Finding jeans that fit right

SouthsideDon48

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There should be a law against the sale of jeans in excess of $35/pair, which is what I pay for Levi's on sale. I like nice clothes and the occasional nice label (and I'm really not as cheap as I probably sound), but I just can't rationalize paying more than that for different stitching on the back pockets. Personally, I've never been able to discern any other difference in the more expensive pairs.

Of course, I am old and fairly crotchety.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
There should be a law against the sale of jeans in excess of $35/pair, which is what I pay for Levi's on sale. I like nice clothes and the occasional nice label (and I'm really not as cheap as I probably sound), but I just can't rationalize paying more than that for different stitching on the back pockets. Personally, I've never been able to discern any other difference in the more expensive pairs.

Of course, I am old and fairly crotchety.

I don't really pay that much for jeans...Usually 50 or less. I like Tommy H, Lucky, DKNY, and a few others. I'll splurge on a nice pair if I can get em on sale....there is a difference in fit and feel. It's all personal taste.

Some people won't blink at spending $500-1000 on a suit, that they will wear maybe once a year to a wedding or a funeral, so why wouldnt they spend 100 bucks on a good pair of jeans that they will actually use. I'm not saying these are the jeans you wear daily and work in, but if you go out every so often...you will get your moneys worth on the jeans, way more than you will the suit you bought. (excluding business people that wear suits)

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)
I don't really pay that much for jeans...Usually 50 or less. I like Tommy H, Lucky, DKNY, and a few others. I'll splurge on a nice pair if I can get em on sale....there is a difference in fit and feel. It's all personal taste.

Some people won't blink at spending $500-1000 on a suit, that they will wear maybe once a year to a wedding or a funeral, so why wouldnt they spend 100 bucks on a good pair of jeans that they will actually use. I'm not saying these are the jeans you wear daily and work in, but if you go out every so often...you will get your moneys worth on the jeans, way more than you will the suit you bought. (excluding business people that wear suits)

I didn't intend to sound critical of anyone else's tastes, I was just stating my own. If something makes you look good and (maybe more importantly) feel good, then that's no concern of mine.

Suits, however, I can understand a little better (although the prices you quote for suits and jeans are both out of my league). At upwards of $500, they are usually custom altered and made of finer materials with higher thread counts, etc. I am not that familiar with higher end jeans, but I thought all denim was pretty much made from the same cotton. Besides, I can usually tell a "cheap suit" from the frontal view, without having to check out somebody's ass.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
I didn't intend to sound critical of anyone else's tastes, I was just stating my own. If something makes you look good and (maybe more importantly) feel good, then that's no concern of mine.

Suits, however, I can understand a little better (although the prices you quote for suits and jeans are both out of my league). At upwards of $500, they are usually custom tailored and made of finer materials with higher thread counts, etc. I am not that familiar with higher end jeans, but I thought all denim was pretty much made from the same cotton. Besides, I can usually tell a "cheap suit" from the frontal view, without having to check out somebody's ass.

Not all designed jeans are of high quality, but there is a definite difference in quality and longevity between lower end jeans (old navy) and some quality levi's, lucky's etc.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 3, 2010 -> 02:15 PM)
Something to do with happy endings I think.

Or happy beginnings.

Head shops to answer a question, at least back in the day, were sort of a counterculture store where you could get drug paraphernalia, records, underground comic books and yes, even clothing.