Big 10 Tournament

3 guards fouled out for one team, laughable. I can't say the refs favored one team or another because Purdue got screwed in the 1st half and Northwestern got screwed in the 2nd, but you won't see a game that was as poorly officiated as that one.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 10:34 PM)
MSU trying their hardest to give the game to Minny at the FT line.

I think we've outplayed them without their help, but the missed free throws certainly are nice.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 11:24 PM)
Not a lock but they will be in with a loss if Duke or Ga Tech win the ACC tourney, UTEP wins Conf USA, Purdue beats Minny, and Utah St. wins their conference.

Gooooooooooooooooo Gophers!

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 11:24 PM)
Not a lock but they will be in with a loss if Duke or Ga Tech win the ACC tourney, UTEP wins Conf USA, Purdue beats Minny, and Utah St. wins their conference.

I think we're ok in the ACC, but i'm worried about those other 3 things. I think Minnesota should be in right now over Illinois since they beat them in Champaign, but fortunately that's not how it works.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 11:26 PM)
I think we're ok in the ACC, but i'm worried about those other 3 things. I think Minnesota should be in right now over Illinois since they beat them in Champaign, but fortunately that's not how it works.

Illinois is lucky we've lost to so many s***ty teams this year. That's the only thing keeping Illinois ahead of us on the bubble.

(s***ty is an exaggeration, but the point stands)

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 12:27 AM)
Illinois is lucky we've lost to so many s***ty teams this year. That's the only thing keeping Illinois ahead of us on the bubble.

(s***ty is an exaggeration, but the point stands)

Umm, you do realize the Illini played and lost to s***ty teams too?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 12:26 AM)

Minny has less quality wins and more bad losses than Illinois. They also finished lower in the conference. They really don't have a strong argument at all to be in over Illinois.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 11:30 PM)
Minny has less quality wins and more bad losses than Illinois. They also finished lower in the conference. They really don't have a strong argument at all to be in over Illinois.

Illinois definitely has more quality wins (quality wins are the only reason they are close), but I still look and see two teams with similar conference and overall records, a few really bad losses (although Minnesota has more, I think?) and a head to head game in which the road team from Minnesota won. It's possible they'll both get in though, even if they both lose tomorrow that could be feasible actually.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)
Umm, you do realize the Illini played and lost to s***ty teams too?

Illinois bad losses: neutral vs Utah, neutral vs Bradley, @ Georgia

Minnesota bad losses: @ Indiana, @ Michigan, Michigan, neutral vs Portland, @ Miami

If you want, you can include losses at NU for both teams, but I don't think there's much of a doubt that Minnesota has had worse losses than Illinois.

Edited by Felix

One thing is for sure is that neither team can blame anybody but themselves if they don't get in. I haven't seen Minnesota as much as Illinois this year, and they've certainly had worse luck with losing players, but from what I have seen, they seem comparable in that they just have some easily avoidable losses which are the only reason they are even on the bubble in the first place.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 11:40 PM)
One thing is for sure is that neither team can blame anybody but themselves if they don't get in. I haven't seen Minnesota as much as Illinois this year, and they've certainly had worse luck with losing players, but from what I have seen, they seem comparable in that they just have some easily avoidable losses which are the only reason they are even on the bubble in the first place.

We lost to both Purdue and Michigan State at home by 1 (despite having the ball for the last possession of both games), both of which we should have won. We lost in OT to Indiana on the road in a game that we should have won down the stretch (and there was a ridiculously bad foul call that helped Indiana down the stretch which didn't help things). We lost in OT at Northwestern, by one against Texas A&M on a neutral court, and by 5 against both Miami and Portland. The team couldn't finish games all season which definitely hurt, but if a couple of those games went our way, we'd have been a tournament lock before the Big Ten tourney even started.

Oh, and we lost our starting point guard (and one of the best defensive guards in the nation) for Big 10 play and played the whole season without our top 2 recruits entering the year (Royce White and Trevor Mbakwe). So yeah, it's been an ugly, ugly year to be a Gopher fan.

Edited by Felix