Miguel Cabrera

knightni

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 07:39 PM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-t...p&type=lgns

This is not good. The first step towards sobriety is admitting that you have a problem.

Well he did admit it was becoming a problem and stopped drinking.

I think maybe he is just uncomfortable with being termed an "alcoholic."

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 07:48 PM)
Well he did admit it was becoming a problem and stopped drinking.

I think maybe he is just uncomfortable with being termed an "alcoholic."

“I don’t know how to explain, but it’s not an alcohol problem.”

The Tigers outed him after Dombrowski had to bail him out of jail. He never quit of his own volition.

He needs AA at least.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 06:50 PM)
“I don’t know how to explain, but it’s not an alcohol problem.”

The Tigers outed him after Dombrowski had to bail him out of jail. He never quit of his own volition.

He needs AA at least.

?

No one forced him to stop drinking.

He did quit of his own volition. He hasn't had a drink in 4.5 months. What do you want him to do? AA is not for everyone. He quit drinking. Isn't that that end that AA is the means for?

The guy spent 3 months in a Florida treatment clinic, but he still denies that alcohol is an issue.

Detroit thinks it is; otherwise, why would they have a program set up for him while he's in Spring Training?

Hopefully, this program helps him with the addiction that he's denying.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 06:57 PM)
?

No one forced him to stop drinking.

He did quit of his own volition. He hasn't had a drink in 4.5 months. What do you want him to do? AA is not for everyone. He quit drinking. Isn't that that end that AA is the means for?

No, not really. Its not just about stopping. Its about staying stopped, and learning to live a full life without it.

Good luck to Cabrera (and Jenks for that matter), but staying stopped can be difficult if you refuse to admit you even have a problem. If its not a problem, what's one or two gonna hurt? Then one or two become many, and next thing you know you end up in jail during a crucial series.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 09:07 PM)
He's probably not an alchoholic... if your ever out with buddies at a bar and don't get drink (Unless your really an alchy who drinks everyday socially/alone or just get dumb everytime u drink), you got a problem.

Or goes out and gets wasted before important days at work with your direct competition?

I'm sorry guys, but we don't have NEARLY enough information about Miguel Cabrera's drinking habits to anoint him as an alcoholic. We know of one story where the guy was out boozing a bit later than he should have been before an important game. That may simply be an error in judgment, not a symptom of a disease.

Yes, he also had an altercation with his wife, which is certainly not acceptable either. But I know a lot of guys who have gone out and had a few too many and then come home and argued with their wives. That makes them idiots, but not necessarily alcoholics.

A lot of baseball players, especially latin or south american ballplayers, have not grown up in the best of situations and so they don't always know how to handle the money, fame, women, success that comes with their talents. Do they f*** up sometimes once they are put in that situation? Yes. Do they abuse their sudden popularity and wealth sometimes? Yes. Do they maybe think they are invincible because they have so much talent that they are able to do things most normal people would die to be able to do? Yes.

So they are immediately branded an alcoholic once they do something stupid and alcohol is involved? I'm sorry, I am just not so quick to judge. I'd love to see the collection of alcoholics we have among us here, if that criteria is so easily fulfilled.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 09:54 PM)
I'm sorry guys, but we don't have NEARLY enough information about Miguel Cabrera's drinking habits to anoint him as an alcoholic. We know of one story where the guy was out boozing a bit later than he shouldn't have been before an important game. That may simply be an error in judgment, not a symptom of a disease.

Yes, he also had an altercation with his wife, which is certainly not acceptable either. But I know a lot of guys who have gone out and had a few too many and then come home and argued with their wives. That makes them idiots, but not necessarily alcoholics.

A lot of baseball players, especially latin or south american ballplayers, have not grown up in the best of situations and so they don't always know how to handle the money, fame, women, success that comes with their talents. Do they f*** up sometimes once they are put in that situation? Yes. Do they abuse their sudden popularity and wealth sometimes? Yes. Do they maybe think they are invincible because they have so much talent that they are able to do things most normal people would die to be able to do? Yes.

So they are immediately branded an alcoholic once they do something stupid and alcohol is involved? I'm sorry, I am just not so quick to judge. I'd love to see the collection of alcoholics we have among us here, if that criteria is so easily fulfilled.

I am pretty sure it has been more than once that has been reported. We have no idea what else has happened.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 09:55 PM)
I am pretty sure it has been more than once that has been reported. We have no idea what else has happened.

And yet you brand him an alcoholic.

The guy has not had a drink in 4.5 months. I think that is something to applaud him for.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 10:54 PM)
He has a problem with alcohol and he checked himself into a three month rehab stint and you don't see it? Nevermind, I am walking away early.

Mike, he said he has a problem with alcohol. He checked himself into a rehab facility.

You honestly believe that makes him an alcoholic? By default?

I dunno, I know the term is used really loosely now in clinical circles, but if that is the definition that applies, then this country is absolutely overrun by alcoholics. And this nation was built by alcoholics. And is currently run by alcoholics.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 10:54 PM)
I'm sorry guys, but we don't have NEARLY enough information about Miguel Cabrera's drinking habits to anoint him as an alcoholic. We know of one story where the guy was out boozing a bit later than he should have been before an important game. That may simply be an error in judgment, not a symptom of a disease.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75831

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 1, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
Mike, he said he has a problem with alcohol. He checked himself into a rehab facility.

You honestly believe that makes him an alcoholic? By default?

I dunno, I know the term is used really loosely now in clinical circles, but if that is the definition that applies, then this country is absolutely overrun by alcoholics. And this nation was built by alcoholics. And is currently run by alcoholics.

The country is absolutely overrun with people who have such bad alcohol problems that it interferes with their work and they have to spend three months in a clinic? Really?