The 2010 DH Slot -- What it is, what it isn't

CyAcosta41

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 12:49 AM)
Yeah but there's plenty of good hitters to be dh'ing, they don't need to be 30+ homer guys but a decent hitter would sure be nice. For the first time in my life, I agree with quick, if Jones doesn't magically get back to what he was 4 years ago than the dh(or wherever the hell this extra player will be hitting) will be a miserable failure, I don't see how that's even arguable at this point.

I don't see you you don't think it's arguable. You and soxfan101 are going to have to then define "miserable failure" for me. I'd like to know what your idea of that is.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 12:52 AM)
Meh.. I dunno about Kotsay either even in a smaller park (which I wouldn't want him hitting homers anyway, more-so being the gap to gap hitter he's been in his career) perhaps if he gets 600+ PA, probably, though I doubt he will if he and Jones are sharing the duties. I don't think he's hit 15 in what 5-6 years.. Wouldn't want him to though like I said.

You're looking at it the wrong way. The idea is that the DH spot in the order, along with the rest of the lineup, can produce 15+. I was talking about a rate of 15 HRs per 162 game season. Kotsay, by the way, is capable of that and has done that before quite a few times.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 07:26 AM)
You're talking about all the other stuff they have to do. If anything, if you really want to rest your guys, you don't have them take swings in the cage then go take BP and then come to bat 4 times. Its hardly different than playing the field unless you're a catcher or maybe a SS. Its like if someone works out intensely for 2 hours everyday but gives himself the 5 jumping jacks he does at the end of the workout off on Sunday for rest. Its not rest. You're head still has to be in the game, and it may even be more stressful for guys who aren't used to DHing. I could see the point if its a sunny 95 degree day, but just about everyone here has played baseball. It doesn't take much out of you to play the field, especially a corner OF. Considering the type of condition most of these guys are in, its even less of a toll.

But they'll sometimes take the day off from that other stuff, too. Beyond that, I don't know how you can't see that, especially at the professional level, it makes a difference to get a day off from the field even if they hit. I had a couple of conversations about it with Podsednik and he thought it was great when he got to do that. He considered to be a physical and a mental breather.

Sure, if it only happens like twice a season, it may not have an effect. But over the course of a full 6 months when they're playing baseball just about every day, it would make a difference for individual players. It adds up. If they say that's true, I'll take their word for it.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 08:08 PM)
You're looking at it the wrong way. The idea is that the DH spot in the order, along with the rest of the lineup, can produce 15+. I was talking about a rate of 15 HRs per 162 game season.

Thank you for clearing that up. I agree with that.

Kotsay, by the way, is capable of that and has done that before quite a few times.

He's done it 3 times, and like I said, has not done it in about 5-6 years when he was in his prime. The word capable is stretching the reality of things (if he gets 600+ PA, with a smaller park.. he could but thats IF he gets the abs.. and if I were a betting man.. I don't think he will) Hell Gavin Floyd is "capable" of throwing a no hitter every time he takes the mound with his stuff. Doesn't mean he'll do it (or ever do it) ala Mark Buehrle, who anyone here can say.. noone ever thought he would throw a no hitter, nonetheless, a perfect game.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 09:12 PM)
He's done it 3 times, and like I said, has not done it in about 5-6 years when he was in his prime. The word capable is stretching the reality of things (if he gets 600+ PA, with a smaller park.. he could but thats IF he gets the abs.. and if I were a betting man.. I don't think he will) Hell Gavin Floyd is "capable" of throwing a no hitter every time he takes the mound with his stuff. Doesn't mean he'll do it (or ever do it) ala Mark Buehrle, who anyone here can say.. noone ever thought he would throw a no hitter, nonetheless, a perfect game.

True, he hasn't. But he also wasn't getting a starter's playing time, either. In the 6 seasons he played 130+ games, he hit: 11, 8, 12, 17, 15, and 15. And the cell plays like a small park for much of the year, too. I'm not sure he would hit 15 himself if he played everyday, but he along with Jones should easily hit that many...if that is, in fact, how the playing time is split up.

The no-hitter comparison isn't really a good one in that it's a one-time, anomalous event. (The fact Buehrle did it twice is extraordinary). They happen maybe once a year and any starter could do it on any given day. There really isn't any indicator to suggest a guy is going to do it, like there are indications a player could easily hit 15 HRs in a season.

