MLB 10: The Show

Quin

I have simmed a couple of times. What I've noticed. I can't hit a weak slider or changeup, but if a slider has some serious bite, I can knock it out of the park, opposite field almost every time. After ending my first year in AA(which I got called up to AAA, back down to AA, then back up to AAA) the only team to offer me a contract was my current team, the Tigers for a 1 year 80,000 deal. That's wack! Now, I'm just barely meeting my goals, and then dumping all my resources into contact and power.

Quick question, why is it that my team wants me to work on hitting lefties more than righties even though my contact and power are 8 points higher(and counting) than hitting righties.

Also, it sucks that I put 1B as my second position because now the Tigers are keeping me there at the AAA level even though I'm a better fielder at 3B. Also I still can't keep up for the most part with AAA pitching.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
I have simmed a couple of times. What I've noticed. I can't hit a weak slider or changeup, but if a slider has some serious bite, I can knock it out of the park, opposite field almost every time. After ending my first year in AA(which I got called up to AAA, back down to AA, then back up to AAA) the only team to offer me a contract was my current team, the Tigers for a 1 year 80,000 deal. That's wack! Now, I'm just barely meeting my goals, and then dumping all my resources into contact and power.

Quick question, why is it that my team wants me to work on hitting lefties more than righties even though my contact and power are 8 points higher(and counting) than hitting righties.

Also, it sucks that I put 1B as my second position because now the Tigers are keeping me there at the AAA level even though I'm a better fielder at 3B. Also I still can't keep up for the most part with AAA pitching.

Sliders are my bread and butter (when I am expecting them). Change-ups and curveballs kill me.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 06:25 PM)

If you make a right handed hitter, it makes you boost the vs LHP stats more. Also enjoy 1B, you get absurd amounts of training points from all of the putouts.

So I can kill Lincecum, and now Verlander apparently. Maybe I am just getting better at hitting, but Verlander finished with 4 1/3 IP, 7 R, 10 H. I got a HR by Quentin, and 2 triples by AJ. Yes, 2 triples! (We are playing at Comerica, and he is killing that RCF gap.).

I might win my first game ever! I am currently up 7-2 in the 5th.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 06:04 PM)
So I can kill Lincecum, and now Verlander apparently. Maybe I am just getting better at hitting, but Verlander finished with 4 1/3 IP, 7 R, 10 H. I got a HR by Quentin, and 2 triples by AJ. Yes, 2 triples! (We are playing at Comerica, and he is killing that RCF gap.).

I might win my first game ever! I am currently up 7-2 in the 5th.

See I can't score in that game to save my life, but I have no problem holding the CPU to 1 run or less so I always manage to win 1-0, 2-0, or 2-1.

My hitter in RTTS has advanced much quicker. 1st season, I was in AA, hit .324. Played all of my 2nd season at AAA, hit .265 but had 2 different injuries that put me on the DL. Ended the season strong. Got traded in the middle of season 2 from the A's to the Blue Jays. I got offered an MLB contract to be a backup 1B/3B for the Blue Jays to start season 3 so I took it obviously. My first ML hit was a hard hit single the 3B couldn't corral off AJ Burnett.

My contact and power have developed nicely. I'm working my way up to try and become the full-time 1B. For some reason, I can't hit the no-name guys, but I generally do well against the top guys. I slam King Felix and Josh Beckett regularly. And I went 3-4 off CC the only time I've faced him.

I'm becoming very good at hitting, primarily down in the zone. I always guess low fastball, and if it isn't a fastball, I know to wait on the off-speed pitch. My wheelhouse is definitely down. If someone hangs a curveball around the knees, I crush it.

I'm thinking of making a league, let's see if this clears with everyone:

League Name: SoxTalk (figured it's a good name for an online league from here)

Slogan: N/A (Didn't want to put one up yet)

Division Type: Divisional (as opposed to Round Robin)

Division 1: Pale Hose Central

Division 2: The Diamond Club

League Sign-Up: Private (or Public?)

Max Teams: I'd say 14, since we have 13 members on the PSN list.

Min Skill: Veteran (rookie seems a bit cheap..)

Max Skill: Hall of Fame (I'd say that seems like a fair cap)

Playoff Teams: 4 (can have 2,4,6,8)

Games Per Series: 2 (I say its better than 3, since it would cut back on games)

Series Per Div. Opponent: 2

Series Pre Non-Div.: 2

Series Duration: 1 Day

Player Draft: On

Draft Round Timer: I think 30-60 would be good...what should it be?

Draft Day: N/A

Draft Time: N/A

Allow Trades: On

Auto Resolve Games: On

Game Difficult Level: Veteran

Guess Pitch: Default

Strike Zones: On

Hot Zones: On

Injuries: On

Strike Zone: Variable

Ejections: On

Do these seem OK with everyone?

what do people think of online play? i've played 3-4 games at his point. it's pretty choppy at times. in a close game, ill-timed lag will result in a routine out becoming an in the park home run. pitching can also be a pain if the lag hits during your delivery.

