Target Field

knightni

I'd say the roof portion from some of the inside photos reminds me of The Cell, but aside from that, most of the interior designs (especially the outfield area) remind me of other stadiums.

From left to right there's the PETCO looking area along the foul pole, the overhang resembling Arlington, right center field reminds me of Wrigley, and the right field area has the Camden Yards appearance.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
Does anyone happen to know which way its oriented? What cardinal direction the left field line is on, for example? Because I see something very interesting, depending on the facing.

The left field line faces northwest I believe.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)
The left field line faces northwest I believe.

OK, so... there is a big hole in the RF corner of the stadium. That's the SE corner. You won't get SE winds very often in the Twin Cities, but summer months will usually be between NW and SW. That will create a chute right out to the RF corner... but if its a SW or south-of SW wind, you'll get a reverse, and it will blow back in. So... the really hot days, with a S or SW wind blowing, the RF corner won't be as nice as you'd think. But most days, with W to N winds, you'll get that chute. Something to keep in mind.

This made me laugh.

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- When the Twins returned in the clubhouse after their first full squad workout on Saturday, there was a navy blue T-shirt hanging on the back of every player's chair.

The front of the shirt read, "Goal: 162+" and underneath that "(No Excuses)." On the back it said, "PROVE THEM WRONG."

For the players, it seemed to be a clear statement of their focus this season.

"That's it -- we just have to prove everybody wrong," Justin Morneau said of the shirt's message. "No one is picking us to win [the American League Central]. Look what Detroit added, they got better after having a good year. Cleveland is going to be good again. Kansas City is going to be a lot better -- they are going to surprise some people. Chicago has that lineup and that ballpark and they can hit with anybody. I think it's going to be a battle. But no one really ever picks us to win."

I've yet to see any predictions that didn't include the twinkies as contending for the division. I hate these lame motivational moves.

Edited by The Ginger Kid

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 07:53 PM)
This made me laugh.

I've yet to see any predictions that didn't include the twinkies as contending for the division. I hate these lame motivational moves.

...most places are picking them as the contender to win.

I will go to a Twins game, to tell him he is stupid.

Looks like they definitely made the place left handed hitter friendly, no surprise. It looks like it could just generally be a hitter friendly ballpark though (just particularly to RF), although it's impossible to say just by looking at the dimensions. You never know how the ball will carry, how the place plays day vs. night, how the wind currents tend to blow/how strong they are/how much of an effect they have, etc. Will be interesting to find out.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
Looks like they definitely made the place left handed hitter friendly, no surprise. It looks like it could just generally be a hitter friendly ballpark though (just particularly to RF), although it's impossible to say just by looking at the dimensions. You never know how the ball will carry, how the place plays day vs. night, how the wind currents tend to blow/how strong they are/how much of an effect they have, etc. Will be interesting to find out.

I'd laugh so hard if the wind made the balls to RF die.

QUOTE (SockMe @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 11:20 PM)
when I saw that stadium I thought PNC Park.

the Twins brass visited a few ballparks when they were coming up with the design. If I remember the newspaper articles from that time, PNC and Petco are major influences on Target Field. But, the Twins really wanted to make it their own, not a copy or homage to another ballpark.

One thing the Target Field area will have is bars and restaurants. A popular restaurant called Huberts is moving from their current location to Target Center and taking over the NBA City restaurant. Target Center is right down the road from Target Field. There are already a couple of establishments right next to the ballpark.

Its seems like its going to be a lot better than the Metrodome setup where there was the one bar kitty corner from the Dome and everything else a healthy walking distance or a short cab ride away

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 12:39 PM)
Its in Minneapolis - anything they did that didn't involve a roof is going to be freezing in April.

Yeah. But, it's like Cleveland - in so much that it looks like there is no solid way to block blowing winds.

I went to Jacobs/Progressive Field a few years ago for a game in May. They had chain link fence as their stadium outer wall and concourse area. You'd buy hot food from a stand and it was cold before you reached your seat.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
Jim, the place looks like it's going to be freezing in April.

Im not planning on going to any games in April :P

but, if I had the chance, I'll bundle up and enjoy it. I have never watched a MLB outdoors. All the games I have attended has been in the Dome

I guess they built into the stadium warming areas. I guess you can see the game action pretty good from these places. And some of the seats are heated (I imagine those are for the premium season ticket holders)

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 11:48 AM)
Yeah. But, it's like Cleveland - in so much that it looks like there is no solid way to block blowing winds.

I went to Jacobs/Progressive Field a few years ago for a game in May. They had chain link fence as their stadium outer wall and concourse area. You'd buy hot food from a stand and it was cold before you reached your seat.

I don't understand chain link fences at MLB stadiums. They had/have that at Kaufmann, and it just looks bad.