8.8 Earthquake Hits Chile

G&T

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)
Because you can take your supplies up-slope with you. As long as you're >30 feet above sea level, anything you take is pretty much safe. Mauna Kea, for example, rises 14,000 feet. So you're in pretty good shape.

I'm sure. I was just making a general observation, not asking a real question.

Geez. Look at those morons watching the waves come in on the webcam.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 05:12 PM)
I can't find anything on google news either, except that they were expecting two to three feet surge in Ventura.

In most areas there tends to be a pretty steep sea-wall between most of the houses and the ocean, but there are some areas where it's a little bit flatter or where there's something like a beach-structure or a parking lot or a shopping place along the shore that I could see being affected by a couple feet, if it hit at high tide.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 06:36 PM)
the tsunami was a total bust

Insensitive ass. Grow up. :P

Well, if I was on that island I'd have a whole lot more money with me right now, seeing as that I wouldn't have spent it hording food and gasoline.

Although it was funny watching cable news networks trying to will the tsunami waves on shore. Anyone on this forum (who doesn't live on the island) that didn't have a part of them wanting to see a surge of water pummel Hawaii is lying. No one innocent would have died (you'd probably have a few surfers, beach stragglers to contend with). You were all sitting next to your tv at 3pm like me anticipating it. Nowwww here comes the comments suggesting how I'm wrong :D

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 06:54 PM)
Insensitive ass. Grow up. :P

Well, if I was on that island I'd have a whole lot more money with me right now, seeing as that I wouldn't have spent it hording food and gasoline.

Although it was funny watching cable news networks trying to will the tsunami waves on shore. Anyone on this forum (who doesn't live on the island) that didn't have a part of them wanting to see a surge of water pummel Hawaii is lying. No one innocent would have died (you'd probably have a few surfers, beach stragglers to contend with). You were all sitting next to your tv at 3pm like me anticipating it. Nowwww here comes the comments suggesting how I'm wrong :D

Conversation with Parents

Me: So, why do you want to see Hawaii possibly get flooded and destroyed?

Parents: It's the news!

im here right now. In Kaluai. Outstanding prep job done by everyone. (hotels, emergency response, governor, etc) I've never seen everyone so calm during the sh*tstorm, I was convinced was coming.

Landed last night. Woke up at 4am, ran around the hotel trying to buy every bottle of water/food that I could. I was convinced we were going to be evacuated to shelter.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 06:54 PM)

^^^^^^^^^^^^

The cable news networks must be pissed. they wanted "the money shot" of a live tsunami destroying ocean front property. They got.... tiny waves.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 05:31 PM)
im here right now. In Kaluai. Outstanding prep job done by everyone. (hotels, emergency response, governor, etc) I've never seen everyone so calm during the sh*tstorm, I was convinced was coming.

This. Thx for the thoughts too.

Kailua?

Chile Earthquake May Have Shortened Days on Earth

he massive 8.8 earthquake that struck Chile may have changed the entire Earth's rotation and shortened the length of days on our planet, a NASA scientist said Monday.

The quake, the seventh strongest earthquake in recorded history, hit Chile Saturday and should have shortened the length of an Earth day by 1.26 milliseconds, according to research scientist Richard Gross at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

"Perhaps more impressive is how much the quake shifted Earth's axis," NASA officials said in a Monday update.

The computer model used by Gross and his colleagues to determine the effects of the Chile earthquake effect also found that it should have moved Earth's figure axis by about 3 inches (8 cm or 27 milliarcseconds).

The Earth's figure axis is not the same as its north-south axis, which it spins around once every day at a speed of about 1,000 mph (1,604 kph).

The figure axis is the axis around which the Earth's mass is balanced. It is offset from the Earth's north-south axis by about 33 feet (10 meters).

Strong earthquakes have altered Earth's days and its axis in the past. The 9.1 Sumatran earthquake in 2004, which set off a deadly tsunami, should have shortened Earth's days by 6.8 microseconds and shifted its axis by about 2.76 inches (7 cm, or 2.32 milliarcseconds).

Haitian family flees after earthquake. To Chile.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100304/ap_on_...ke_twice_cursed

SAN BERNARDO, Chile – The Desarmes family left their native Haiti two weeks after the devastating Jan. 12 earthquake, joining the eldest son in Chile for what seemed a refuge from the fear and chaos of Port-au-Prince.

Their sense of security lasted barely a month. It was shattered at 3:43 a.m. Saturday when one of the most powerful quakes on record shook a swath of Chile.

All the Desarmes' immediate family survived both quakes. But twice cursed, the family now sleeps in the garden of a home that the eldest son, Pierre Desarmes, found for them just south of the Chilean capital of Santiago. They fear yet another temblor will strike.

"I left my country and came here because of an earthquake," Seraphin Philomene, a 21-year-old student and cousin of Desarmes, said Wednesday. "And here, the same thing!"

"My God, I left my country and I didn't die, but I'm going to die here!"

Pierre Desarmes, 34, managed to get his family out of Haiti thanks to personal contacts at the Chilean Embassy in Port-au-Prince and the Chilean armed forces. Nine members of his family — his parents, two brothers and their families, and three cousins — arrived in Santiago on a Chilean air force plane Jan. 23.

Desarmes, the lead singer of a popular Haitian reggaeton band in Chile, still gets choked up when he recalls seeing his family for the first time stepping off the plane.

"I saw them but I didn't believe it. I said, 'My God, they're here.' It was a very difficult moment," he said, speaking in French in the garden of the house the family now calls home.