Big 10 Tournament

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be at Conseco Fieldhouse Thursday and Friday. Either way, I will be there in person to see the fate of the Illinois basketball season sealed, because I think it's pretty cut and dry win and in, lose and out Friday against the Badgers.

As for the tournament, the only team I could see beating Ohio State right now is Wisconsin. I'm hoping they don't get the chance though.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I would have preferred to play Purdue in the second round, but I'm glad we wouldn't have to play Ohio State until the finals. I mean, it's not like we're going to make it past Michigan State anyway, but if we do, I like the potential third round matchup.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 7, 2010 -> 09:56 PM)
I will be at Conseco Fieldhouse Thursday and Friday. Either way, I will be there in person to see the fate of the Illinois basketball season sealed, because I think it's pretty cut and dry win and in, lose and out Friday against the Badgers.

As for the tournament, the only team I could see beating Ohio State right now is Wisconsin. I'm hoping they don't get the chance though.

Wisconsin is a poor matchup for OSU, they could beat them easily if they go through the post.

Wisconsin-OSU is the game Id like to see because it will be the first time both teams are at full strength. (OSU didnt have Turner when Wisconsin beat them, Wisconsin didnt have Leur when OSU beat them.)

First they have to beat Illinois again.

If I had to take bets on the tournament Id say:

MSU- 33%

OSU- 25%

Wisconsin- 25%

Rest of the field- 17%

I think OSU and Wisconsin are the 2 best teams, but MSU has potentially the much easier path having to play a Hummel-less Purdue in the semi's.

The dark horse team may be Minnesota, because if they could beat MSU they'd get the same path.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 11:11 AM)
The dark horse team may be Minnesota, because if they could beat MSU they'd get the same path.

If we had Al Nolen, I might be more optimistic about our chances. As of now, I don't think we have enough to make a run, but stranger things have definitely happened in the past :P

I'm hoping for Wisconsin to beat Ohio State, if only because a Wisconsin/Minnesota title game would be awesome (and winnable for the Gophers).

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 08:46 AM)
Conseco is a great place to see a basketball game if people have never been there. It is 10 times the venue that the UC is.

Yeah I have never been there, was going to go last year for the BTT but had to cancel right before the tournament. I am looking forward to it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
Yeah I have never been there, was going to go last year for the BTT but had to cancel right before the tournament. I am looking forward to it.

They did a great job with giving in an Indiana field house feel, while still being able to get 18k in there for a game. Plus that area of Indy is loaded with stuff to do.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
They did a great job with giving in an Indiana field house feel, while still being able to get 18k in there for a game. Plus that area of Indy is loaded with stuff to do.

Hmm sounds good. I know that area of Indy has a ton to do, and I love the Indiana Fieldhouse feel as I've been to a bunch of games over at Hinkle.

Looks like Chris Allen is out for Michigan State's first game of the Big Ten Tournament for "not meeting responsibilities to his teammates." Assuming the Gophers can beat Penn State, it seems like everything is in place for them to be able to make some sort of run if they play to their ability.

Of course, they're still the Gophers, so we'll probably lose to Penn State with Taylor Battle scoring 30 points.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)
Conseco is an awesome venue.

Also, IU is going to run the table. Just though you should all know.

Actually, its the University of Illinois (UI), not Illinois University (IU), but I like the way you think.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 11, 2010 -> 02:59 PM)
Man, I make sure to watch every B10 tourney game but terrible line-up today. Cully Payne having a day though.

How has Lick not yet corrected that dumb jump passing that Payne does? It took me 5 min to realize that would need to be addressed early in the season and the kid is still doing it.

Gophers tore apart PSU today to set up a second round matchup with MSU. I wouldn't be surprised if we played them close, and I think we could steal a win if things go right, especially with Damian playing pissed off about not making the All-Defensive team.

That perceived snub, which Johnson called "disrespectful" earlier this week, permeated the entire team.

Gophers coach Tubby Smith called it a "travesty."

And when his players arrived at Conseco Fieldhouse on Thursday, they all wore white T-shirts with the word "respect" branded across their chests.

"He didn't make it ... I was looked over as well," said Lawrence Westbrook, who was named an All-Big Ten honorable mention by media and coaches. "I think it was a disgrace that me and him weren't on the list. ... So we both got slapped in the face, I feel."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/87399262.html

That's what I want to hear :) (although Westbrook is kidding himself if he thinks he legitimately deserved making an All-Big Ten team)

Edited by Felix