The Big Board!

JPN366

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 07:56 AM)
Most guys hit AAA when they're what, 23ish?

Depends on lots of things of course, not the least of which is when they were drafted. Then there's the obvious issues of both talen/skills, and performance. And position. And how much playing experience they had prior to entering the system. And who is in front of them or behind them at their position.

Makes it really hard to peg an age, though I'd suspect its around 22 for high school draftees, and 24-25 for college draftees, for an average.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 09:12 AM)
Depends on lots of things of course, not the least of which is when they were drafted. Then there's the obvious issues of both talen/skills, and performance. And position. And how much playing experience they had prior to entering the system. And who is in front of them or behind them at their position.

Makes it really hard to peg an age, though I'd suspect its around 22 for high school draftees, and 24-25 for college draftees, for an average.

Basically, my point is...even if he winds up repeating AAA next year, he'd still be on the young side for AAA, turning 22 in training camp next year.

I was impressed by him in 2009. The Southern League is one of the toughest leagues in the minors. It washes out a lot of guys. 280, 12 and 78 is nothing to sneeze at for a 20 year old in the AA Southern League. Better plate discipline would make him an unstoppable force. That's the main thing he needs work on. If you want an example, check out the path to the majors Kendry Morales took.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 12:14 AM)
Scenario, I know you LOVE prospects, but saying he "deserves" a promotion is ridiculous. He doesn't deserve a damn thing. Take away his worst month and his numbers look better? Well you could say that about ANYBODY. How about I take away his best month (July)? Then his numbers look even more pedestrian. I will concede that he was very young for AA. He obviously wasn't as advanced as some, mainly his agent, made him out to be. It's also obvious that he's not, nor was he ever, going to stick at 3B. So it's even more imperative that he rakes. And his power numbers last year were abysmal. Now I'm hardly giving up on the kid. But it seems to me the organization is trying to justify the 10 million dollar investment more so than actually believing he's worthy of AAA. But we shall see. I'm no doubt cheering for the kid. But we have to see substantial improvement this year or that evil "B" word that all prospects fear will start hovering over this kid's head.

Nah. I love minor league baseball... but I do not fall in love with prospects... and it doesn't distort my view of their talent and chances of making the majors.

But saying that taking away his first month of playing baseball outside of Cuba is the same as taking away some other player's random worst month of a season?? Please.

He is now only beginning his second year of baseball in the US... he just turned 21... and people are ready (and itching) to label him a bust?? Just seems way too anxious to me.

I think his biggest 'problem' is that alot of fans are looking at what he got paid and expecting instant results. Maybe it's just that were not used to signing bigger budget prospects like other teams do.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
And his first month away from home, in a place where he doesn't speak the language, or understand the culture.

I would suspect that the game is played differently in the US than in Cuba as well. All in all there were a LOT of adjustments that he had to make in his transition to the US, and his performance in May-Sept is probably much more indicative of his abilities than his April numbers, especially considering the sample size.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 09:20 PM)
I would suspect that the game is played differently in the US than in Cuba as well. All in all there were a LOT of adjustments that he had to make in his transition to the US, and his performance in May-Sept is probably much more indicative of his abilities than his April numbers, especially considering the sample size.

He's a good kid, people need to show some patience.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 08:20 PM)

I worked as a person who aided in the transition for kids starting their freshmen year of college, and I know how much that messed up some kids. Multiply that times 10 in the case of someone like Viciedo, and remember that he is very close to the same age.

IF he spends both this year and next year in AAA and we're still talking about him stagnating next year...that's when I start agreeing we have an issue. Not beforehand.

Not to mention 3/4 of that contract spent already, not saying wasted yet. Sorry correct myself, 4M is the signing bonus. I am down on him siwtching over to Boras. He hasn´t proven anything yet for him to switch to the Dark Side yet.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 12:34 AM)
Not to mention 3/4 of that contract spent already

His 10m contract was for 4 yrs i believe but when he makes it to the majors we still have him for several arbitration years so it's not like he's just gone after those 4 yrs are over.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 03:34 AM)
Not to mention 3/4 of that contract spent already, not saying wasted yet. Sorry correct myself, 4M is the signing bonus. I am down on him siwtching over to Boras. He hasn´t proven anything yet for him to switch to the Dark Side yet.

One thing you've got to admit about Boras though...if He's representing Viciedo...that means that Boras thinks he'll be worth representing too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
One thing you've got to admit about Boras though...if He's representing Viciedo...that means that Boras thinks he'll be worth representing too.

Dayan has amazing raw power. Once he has it harnessed, watch out.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 08:54 AM)
Yeah, he was traded to New York for what, I don't know. They had to make room in Charlotte for Wilson Betemit.

Well, I guess this answers the questions you had previously about who would play 3B in Charlotte.

So now Charlotte would be:

C: Flowers

1B: Viciedo

2B: Retherford

SS: Lillibridge

3B: Colina

OF/DH rotation: Gartrell/De Aza/Danks/Kroeger

The rotation, I still have no idea - some five of Hudson, Marquez, Harrell (might go to pen), Hynick, Whisler (might go to pen), Torres (might go to pen), McCulloch.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 30, 2010 -> 08:59 AM)
Well, I guess this answers the questions you had previously about who would play 3B in Charlotte.

So now Charlotte would be:

C: Flowers

1B: Viciedo

2B: Retherford

SS: Lillibridge

3B: Colina

OF/DH rotation: Gartrell/De Aza/Danks/Kroeger

The rotation, I still have no idea - some five of Hudson, Marquez, Harrell (might go to pen), Hynick, Whisler (might go to pen), Torres (might go to pen), McCulloch.

Colina and Castillo would definitely split time at third, and would split time at first if Viciedo is playing third.