City Police Vehicles...Why the f***?...

shipps

Nothing like reading a thread full of arm chair quarterbacking opinions on how a Police force should function, perform their dangerous jobs, how they should look, dress, talk, what they should and shouldn't drive, etc., and how everything they do should be done and done better.

And I'd guess 1% of you know what the hell you're talking about.

My brothers a cop.

My brother in law is a cop.

His father is a cop.

His fathers father was a cop.

My friends father was a cop.

My neighbors are all cops.

Friends are cops.

And I'd say I still know next to nothing about what it is they go through, and I hear about the latest stories every single day of my life.

As for the new Tahoe's...my brother has been a cop for more than 10 years, and has yet to drive in one.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 10:56 AM)
Nothing like reading a thread full of arm chair quarterbacking opinions on how a Police force should function, perform their dangerous jobs, how they should look, dress, talk, what they should and shouldn't drive, etc., and how everything they do should be done and done better.

My brothers a cop.

His father is a cop.

Friends are cops.

And I'd say I still know next to nothing about what it is they go through, and I hear about the latest stories every single day of my life.

As for the new Tahoe's...my brother has been a cop for more than 10 years, and has yet to drive in one.

1. You shouldn't assume that people don't know what they are talking about.

2. I think its interesting that a poster who has repeatedly railed about government spending, doesn't want to see a lens put on a government agency and how it uses money. Police are, for the most part, funded by taxpayer dollars, and therefor the taxpayers can and should have some say in the way they conduct business.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
1. You shouldn't assume that people don't know what they are talking about.

2. I think its interesting that a poster who has repeatedly railed about government spending, doesn't want to see a lens put on a government agency and how it uses money. Police are, for the most part, funded by taxpayer dollars, and therefor the taxpayers can and should have some say in the way they conduct business.

1) I said 99% of you don't have a clue...and that remains true. Most have no idea how the Police department operates or why and what they're dealing with on a daily basis. You only know what you've read in papers or heard the Mayor tell you second hand. The other 1% of you know someone IN the department, and have some sort of idea how it actually works so what I said doesn't apply to you in that case.

2) Police are underfunded by taxpayer dollars, if anything. They have no contract, and haven't for years. They're understaffed to an unsafe level, which is why most on nights are solo now, yes, they're riding solo...at night, in dangerous neighborhoods. That's really safe. And I agree taxpayers should have some say in the way they conduct business, if they care to educate themselves how the department actually works so they can have a valid opinion on the matter.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
The other 1% of you know someone IN the department, and have some sort of idea how it actually works so what I said doesn't apply to you in that case.

Yay! I feel special! I know more than some about law enforcment (hell I'm basically a rent-a-cop right now. Grew up hating cops, and now its a possibility I'm becomming one.) But there's alot of "bulls***" (I'll say nicely) in closed doors that makes me question whether to pursue it also. I'm not gonna change this thread though from the vehicles standpoint.

Edited by SoxAce

My brothers a cop.

His father is a cop.

Friends are cops.

Did this remind anyone else of Marisa Tomei's courtroom scene in My Cousin Vinny?

My segway comment was a joke.

I think Tesla Roadster's would be fantastic for police, since it would cut down on gas.

And there are plenty of bad cop drivers...ones that swerve, run red lights by turning their lights on then right off, and in Anaheim I literally saw a train of policeman do a U-turn in a no u-turn area...without their lights on...and one sticking his head out the window laughing...

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 07:41 PM)

I think Tesla Roadster's would be fantastic for police, since it would cut down on gas.

And there are plenty of bad cop drivers...ones that swerve, run red lights by turning their lights on then right off, and in Anaheim I literally saw a train of policeman do a U-turn in a no u-turn area...without their lights on...and one sticking his head out the window laughing...

sshh you're not one of the 1% that knows about danger

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 2, 2010 -> 07:41 PM)

Police that do that have some issues, as they shouldn't be breaking the law. I have no sympathy for cops that abuse their authority or break laws just because "they think they can".

I have plenty of gripes about how the Chicago Police Force is run from the top down, and the purchasing of some new SUVs is one of the least important things on the list.

It's akin to complaining that the floors at McDonalds were dirty, but ignoring the fact you got food poisoning from the burgers.

I guess I should have just done a ton of research on the CPD before I post a random thought on a message board cause it just makes me look stup....oh yeah....it is just a message board and I have yet to see a foremost expert in this thread so I will carry on...

those Tahoes are bull s***...

Well i'm tyring to become a cop.... but until then I have no real input :)

excet that my father is a cop.... etc.

But in regards to police veh in my area

Nassau/Suffolk: There are almost no suvs in Nassau or suffolk (almost all malibu's/impala's & still some crown vic's/grand marquis)

NYC: Few suvs, but scooters are becoming more of the norm (esp in the congested areas- manhattan (mid-town), flushing etc.

QUOTE (Be Good @ Mar 4, 2010 -> 11:30 PM)
Well i'm tyring to become a cop.... but until then I have no real input :)

excet that my father is a cop.... etc.

But in regards to police veh in my area

Nassau/Suffolk: There are almost no suvs in Nassau or suffolk (almost all malibu's/impala's & still some crown vic's/grand marquis)

NYC: Few suvs, but scooters are becoming more of the norm (esp in the congested areas- manhattan (mid-town), flushing etc.

Jesus, I haven't seen you around in awhile. :drink