, and I just don't think they'd have done that.

That's not neccessarily true. Especially if another team were to have been involved.

Did we really need Halladay? Personally, I think our rotation is good enough as is. I would have loved to have him, but we probably would have needed to trade either Danks for Floyd, something I wouldn't have wanted to do.

This team needs a big hitter more so than a big pitcher, something Kenny failed to get this off-season.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 07:04 PM)
Well there's doubt just because if they really expended that much time on the Damon thing, it has to mean it was something they saw as the best option for now.

After all, they wouldnt make that move if they had some sliver of hope expressed to them by SD's F.O., right?

And the other problem is the already existing roster crunch. Not to say it cant be done and rearranged but I think it's a stretch to say there's zero reason to doubt.

I think that Damon fell into their consideration, and fit the bill. SD can afford to ask for the system right now, but they'll lose leverage by July.

In the past few weeks, Kenny has officially gone public with his desire for a lefty impact bat. I'm not saying the addition is imminent, I'm saying the Thome, Damon discussions...remove the pre-Soxfest concern that Kenny is gonna just accept the lack of a lefty impact bat on this roster. -BTW, he just said if Jermaine Dye was left handed he'd be in camp right now. -Ugh....

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 07:18 PM)
I think that Damon fell into their consideration, and fit the bill. SD can afford to ask for the system right now, but they'll lose leverage by July.

In the past few weeks, Kenny has officially gone public with his desire for a lefty impact bat. I'm not saying the addition is imminent, I'm saying the Thome, Damon discussions...remove the pre-Soxfest concern that Kenny is gonna just accept the lack of a lefty impact bat on this roster. -BTW, he just said if Jermaine Dye was left handed he'd be in camp right now. -Ugh....

A left handed Jermaine Dye can hit better than Mark Kotsay I say.

QUOTE (Rooftop Shots @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 06:27 PM)
Kind of reminds me of the 68" White Sox. They had a team era (INCLUDING THE BULLPEN) of 2.53. Still didn't win the pennant because of the lineup. Don't get me wrong, if everyone does what they are supposed to....especially Rios, Quentin, Jones, it will without a doubt add some punch to our lineup. So.....granted....we do have a chance to do something special this year.............but all of the pieces do have to fall in place.

That team actually had a 2.75 ERA, which ranked fourth in the AL. The entire AL had an ERA of 2.98, so while the number looks really, really impressive by today's standards, it wasn't too ridiculous that season.

EDIT: On the other hand, the '67 Sox had an AL best 2.45 ERA (lgERA was 3.23) while scoring only 3.28 runs (league average was 3.7) per game. They finished fourth in the AL.

Edited by Felix

So how much does Halladay make? And at a minimum, how much would it have cost to extend him even if he gave you an unbelievable bargain? Next time KW tells you he doesn't have any money, you know what he's full of, and if it was ultimately the size of the extension that caused the trade not to go through, how does that Rios waiver claim look now?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 06:59 PM)

I doubt that he makes any moves until well after the season starts.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 07:28 PM)
So how much does Halladay make? And at a minimum, how much would it have cost to extend him even if he gave you an unbelievable bargain? Next time KW tells you he doesn't have any money, you know what he's full of, and if it was ultimately the size of the extension that caused the trade not to go through, how does that Rios waiver claim look now?

You have to stop doing this to yourself...

QUOTE (gatnom @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 07:37 PM)
I doubt that he makes any moves until well after the season starts.

You have to stop doing this to yourself...

Really? Maybe you should think about it for a second. $15.75 million for 2010. He wouldn't take a cut in an extension. At minimum and a bargain would have been 3 years $50 million, so if they were serious they had to be ready for at least that. The $60 million they owe Rios would have come in handy.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 07:38 PM)
Really? Maybe you should think about it for a second.

Ok, I still doubt it.

Edit: I see you've edited your post. I am on your side basically, but you know you are just going to get blasted for bringing the money thing up again.

Edited by gatnom

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 07:18 PM)
Did we really need Halladay? Personally, I think our rotation is good enough as is. I would have loved to have him, but we probably would have needed to trade either Danks for Floyd, something I wouldn't have wanted to do.

This team needs a big hitter more so than a big pitcher, something Kenny failed to get this off-season.

This has got to be one of the silliest questions I've ever heard. Do we really need a Cy Young award winner in his prime?

Pitching always trumps hitting. This is why there are so many ridiculous contracts paid to pitchers and not as many for hitters.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Feb 22, 2010 -> 08:12 PM)
That's not neccessarily true. Especially if another team were to have been involved.

Ranger's right. It seemed that in almost every iteration the Halladay trade was a three-team deal. I don't see why this would be any different.

Edited by Thunderbolt

OK. So they went after a big fish. That's good to see. The question now is, what big fishes will be available during the season? Assuming the usual suspects are out of the playoff race, and I defer to y'all in this forum, what players do the Sox have a legit shot at, knowing they were close to signing Halladay?