My God this game is great. A wonderful full minors roster was released so I finally got to start a season. I tell ya what, feisty, when you put real at bat music in and queue up "Boom" perfectly for Bobby coming in, the s*** seems real.

It's also nice to be able to hold my own at the plate now. It's not like I score 10 runs a game (though I did score 9 last night, TCQ was 1-2 with 2 bbs and a homer, and Andruw Jones of all people pinch hit in the 7th, got a 3 rbi double, and then in the 8th was up again and got another rbi double)... that Indian's bullpen sucks.

It's really a great, great game, and it's nice to just have a batter's eye capable of not striking out every at bat anymore. Kev's suggestion of learning the zone and look of pitches on rookie before going to veteran was definitely the key.

The old stadiums like the Polo Grounds were unlocked if you pre-ordered this. I played last night against the Cubs in the Polo Grounds. AJ hit a 270 foot homer to right to win it. 2-1 win. LMAO

Jake Peavy went 8 innings with 10Ks

I struck out 9 times, but had 9 hits. Still getting used to the base running. I ran myself out of a few golden opportunities.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 08:58 AM)
My God this game is great. A wonderful full minors roster was released so I finally got to start a season. I tell ya what, feisty, when you put real at bat music in and queue up "Boom" perfectly for Bobby coming in, the s*** seems real.

It's also nice to be able to hold my own at the plate now. It's not like I score 10 runs a game (though I did score 9 last night, TCQ was 1-2 with 2 bbs and a homer, and Andruw Jones of all people pinch hit in the 7th, got a 3 rbi double, and then in the 8th was up again and got another rbi double)... that Indian's bullpen sucks.

It's really a great, great game, and it's nice to just have a batter's eye capable of not striking out every at bat anymore. Kev's suggestion of learning the zone and look of pitches on rookie before going to veteran was definitely the key.

Which full minors roster did you use? I was waiting for O.S. Full Minors.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 09:24 AM)
Which full minors roster did you use? I was waiting for O.S. Full Minors.

It was just called Complete+Minors, and I checked and things were mostly accurate. For the big spects, I edited appearance to my liking. I've been following O.S. and it seems like those will never come out, I couldn't wait any longer.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
It was just called Complete+Minors, and I checked and things were mostly accurate. For the big spects, I edited appearance to my liking. I've been following O.S. and it seems like those will never come out, I couldn't wait any longer.

I know the feeling. I have been doing RTTS forever now, I have wanted to start a Franchise but was waiting. I will check out the one you mention and see...it will probably be good enough for me.

I've looked over all my sliders and gameplay settings a few times and everything looks normal but my RTTS player is hitting .430 with an 1.100+ OPS, 18 HR and like 70 RBI going into August in the first year of his career on All-Star difficulty. I have something like a 50 game hitting streak going and I'm no longer receiving points for it, don't know what that's about. I'm not sure I'm actually having fun at this point, there doesn't seem to be much of a challenge it seems that in every RBI opportunity at the very least I'm good for a shot single through the 1B/2B hole.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 01:54 PM)
I've looked over all my sliders and gameplay settings a few times and everything looks normal but my RTTS player is hitting .430 with an 1.100+ OPS, 18 HR and like 70 RBI going into August in the first year of his career on All-Star difficulty. I have something like a 50 game hitting streak going and I'm no longer receiving points for it, don't know what that's about. I'm not sure I'm actually having fun at this point, there doesn't seem to be much of a challenge it seems that in every RBI opportunity at the very least I'm good for a shot single through the 1B/2B hole.

Maybe you need to put down the controller for a bit...

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 04:25 PM)
Maybe you need to put down the controller for a bit...

Eh, about 300 AB, not playing defense (my guy is a 1B so fielding is boring as s***) and only running the bases when I'm the lead runner. That's not a lot of time invested.

I was wrong about a few numbers: only 13 HR and 59 RBI not 18 and 70.

mlb10theshow.th.png (I just figured out I could take a screenshot about a week ago so I have to give it a shot)

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 06:22 PM)
You don't walk at all, huh?

Like 7 times thus far. Luckily I don't strike out much either (about 20 times) if I work it to a 3-1 count and get a fastball at the belt I'm gonna swing and chances are I'm picking up an extra base hit. Also; when you have a 20+ game hit streak going your approach changes a bit, if the ball is over the plate I'm gonna try to put it in a gap somewhere, I'm not going to pass up hittable pitches for the sake of drawing a walk.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 05:32 PM)
Like 7 times thus far. Luckily I don't strike out much either (about 20 times) if I work it to a 3-1 count and get a fastball at the belt I'm gonna swing and chances are I'm picking up an extra base hit. Also; when you have a 20+ game hit streak going your approach changes a bit, if the ball is over the plate I'm gonna try to put it in a gap somewhere, I'm not going to pass up hittable pitches for the sake of drawing a walk.

Juan Pierre loves you.