How do you feel about the Designated Hitter?

NorthSideSox72

DH or no DH?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. DH or no DH?

• There should be a DH in both leagues
    • I like the AL-only DH approach, as is
    • Neither league should have a DH

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only known the DH. I don't care to watch pitchers hit. They're paid to pitch. If they kept it the way it is, I wouldn't care, but I kind of would like the NL to add the DH so the AL wouldn't be top heavy on hitters.

But if they got rid of the DH, I would get used to it too.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
I don't know whether I'm willing to watch five to ten less years of players such as Jim Thome, Frank Thomas, Harold Baines, Rafael Palmeiro, etc...

Getting paid millions of dollars to play for about 5 minutes per game seems ludicrous to me. For that money they should be working out year round to be in amazing shape so that they could play the field.

I would be in favor of getting rid of the DH if pitchers could hit worth a lick. I hate it when a NL team can just walk the bases loaded cause they know the pitcher will come up and they can get him out. If they could even hit anywhere close to what a Kotsay/Jones/Vizquel platoon will hit (which isnt much), I would be all for banning the DH.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
I would be in favor of getting rid of the DH if pitchers could hit worth a lick. I hate it when a NL team can just walk the bases loaded cause they know the pitcher will come up and they can get him out. If they could even hit anywhere close to what a Kotsay/Jones/Vizquel platoon will hit (which isnt much), I would be all for banning the DH.

Sometime the pitcher does knock in that key hit. They can also pinch hit or do a double switch. There's a lot more tactical strategy involved.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
Sometime the pitcher does knock in that key hit. They can also pinch hit or do a double switch. There's a lot more tactical strategy involved.

I agree, and the whole strategy in pinch hitting or double switching is why I prefer no-DH. And you have also pitchers like Zambrano and Owings that give you an advantage. Just some of those pitchers are so damn bad at hitting, it frustrates me.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
I agree, and the whole strategy in pinch hitting or double switching is why I prefer no-DH. And you have also pitchers like Zambrano and Owings that give you an advantage. Just some of those pitchers are so damn bad at hitting, it frustrates me.

So, you're saying you like it when the 9th guy in the order is able to hit? Maybe if you replaced him with a full time hitter, someone designated to do that job.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)
I like it, but Ozzie makes me hate it.

So true.

With interleague play and the integration of the umpiring crews, I like that that there is still some difference between the leagues, although its weird to consider that the NL is now the only league of significance without the DH. Its used in the NCAA, the minors, and in international competitions like the WBC and the Olympics.

I think it makes for a better game overall, despite the loss of strategy in a small percentage of close games. Even in those games, however, I think the strategy angle tends to be somewhat overhyped; most manager's decisions can be pretty reliably predicted, kind of like "going for two" in football.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
Getting paid millions of dollars to play for about 5 minutes per game seems ludicrous to me. For that money they should be working out year round to be in amazing shape so that they could play the field.

Most of these guys have to work their asses off year round just so they can DH for ~130 games, it can only do so much when you're body is failing you in your mid 30's.

1.) I'm not giving up 7 or 8 years of Edgar Martinez's career, without the DH he would have been forced to retire in his early 30's. Cutting in half the career of one of the greatest pure hitters I've ever seen, I'm not trading that for anything.

2.) I hate watching s*** relievers pitch for 4 innings because the team had to pinch hit with the bases loaded and 2 outs in the top of the 5th.

3.) A team taking a big hit defensively because they have to keep a big bat in the lineup despite the fact that he's an absolute butcher in the field just lessens one of the main aspects of the game. Personally, I have no interest in watching Adam Dunn play left or David Ortiz play first.

4.) There's few things in sports more annoying than watching a pitcher try to hit. I watch baseball for entertainment purposes and for me watching starting pitchers go deep into games instead of being lifted for Lenny Harris in the 6th and seeing guys like Edgar Martinez and Jim Thome continue to wreak havoc on pitchers into their late 30's rather than being relegated to a golf course does a lot more for me than Dusty Baker pulling double switch in the 7th.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)

And Carlos Zambrano is only a lifetime .236/.243/.396/.639 hitter, meaning the Cubs have a big advantage because they have right handed Wilson Betemit hitting 9th for them.