8.8 Earthquake Hits Chile

G&T

SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) — Chile's government says 76 people are confirmed dead in a giant earthquake that has collapsed buildings and set off a tsunami.

The death toll comes from the deputy interior minister, Patricio Rosende. His boss, Edmundo Perez Yoma says: "the death toll will continue rising."

The magnitude-8.8 earthquake has caused a huge wave that reached a populated area in the Robinson Crusoe Islands off the Chilean coast. Tsunami warnings have been issued over a wide area, including South America, Hawaii, Australia and New Zealand, Japan, the Philippines, Russia and many Pacific islands.

The earthquake struck early Saturday.

Trib

Tsunami to hit Hawaii, though, how big will be remains to be seen:

Hawaii under tsunami warning after 8.8-magnitude quake off Chile. Sirens to sound at 6am. Expected Hawaii arrival 11:19am

Twitter

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center also said a tsunami advisory was in effect for the coast of California and an Alaskan coastal island area from Kodiak to Attu.

The center says a tsunami has been generated that could cause damage along coastlines of all islands in the Hawaii. It said a tsunami in California and Alaska was possible.

The Ewa Beach, Hawaii-based tsunami center says the first waves are expected to arrive at 11:19 a.m. Saturday (4:19 p.m. EST).

The center called for "urgent action to protect lives and property" in Hawaii, which is among 53 nations and territories subject to tsunami warnings.

The largest earthquake ever recorded struck the same area of Chile in 1960. The deadly wave that it caused raced across the Pacific and hit the Hilo area of the Big Island, where 61 people were killed.

Foxnews

CNN is reporting that the tsunami will be about 10-12 feet high in Hawaii.

Edited by G&T

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (G&T @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 06:09 AM)
Trib

Tsunami to hit Hawaii, though, how big will be remains to be seen:

Twitter

Foxnews

CNN is reporting that the tsunami will be about 10-12 feet high in Hawaii.

I just watched the History Channel special about the 1960 Chile earthquake within the last week. Many of the same cities in that are the same cities in this one. Preliminary reports sound much more positive as their building codes are much tougher than a place like Haiti.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 09:55 AM)
Hey Balta, any chance the Haiti earthquake had anything to do with this?

Absolutely zero. These things simply happen.

The Haiti one wasn't, on magnitude, all that large. This one is particularly large. But there hasn't been anything this large since Sumatra in 2005. Ones this large happen every 5-10 years or so. Ones as large as Haiti happen 10x+ per year. There was one in Southern Japan the other day that was as large as Haiti, but no one really cared about it because it was a rural area and it didn't hurt that many people.

What has happened over the last 30-40 years to make these disastrous ones seem more common is the proliferation of population, often in rural areas. Especially since population tends to follow water sources...which tend to follow fault lines, so you wind up with more events that are killing a lot of people than you had 30-40 years ago.

Balta seriously...are we about to have an epic world disaster? I will have to go down my bucket list quickly today...

1. Take a bath in nacho cheese with girlfriend.

2. Take a bath in nacho cheese with girl who is not girlfriend.

3. Feed Kenny Williams a nacho.

4. Meet the president.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 11:56 AM)
People in Hawaii are stocking up on supplies, lol. The waves will not hit for over three hours, and they won't be anything like those of the Tsunami of 2004.

COUNTDOWN -- 3 HOURS UNTIL DEVASTATION

I guess it's easy to laugh in the comfort of your home in Palos Heights but do you really think you'd blow off this warning if you lived on an oceanfront property in Honolulu?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 12:00 PM)
I guess it's easy to laugh in the comfort of your home in Palos Heights but do you really think you'd blow off this warning if you lived on an oceanfront property in Honolulu?

The warning suggests for people to move inland, not stock up on supplies to anticipate the apocalypse.

Oh, but I know, "who knows how much damage will occur or whether their homes will be remaining."

3 HOURS UNTIL DEVASTATION

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 12:06 PM)
The warning suggests for people to move inland, not stock up on supplies to anticipate the apocalypse.

And if it turns out worse than expected they don't have the luxury of driving out to some far suburb for supplies. They're on a island....in the middle of the ocean....thousands of miles away from other places.

Damn, my cousin is studying abroad in Chile, but I think she was spending the weekend far down south where theres penguins or whatever so she probably avoided the brunt of the quake. Looking at all the of the bridge damage, looks like its gonna be tough getting around far distances down there.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
Perhaps the smarter people around here could enlighten me, but from Chile to Hawaii seems like a REAL long distance for a tsunami to travel.

Actually, a tsunami is kind of like a ever-increasing wave that continues to get bigger.... bigger.... bigger.... BIGGER... BIIIIIIGGGGGER until it runs out of water when it hits a shore.

That's how a tsunami travels across an ocean and why places as far off as Japan and Russia has tsunami warnings.

For example, in the 2004 tsunami, it started after an ocean earthquake, I believe, near the sundra trench, and what began as a wave, a vibration in the water, kept rippling away from the epicenter and as it kept rippling away the ripples get bigger and bigger as it travels on water over a long distance until that initial ripple becomes a big gigantic monster wave of a tsunami that devastates everything in it's path. Which is what hit Thailand, etc.

I hope Japan and Russia doesn't take much damage, they might get tsunamis worse than what will hit Hawaii, because the tsunami will build up even more over an even longer distance.