It doesn't have to be just Kotsay and Jones for the situational scenario. They may start at DH and finish in the field. One of the starters may be pinch hit for and some one like Vizquel may lay down a bunt and then move into the Dh spot for the rest of the game, or go to short and put Alexi at Dh for the rest of the game. Ozzie may remove some one for defense ( Konerko for instance ) late in the game put Kotsay at first and Paulie at DH. The flexibility and situational matchups don't end with just Kotsay and Jones. As long as you have guys who play the field the Possibilities exist all through the lineup. Even a pitcher may pinch run and be put in the DH spot and then when his turn to bat comes up be pinch hit for, with the pinch hitter going into the Dh spot and not in the field.

QUOTE (since56 @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 10:56 AM)
It doesn't have to be just Kotsay and Jones for the situational scenario. They may start at DH and finish in the field. One of the starters may be pinch hit for and some one like Vizquel may lay down a bunt and then move into the Dh spot for the rest of the game, or go to short and put Alexi at Dh for the rest of the game. Ozzie may remove some one for defense ( Konerko for instance ) late in the game put Kotsay at first and Paulie at DH. The flexibility and situational matchups don't end with just Kotsay and Jones. As long as you have guys who play the field the Possibilities exist all through the lineup. Even a pitcher may pinch run and be put in the DH spot and then when his turn to bat comes up be pinch hit for, with the pinch hitter going into the Dh spot and not in the field.

Dammit! Why did we trade Clayton Richard!?

Seriously, though, I like the way you think.

QUOTE (since56 @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 07:56 AM)

I may be wrong, but if you move the DH into the field, don't you lose the DH for that game and isn't the pitcher moved into that spot of the order? I remember a game vs. the Twins where Mauer was DH and Redmond was catching. Redmond got hurt, Mauer went behind the plate and the pitcher had to bat.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
I may be wrong, but if you move the DH into the field, don't you lose the DH for that game and isn't the pitcher moved into that spot of the order? I remember a game vs. the Twins where Mauer was DH and Redmond was catching. Redmond got hurt, Mauer went behind the plate and the pitcher had to bat.

Yes, that is the rule. The pitcher would probably go in the spot of the removed fielder.

I think you do have to be careful about not losing the Dh spot through field sustitutions. The point though is the flexibility of mixing and matching can be used through out the lineup and during the game. Not being locked into one player as your Dh can work for the right manager. Earl Weaver used to platoon his Dh, righty, lefty, everytime. Of course we have Ozzie. I guess we will now find out if he can manage. I'm hopeful, but not confident.

Blalock signs with the Rays. We could have used some lefty power and potential backup 1B/3B, and for less than $1M, the Sox should have been all over Hank.

He would have been a solid DH.....

The Rays have signed first baseman Hank Blalock to a minor league contract, reports Jon Heyman of SI.com.

According to Heyman, Blalock will earn a $925,000 base salary if he makes the team plus a chance for $350,000 in performance incentives. The two sides were rumored to be working on a "complicated deal," likely with an out-clause if he doesn't make the majors. Blalock, 29, batted just .234/.277/.459 with the Rangers last season, but managed to slug 25 home runs in 462 at-bats. The lefty-swinging Blalock could be part of a designated hitter platoon with Pat Burrell. Mar. 8 - 9:32 pm et

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter

QUOTE (JDSox @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 11:24 PM)
He would have been a solid DH.....

I don't know about that. Blalock hasn't played more than 124 games in 3 years. He's not even come close to matching the all-star numbers that he put up in '03 and '04 since his shoulder injury. Sure, the HR total was there last year, but that's about it. I think it's basically a wash if you were to ask me if I'd rather have Hank Blalock or a rotating platoon of DH's (Konerko, Kotsay, Jones). You'll get solid L vs R match-ups when Kotsay is in there. Then again, I thought for sure they were going to go after Jack Cust who's basically a Hank Blalock clone with more SO's, so who knows.

QUOTE (RyanPaleAndHosed @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
I don't know about that. Blalock hasn't played more than 124 games in 3 years. He's not even come close to matching the all-star numbers that he put up in '03 and '04 since his shoulder injury. Sure, the HR total was there last year, but that's about it. I think it's basically a wash if you were to ask me if I'd rather have Hank Blalock or a rotating platoon of DH's (Konerko, Kotsay, Jones). You'll get solid L vs R match-ups when Kotsay is in there. Then again, I thought for sure they were going to go after Jack Cust who's basically a Hank Blalock clone with more SO's, so who knows.

Not to mention Cust's #1 quality: drawing walks at an absurd rate. (#1 BB% in baseball over the past 3 seasons)